Left 15" MacBook Pro In Sleep For A Few Days, Now There's Flickering Red Dots

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Aug 13, 2009.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I left my 15" (late 2008) MacBook Pro in sleep for a few days, and when I opened it again today there are red dots flickering across shades of black on my external monitor, with both the 9600M and the 9400M. Since so many people leave their MacBook Pro on all of the time (I don't usually), I'm assuming that I haven't damaged anything. My MacBook Pro didn't seem hot, either. Hopefully, after restarting my MBP the problem goes away...

2. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

After restarting my MBP (and installing the new updates), the flickering red dots are still there. Do you guys think that this will go away if I leave the system off for a day or that the logic board/video card is permanently damaged? I really, really don't trust that the Genius Bar could do a repair without damaging my MBP, and I really never take it anywhere so I wouldn't have a way to bring my MBP in that I would be happy with without spending money on a case. What are the chances that I could get a replacement MacBook Pro or a $2500 credit? I figure that a Mac Pro or an iMac would suit me better, anyway, since I don't travel with my MacBook Pro. My MBP is in pristine condition (you literally wouldn't be able to tell between mine and a brand new MBP) partly because I always have it hooked up to an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and because I prefer it that way, it helps resale as well. I wouldn't want to be dissatisfied with a repair for a $2500 system, which I could already see happening, so I'd really just like a replacement system if this problem doesn't go away...

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Um youll get nothing if your not willing to get it worked on. Ur def. not getting a credit or full replacement. Just take good pics of your mac before you take it in. And if its scratched when you get it back, ream someone and get it fixed or compensated for. Why did you get a laptop if its just going to sit on a desk always?

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I wasn't sure if I was going to travel with my MBP or not, and I wound up never taking it anywhere, and my desktop setup was superior to the MBP keyboard/trackpad/display so I always used my desktop setup. I never really minded that since I'm a fan of the Mac OS and Apple's products. I only notice the red dots on my external display, not my MacBook Pro's display, so could this go away if I leave the system off?

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Well if its only on the display and not your mac then they will probably do nothing. Id hook up another computer to your screen and see if their still there. Then hook your mac up to a different screen to see if the dots are still there. If you can replicate the dots on different screens then you can show a genius and get on the road to getting fixed. Unless your mac is hot i dont think leaving it off will do anything. But if your not going to use it, shut it down and start it up some time later. Also, reset the pram and smc, the usual stuff.

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I don't have another computer to hook up my display to nor do I have another display to test. Those red dots seem like a common problem with a faulty logic board, and they don't seem like they would be a problem with the display, though they might.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Since I have this problem with both the 9400M and the 9600M and it's only noticeable on my external monitor, what's the chance that it's just my monitor (which is unfortunately out of warranty)? What's the chance that this will be gone tomorrow?

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The only way to find that out would be to get another computer to test it with.

9. lee0539 macrumors newbie

I'm having same issue... Only on external and not macbook pro monitor. Same video card too. Did you find out what the problem is?

10. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Nil, zero, not a chance. If you have Apple Care, your option is to have Apple attempt a repair. They don't just refund a purchase price because you don't feel like bringing your laptop in.

11. lee0539 macrumors newbie

Can someone answer question about the problem? Do they do credit for a new macbook pro if they have to replace the whole motherboard? Because I'm guessing to change the logic board will cost a lot if it is a logic board problem.