Left 4 Dead 2 on MBP 13" 2010 2.4ghz 320m runs in OSX wonderfully (video link)

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by aznguyen316, Oct 5, 2010.

1. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Hey guys just wanted to show this off, a video I made earlier and it took a couple hours to upload thanks to DSL :mad:

anyway, gameplay video of the new DLC and I comment on FPS throughout as I have the fps counter up (net_graph 1) anyway enjoy!

OSX 10.6.4
    2.4ghz
    320m
    4gb ram

Left 4 Dead 2 gameplay on MBP native osx

ran average of 40-50 fps, dropped to 29-30 at the tank "scene" but hovered at least 40+ almost all the time else up to 60; game settings in video; shaders medium, effect low, model medium, no AA, native res 1280x800, no vsync, AF trilinear etc etc

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Hey thanks for the vid upload. Still waiting for mine to finish downloading haha

3. skatementle macrumors member

yesh

13" macbook pro mid 2010 (same as yours) games recommended settings were 800x600 all etting low except shaders i think trilinear...set it to what you have runs the same but looks better.

4. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

What do you guys think how this will run on my unibody MBP 2.5 Ghz with 9600m :)

5. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

it will run as well!! prob even better even at 1440x900

6. Sir Lorad macrumors member

I'll test it tonight on my macbook late'09.

Hope it runs fine.

7. Amino Man macrumors 6502

Doesn't run very smooth on my Mac Pro with the ATI 4870.

Looks like I'll still have to boot into Windows 7 to play it.

8. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

9. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

well, you seemed to set video pretty low. then you said 40-50fps? with my sony laptop F, for the same setting, I got 160fps. I usually set up video max out. I still get 55-69fps. what's wrong with macbook? is that what laptop can perform? that's pretty lame. that's why mac (probably excepting desktop) laptop is not for gaming. so people are pretty happy with that lower setting? LOL. you waste your money. better buy PC laptop which is way way better, and cheap. I guess that people are happy because they don't need to run bootcamp, right? yeah, keep dreaming.

10. rbarris macrumors 6502

I might have missed the memo where 60 FPS is no longer fun.

11. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

This topic always brings out the weirdos. The video shows it running smoothly - that's what matters. That's a big improvement from having to install windows to play it AT ALL.

Nobody bought a Macbook just to game. And you type like Cookie Monster.

12. ikir macrumors 6502a

Runs super smooth here on Mac pro with 4870. Have you updated to 10.6.4 and graphic update? I'm playing in full hd with all to max and it is ultra fast.

13. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I wasted my money? Oh yeah that's right.. I bought this MBP to PURELY game and do nothing else with it.. damn I should've known better and got a PC so I didn't waste my money..

the gaming part of it is just an awesome bonus - and yes it can game and I can enjoy the gaming that I get out of it, but it's a hell of a laptop for the other things I do with it (which is 90% of my other uses) - school, productivity, web browsing, videos, music, etc etc.. but I don't need to go into that.. 10hr battery life ftw!

14. Green™ macrumors member

Haha, so true. He's just bitter his machine doesn't run OSX. Enjoy your daily defragmentation buddy. :D

Also, MBP 15' 2009 runs at 40-45 fps so woot! Medium settings

15. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

don't get me wrong. I just told you truth. by the way, I have macbook pro as well. it is 2009 model. 15 inch. again, I don't use my mac for gaming because I already knew it is sucks. don't assume what I get, and who I am. it's not contest who get more and less. anyway, I have pretty much recent Apple device. oh, I just got ipad about 2 month ago. but I am not a fanboy. whatever it is PC, or Mac, it doesn't matter to me. they are just device to use.

oh, one more thing. some of you who don't know really about windows 7. defragmentation is automatically managed under windows 7 when you set schedule. then forget about it. windows 7 will do the rest. plus, even there is an option for defrag, modern PC doesn't really need defrag. why? you have biggest HD space. so you don't need to squeeze all data into the line. got it?

yeah, I am sorry what I said. but again, don't get me wrong.

16. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

the mac only started getting steam support a few months back. I think its just fine for now. they are still working on optimizing the drivers to work better with steam and such. The games run brilliantly on the same hardware under Windows. I say give it a few months so that the drivers will be mature gaming wise.

17. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

don't assume, yet you said I wasted my money? So you assumed I bought my MBP just so I could game on it and hence it was a waste of money... I do A LOT more than game on my MBP, a lot more. Gaming is a good 10% of what I do with my MBP...everything else, and still including gaming, has been well worth what I paid for my MBP.

And yeah I am happier I don't have to run Bootcamp, I don't mind when I do, but when L4D2 runs as well as it does in OSX, I'm good for that. You assume that I require higher video settings to enjoy the game or to feel like I got the most out of my money.

18. Youngchild macrumors member

Youngchild

I tried out L4D2 on my 2009 MBP (2.8Ghz 512MB 9600) and was pleasantly surprised at the results (40+ FPS is definitely acceptable for me). In fact, I think I get better performance from L4D2 then I do in TF2 - where the FPS numbers can be pretty sporadic due to the high number of objects and events happening.

I imagine performance will improve over time.

This made me laugh, well said. :)

19. Dartcr macrumors newbie

A doubt from a mac noob...

I owned a MBP 15' i7 and is supposed video (intel - nvidia) will switch automatically, right?

20. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

It should automatically use the 330m

21. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I just booted it up and I had a little play on the cinema display. Beautiful slideshow. I think I will play it on the small monitor for now...

22. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Tried to play it on my 2.53 GHZ MBP with 9600m GT. and it really doesn't work. Stutters as hell... :(

23. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Should work, the 9600m is more powerful than the 320. Did you adjust the settings? I can run it on my iMac with the radeon 2600 at native res and mediumish settings

24. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Yap, i put everything to medium and it starts to stutter pretty much as soon as there are severa zombies onscreen. Offline it's a bit better but still not a joy

25. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

I need to try it on mine in osX, i've played it a lot on my 9600M in Windows a lot online and at LAN parties.. It should be fine. I wouldn't run it at native res though?