iPhone XR Left ear - other caller can’t hear me

james.nz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
Hey all,

Strange issue. When I pick up a call and bring the iPhone XR to my left ear, the other person can’t hear me. I then have to shift it to my right ear and they can hear me just fine.

Um... what’s going on?

TIA

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey all,

Strange issue. When I pick up a call and bring the iPhone XR to my left ear, the other person can’t hear me. I then have to shift it to my right ear and they can hear me just fine.

Um... what’s going on?

TIA
Perhaps it's the way you are holding it where when it's by hour left ear your grasp of the phone overs the microphone?

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Hey all,

Um... what’s going on?

TIA
Just avoid holding it in that way.

Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its microphone performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the microphones.

Reezus

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018
Honestly I've had the same issue with my XR. I figure I just hold it wrong in my left hand, never had the problem before but this is my first iPhone since the 3G.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
My mother does this to me constantly when I call her. I've resolved it to being the way she grips and articulates her phone to her head. No matter what phone it is the audio will muffle randomly as she focuses on doing other things. I've presented demonstrations to her of this but she still persists in doing it. I think what is happening here is the same thing, you are articulating the phone into your face and/or gripping it in a way that causes issues for the caller.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Found out when I would talk laying down in bed with the phone upside down, it would often cut out the speakerphone for whatever reason. Eventually found out I was putting my pinky on the mic spots on the bottom of the phone and that's what was doing it. Took 6+ months to figure that out on my end and only happened with my right hand. lol.

Reactions: Newtons Apple