Left fan 2,100 rpm, Right fan 6,500 rpm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrstphrtlbt, Jan 31, 2008.

1. chrstphrtlbt macrumors newbie

hey there. i have a problem with my Macbook Pro. i've had it since August, it's the middle range model. 2.4ghz, led screen, etc

anyway, a friend of mine has the same spec, and this problem hasn't transcended computer. basically, NO MATTER WHAT, the right fan is running at 6,500 rpm and i've not been able to find a solution to this problem. i did actually try get help at an Apple Store, but the only slots available were on a Saturday, and it's absolutely hellish in the Oxford Street branch that day

[​IMG]

there's an iStat reading, and it's been like this for the last week or so? this has only happened since the upgrade to Leopard, i know that for sure. does anyone have a solution to this? has this happened to you, or to someone else you know? has this already been solved on these forums?! i would love for this to be fixed, it's incredibly annoying; especially when trying to watch films and all you can hear is the damn fan! any help would be appreciated!

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I think your logicboard's temperature sensor is messed up.
    Do you have Apple care? If you do, you can call apple and they will probably send you a replacement, or have it repaired.
    If you don't your best bet would be to book an appointment at the apple store, and go in and get it fixed. OR if you want, find an Apple Authorized Service Provider, who fixes things. You can find the ones closest to you http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304398.
    Hope that helped

3. chrstphrtlbt thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, this isn't good. i've got apple care for 3 years, how long do you think this process of discovery (on their behalf), and repair could take? a week? i have a hell of a lot of work to do as i'm doing a photography degree, and i'm a digital boy. i need the laptop for editing purposes, there are macs at the uni, but they aren't as good and there is limited time on them each day

a friend here had her macbook play up, and she went to get it sorted and it only took a week, but i fear it might take far longer! of course, i need it repaired, and the longer i leave it the worse things could get, but i need it as much as possible as i don't have an alternative for home use!

4. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Not sure what the deal with your fans is but my PowerBook has been into Apple three times and the entire process has never taken more than a week and it was done all by mail.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've had a 2-day turnaround on a repair before. Amazed me.

6. RHD macrumors 6502

Um, this may be dumb, but A: if it's only happened since you upgraded to Leopard, wouldn' t it be easier to re-install Tiger first to see if that fixes it so at least you know if it's hardware or software, and B: do you know exactly what the fans are supposed to be running at on average?

I recently had fan trouble with my old TiBook and I only knew about it because one of them started making a horrible noise. (iStat doesn't do powerPC) So I lifted the keyboard and cleaned large quantities of dust out of the fan's vicinity and now it's a lot quieter.

The computer performance, such as it is on a machine this stately in years, seemed unaffected at any point.

7. chrstphrtlbt thread starter macrumors newbie

i think i may try that, yes. the average should be around 2,000 each, meaning it is near silent. i will bring it into the Apple store on a quiet day and see what they can do. thanks everyone

8. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Try resetting your SMC (Controller), power machine completely down remove bat and hold pwr button for 5 seconds I think. I think you should get ONYx too I Use it, it repairs permissions and all kinds of other things read up on it, see if its useful.

Cheers

9. chrstphrtlbt thread starter macrumors newbie

i did try this, but it didn't work. if i re-install leopard, or even go back to tiger will i lose any data at all? i'm a first time mac user, so not everything is entirely clear. when you re-install you just update, or refresh and re-install the system files? is that correct?

10. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Well IMHO, you want to do a CLEAN install that way you could install what you want, delete some languages save a little space. BUT the most important thing is backing up your data. a wise Mac user told me about five years ago that if you need it you'll need to back it up. back up everything then you can use migration assistant to load everything you want back on your Machine after you wipe and reload. I personally have a two HD' just incase a failure occurs.