Left iPhone on roof of car

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frostbyte32, May 15, 2012.

1. frostbyte32 macrumors member

I sat my 4s on the roof of my car while putting my daughter in her car seat. We drove downthe road and heard something hit our trunk and my wife turned around and answered my "what the heck was that?!?!" with..."your phone!"

Luckily I had bought an otterbox impact case because it rolled end over end down the highway. We were going about 50 mph and I expected it to be trashed....but only a minor chip on the bottom left that is invisible with the case on it....insane!

Thanks Otterbox!

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

4. frostbyte32 thread starter macrumors member

Buy an otterbox.....or be more aware

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

apple products are durable.

i remember when IBM still made notebooks. there were reports of them being exposed to all sorts of conditions and they survived.

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Yes and the results would have been the same without the Otterbox.

Michael

7. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

8. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

What type of otterbox case did you have? I'm surprised there was even a scratch on the iPhone if it's there most protective case.

Your situation is a nice real world example for the case.

9. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Yes, remove the Otterbox and the glass and metal would have survived no problem at a 50 mph drop... let alone from a 2 foot drop lol :rolleyes:

Congrats OP lol. I don't know what the impact is, but I had (still have) the defender for the 3GS, that was one solid case, even hard as hell to get off.

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

How did it get a chip on the corner with the case on?

11. b24pgg macrumors 65816

12. 1080p, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Over the years I have developed a set of cardinal rules regarding iPhones. They can be applied to any smartphone... but since myself and a lot of my friends are Apple fans... I call them my iPhone Cardinal Rules. It is very simple. Following them has caused me to never lose or misplace an iPhone.

Cardinal Rule #1.

If your iPhone isn't in your hand, it's in your pocket.

Cardinal Rule #2.

If your iPhone isn't in your pocket it's in your hand.

There are only 2 exceptions to Cardinal Rule #2.

#1 Exception:
    If you are home, your iPhone can be left at your charge/sync area to charge or sync if that is consistently the same place you charge/sync. Don't constantly move your charger around your house.

#2 Exception:
    If you have a docking station for your iPhone in your vehicle, you may dock it there while driving, but under no circumstances are you to leave your vehicle unless you execute Cardinal Rule #1 or #2.

I recite these rules to friends who leave their phones on the table while enjoying a meal at the restaurant. By doing this, you are just asking for a drink to spill on your phone or to just forget it when you pay your bill and leave.

Another one for guys is leaving it on the top of a urinal toilet while going to the bathroom. Why not just stick it in your pocket while you take a pee?

13. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I'll never forget the time when a buddy was taking a leak and put his iPhone on top of the toilet. It went off and vibrated itself into teh water before he could react, and was still peeing... b/c ya know once you start can't stop lol.

14. completing macrumors member

It reminds me of the story that an old Samsung phone getting run over by a truck and surviving with out a scratch.

I wish iPhone had a better durability, so people can actually use and enjoy the design without covering up with ugly cases.

15. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The ThinkPad line. It's made by Lenovo now.

You will never find a stronger consumer laptop. I have dropped mine about 2 stories into a muddy puddle. A small dent and had to clean out the keys and fan hole, but the computer ran like a tank.

I hate otterboxes, but I think I might get one if I can find one that doesn't make the phone look like crap. Also, do they ALL have otterbox written on the bottom? I **HATE** that.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Panasonic Toughbooks > * / that debate.

17. BustedVisaCard macrumors newbie

I like otter box.. but they too big.

I only used mine while I was camping. Otherwise, naked. I can afford the $160 to have a new one over-nighted to me if I break mine.

18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Toughbooks aren't consumer marketed.

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

You don't understand the first rule of owning an iPhone: Death-grip until you sit it down in it's final resting place. Be it pocket, purse, cup holder, desk. Nowhere in between.

20. cynics macrumors G4

I have a buddy with a Otterbox defender. He literally throws his phone around. Phone works fine but the volume buttons don't work, miracle it works at all.

I had the Otterbox commuter but the latest gen is poorly designed IMO. There is no rubber around camera area and the cases plastic has made some minor scratches around the camera. I'm assuming some debris got in there.

Needless to say I'm not too happy with Otterbox. I currently have my iPhone hermetically sealed in a overpriced life proof case.

21. frostbyte32, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

frostbyte32 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Here is a picture of the phone and case...you can see the phone has a small chip on the bottom left corner from hitting the road, but that's it. I took the picture with my iPad2 so sorry if the quality isn't great.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the damage to the silicone case. It's a very small cut from the road rash. My phone wouldn't even focus on it.

[​IMG]

I bought the case off e-bay for like $7 (you can find them for cheaper)...you can search "iPhone 4s Otterbox Impact Case" and find them from multiple sellers. I won't list any so you don't think I'm some guy just trying to sell the case. I'm just a happy consumer that doesn't have to spend $200 to get his phone fixed.

Also...if you need more proof...my wife wrote about it on her blog...

22. frostbyte32 thread starter macrumors member

I had the "Otterbox Impact Case"...basically just a silicone case. I think the scratch was just because the silicone is a little loose from putting the phone in it.

----------

It's more like a scuff than a chip, but there's definitely a small almost unnoticable spot that was blemmished as a result.

How did it happen? Your guess is as good as mine...but I imagine flying from 5 feet at 50mph would do that. I imagine in the time it was rolling down the road that the silicone moved a tiny amount.

23. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

....don't be stupid and careless. :)

24. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

That is pretty good for that case. But had it been an Otterbox Defender it most likely wouldn't have gotten damaged at all.

I just can't bring myself to use such a big case.

Michael

25. wilhub macrumors member

I am a Otterbox believer.

I have had a Otterbox defender on my iPhone 4 since they became available. Before Otterbox I never had a cell phone last more than a year.

My iPhone 4 will be two years old in June and it is in mint condition.

I will admit it I am clumsy. My iPhone has been dropped a several times. With the Otterbox my iPhone takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Thank God for Otterbox.