Left leaning groups want to investigate foreign influence in election...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, May 23, 2017.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

And do you think that Americans should just forget about investigating the extent to which Russia figures in the current government of the USA?

I'm pretty sure trying to influence an election from elsewhere is not only against the law in most countries but also fairly common. We are a planet of meddlers, and have been that since before human history began, judging from dispersal of assorted flora and fauna.

The question for humans is where to draw lines, and what to do about outsiders trying to help or deter insiders.

If Donald Trump and his staff are running the US government in a fashion that's free and clear of all influence by other countries, good news for us. If he's not, and he's lying about it, or they're lying about it, we'll find out, and the Constitution provides remedies.

For the sake of your country I hope Canada has appropriate remedies as well. I was perhaps not a fan of Mr. Harper, but I believe Canadians get to pick their own leaders.

3. JMacHack macrumors 6502

Hypocrisy is present in the whole political spectrum.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Some "hypocrisy" can be the natural offshoot of a democratic government. We try to weed out tyranny of the majority in western democracies but that's not to say there still aren't winners and losers on policy in an election.

So if I was against the War in Vietnam, for example, then when confronted with Lyndon Johnson administration's income tax surcharge specifically laid on to help finance that war, I had two choices: quit my job (since the surcharge was withheld from wages) or accept that I was financing the war just by showing up to my non-war-related job every day.

One may call my choice to do the latter "hypocritical" since I also marched against the war, wrote to Congress critters and the White House, etc. But, it was not my choice to be hypocritical, per se. I had weighed the options and chose ways other than quitting my job and not paying that tax to express my disapproval of a particular policy of my government.

Were my ways less effective than helping deprive the government of its war chest? I don't know. I think the protests had something to do with pressuring the government to find an exit from Vietnam. All I know is that if I had not protested, considering my views, and I was also allowing that tax to be taken from my pay, then I would have felt like a hypocrite, yes.

5. JMacHack macrumors 6502

I guess by that metric, you're in a limbo of being/not being hypocritical. By that metric I think I'm a hypocrite as well, since I pay taxes, yet believe in the idea of Civil Disobedience (which Thoreau said that not paying taxes was a valid action).

It's a conundrum isn't it?

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

... and the right wants to look into voter fraud. I say lets have at it, it's not my tax money.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Looking into 0.000nnn rate of voter fraud while we wonder who's actually running the government is a little like back in 2003 when we tried to reorganize how Iraqis should run their economy while we systematically dismissed anyone who ever held a Baath party card in their pocket to get a job, and who incidentally had managed all the factories, power plants and other utilities in the country... BASSACKWARDS.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Illegal is illegal. If it's against Canada's voting laws, then prosecute the offenders or sew up the loopholes that allow the money in. Fix the problem. Don't use it as an excuse to allow more of it.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

One more time.

Trump is President of these United States. Not Canada.