Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
So I left my $2,700 2012 unibody (non retina), high res, ssd, 2.4gHz i7 MacBook Pro out in the rain. I let it dry in rice for two days. Today I took the entire thing apart including the logic board and dried everything as well as cleaned some parts with alcohol. Things were looking good, but I got it all back together and nothing...not even the light when I plug the charger in.

My question is...what should I do with it? Is it probably the logic board? Is it worth fixing? Can I sell it? Any pointers in the right direction? I have no clue what to do.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Take it to an Apple Store. See what the 'Genius' says and get an estimated cost of repair. There might be a small chance that you just hooked something up wrong. If not, it will be spendy.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
It is probably the logic board, maybe a HD faliure as well. You should call Apple and ask them how much to fix-it will be a lot, around 700-1200 USD. But at least it will give you an idea. While you're at it, dry it in rice for a few more days (two days wasn't enough) and try again in a week or two to be safe.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
the light wouldnt even turn on when i connected the charger which leads me to believe at the very least the magsafe board is fried and most likely the logic board.

how much is a logic board for a late 2012 non retina 15" MBP?

on a side note: i just bought an ipad because i need something for a business trip im going on and i wasnt sure if i wanted to buy a MacBook Air or a ipad. i cant afford another top of the like 15" MBP. plus i have a beastly hackintosh that i use for all my hefty audio production work. i bought the MBP before that.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
the light wouldnt even turn on when i connected

how much is a logic board for a late 2012 non retina 15" MBP?

on a side note: i just bought an ipad because i need something for a business trip im going on and i wasnt sure if i wanted to buy a MacBook Air or a ipad. i cant afford another top of the like 15" MBP. plus i have a beastly hackintosh that i use for all my hefty audio production work. i bought the MBP before that.

I cannot speak AT ALL on their Quality of Work, but I did read something about them once and saved a Link because of it.. Might be worth a try at least, as pricing is NOT ridiculous vs. Apple Repair which was over $900 (mine was AppleCare) on my 2007 that died!! Good Luck :apple:

http://www.dttservice.com/macbookpro.html

Last edited:

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
I hope you got applecare+ ...

So I left my $2,700 2012 unibody (non retina), high res, ssd, 2.4gHz i7 MacBook Pro out in the rain. I let it dry in rice for two days. Today I took the entire thing apart including the logic board and dried everything as well as cleaned some parts with alcohol. Things were looking good, but I got it all back together and nothing...not even the light when I plug the charger in.

My question is...what should I do with it? Is it probably the logic board? Is it worth fixing? Can I sell it? Any pointers in the right direction? I have no clue what to do.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

My condolences. You must have felt awful when you discovered that! I agree with above posters. Take it to the Apple store and at least get a quote. You might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
My condolences. You must have felt awful when you discovered that! I agree with above posters. Take it to the Apple store and at least get a quote. You might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

You can also check a site called liquidspill, heard they are good.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Think if this was me I be having trip over with it and claiming off my house insurance :D but hopefully it won't cost the earth to get it repaired by Apple.

Take it in to a Genius Bar and you might get a shock it's something simple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.