Legal 3D printed guns?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Mar 17, 2013.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/17/4115652/defense-distributed-gets-federal-firearms-license

What could possibly go wrong...

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sounds like "incitement" to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inchoate_offences_in_English_law#Incitement

3. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

How is 3D printing different than any other form of manufacturing?

Right now you can buy a raw aluminum forging for a AR-15 lower receiver that has no serial on it and you're not required to go through a FFL. The dimensional plans for the AR-15 receiver are available on line, so with a few hours on a mill you can make your own functional receiver pretty easily if you know what you're doing.

As long as your completed weapon would be equivilant to something you could legally purchase (i.e. not fully automatic) building a gun from scratch in your garage is totally legal.

4. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

5. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Just like this thread. The title is "Legal 3D printed guns" when in fact the company is not printing whole guns, nor is anyone else.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It isn't. 30 years ago this was called "computer aided machining." The concept of "3D printing" isn't new, it's just a new name for something that's been around for a long, long time.

7. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

computer aided machining and 3d printing are non synonymous. I guess you could call 3d printing as a class of computer aided machining tough 30 years ago it was CAD modeling controlling a CNC system (drilling/cutting etc.) not a 3D resin printer.

With computer aided machining you traditionally start with a solid block of metal and the tools cut out bits to construct a part, rather than "print" the part out of raw materials.

8. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

And with printing you start with a solid block of nothing and add bits to construct your part. It's actually pretty cool. We have one here where I work.