Legal in Asia but illegal in America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Sep 11, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

this is Murika, land of the free as long as you have your permit..............

2. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Stop voting for more government if you don't like it. This is a classic case of More Government.

3. 0007776 Suspended

Well what party doesn't want more government? It's just a difference of where they want to expand government.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

sad but true :(

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't care about the size of government if it serves the needs of the people.

6. cube macrumors P6

There's something called food safety standards.

7. samiwas macrumors 68000

No. This is the classic case of wrongly-applying the law. I'm pretty sure there is no law that would allow the officer to just take money out of the man's wallet. But, I have absolutely zero desire to research that.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2017 ---
    Exactly. You can't support building a wall (or the candidate who talks about such things) with all these new people to enforce it, and a vast expansion of military, and also claim you don't like more government. Because that's exactly what you like. You just like it to enforce the things you want.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Street vendors should be licensed so that they can be audited for health violations.

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

That’s not the issue. Give the man a citation and move on. The officer was a thug and stole his money.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Please explain how this is a case of "more government" and not simple a case of a vendor not having a permit to sell food on the street. Street vendors needing a permit is common practice across this country. Sure the cop could have handled it differently and I feel bad for the vendor just looking to make ends meat ;). But in what way does "more gov" play into this? When selling food on the streets, it makes sense to have some regulations in place, just as it does to sell food in a restaurant.

11. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Give them a warning and just require them to be checked for health violations. They can just do a random check to make sure what ever they are selling is not bad. If it is good then they should be able and allowed to sell it.

12. Zombie Acorn, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Police aren't trained in food safety. Why would you require all restaurants to have food safety requirements and then just say screw it for some random dood with a cart?

As for the comparison to China I think I remember hearing some fairly harsh punishment for selling bad food product. Like not a fine type punishment.

13. DearthnVader, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Sorry, but it is the proper role of Government to regulate commerce. Some street vendor selling his wares my pose many threats to society.

Street vendors use to sell ice cream by the "lick", they would reuse the same small glass bowls and allow everyone to lick from them. People were getting sick, making it a public health issue, government stepped in, as it should.

[​IMG]

https://icecreamjournal.turkeyhill....5/did-you-know-the-history-of-the-penny-lick/

Unregulated food vendors isn't really something we want, in practice. I'd like to know that someone is looking into what I am eating, to ensure that it is "reasonably safe".

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Having just been laid out flat on my back for days with presumed food poisoning (as in, 'OMG, just kill me already you damned bacterium/virus'), I think it is reasonable that vendors be certified as safe. DarthnVader is right.

15. cube macrumors P6

Wow.

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I'm amused by comments railing against the requirement for permits, described as more government. Lol. :rolleyes: Have you been to downtown areas, but think it's unreasonable for cities to dictate where and how many street vendors should be allowed? If there is an issue, it's what the cop did with the money he stuffed in his pocket.

17. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Actually I can. See those things you mentioned are Constitutional, ie part of what the Federal Government is supposed to do based on the Constitution.

18. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

That is scary. One persons need can be another mans handcuff.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Bacon hot dogs: life is beautiful !
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    Agreed. Basic health regulations and basic licensing (which is the way to enforce health regulation) is not big government. It's common sense.

20. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Legal in Asia

In Kazakhstan? Sri Lanka? North Korea? SaudiArabia?

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Just as one man's regulation free street meat vendor is another man's day chained to the toilet.

22. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yes, it is, but sometimes it goes too far. For example, police officers shutting down kids lemonade stands or Girl Scout cookie sales.

23. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Having lived in Asia for 25 years I have learned that word gets around fairly quickly on the streets where one can eat and where one can not eat from street vendors selling food and drinks. I say to let the people choose and pick for themselves
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    China,Saudi Arabia,Thailand,Taiwan,Myanmar,etc..

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nati...-After-Police-Seize-His-Wallet-443818753.html