Legal to put iTunes song in iWeb site?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stovetop6872, Apr 27, 2008.

1. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Hello. I have a DVD/photography editing business website that I would like to put some music on. Its brad paisley "little moments". I bought the cd and have the song so I was wondering if it is LEGAL to put it on for background music. I've heard yes, no, and only 30 seconds of it. So please clarify, thanks.

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

According to the Fair Use Doctrine (Section 110 (5) of the Copyright Act of 1976), it is allowable to use "limited portions" of a copyrighted item for works such as commentary, news reporting, academic reports, and the like. But you still have to give credit. You cannot claim the work as yours. You must cite where it came from. - HTML Goodies

In this case, you'd list the song title, performer, etc., and in limited portions, not the entire song. Just because you've purchased a copy of the song, doesn't mean you have a right to publicly present it. Personally, I'd avoid publishing copyrighted material on your iWeb site where you lack the written permission of the copyright holder.

The fact that your site is your for-profit business makes it even less likely that you can claim usage under the Fair Use Doctrine.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Fair Use is not going to cover background music (which, as a side note, is a terrible idea: at least 90% hate it). Fair Use allows limited reproduction where the copyrighted item is being discussed, commented on etc. It does not allow reproduction where the item has nothing to do with the rest of the content.