Legalize Prostitution ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, May 31, 2019.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

There is an article in the NY Times showing that the next trend will be legalizing prostitution in the US.

After reading the article, I think that legalization will eventually happen but I'm still not sure it's a good thing.

What are people's opinions on prostitution legalization and should it be regulated ?

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

3. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Legalize it and get the money out of the hands of organized crime.

Same goes for marijuana.

4. LordVic macrumors 603

I think Legalization of prostitution, within a proper, well thought out legal framework that regulates and monitors the industry can be a good thing. The benefits are esimilar to the pro-cannabis legalization debate.

1. Reduce policing budgets. If you're no longer having to enforce the bulk of prostitution laws, you can reduce the enforcement numbers and budget of law enforcement. No longer need "vice" sitting on the corners busting johns. this also saves money on incarceration as less people will be in jail for prostitution related crimes.

2. Crime Reduction: It takes the "pimps" out of the equation. The pimps being the illegal mobsters and people currently running prostitution rings, often by violence and other mafia like behaviours. it also reduces the abuse the prostitutes would take from their "Bosses".

3. Disease prevention and safety: Regulate the industry. If you want to work as a prostitute, you'll take regular disease screening to get your license. Brothels can also be regulated for health and safety to keep things clean and safe

I'm sure we can also list a few dozen other pro's of legalization of prostitution. In historical cultural instances where prostitution was legal, it tended to be a well, clean and successful part of those societies.

5. benshive macrumors regular

In countries where prostitution is legal the prostitutes are treated much better. The prohibition of substances or activities never stops them from occurring, it just drives them underground and they become more dangerous. It's funny that in a country that prides itself on being the "land of the free" we still have so many laws telling people what they can and can't do with their own bodies.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

legalize yet, not sure you can really regulate it.

8. raqball macrumors 68000

Regulate her body? What happened to the argument that it's her body and she can do as she pleases with it?

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

They need to make sure the "ladies" are clean, no STD (well, duh:oops:) and no contagious illnesses (flu, cold and so on) while active.

And they need to make sure the Johns are tested clean as well. We can't have a John with a dirty johnson shorten a promising career.;)

10. raqball macrumors 68000

Now that's funny! :D

[​IMG]

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that is far too much GOVT interference, but I am willing to work as quality control for the girls to test the theory that things will work :p

12. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Is your body regulated?

13. raqball macrumors 68000

Not what I asked.. Care to follow the topic?

In some instances people say its her body and she can do as she pleases with it. In this instance they are calling on her body to be regulated...

So which is it, regulate her body or not......

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Calling on her body to be regulated when it can effect the health of the general public.

so is this going to wind up as another abortion debate? Stay tuned!

15. raqball macrumors 68000

Oh so it's only her body when you want it to be.. Got it!

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Another sad, disingenuous, and obtuse interpretation of my statement. It's her body at all times. She has the right to self determination, that right though is called into question when it affects the rights of others.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So are these hookers going to have liability insurance? It's all fun and games until you get a wart on your cock. Can't wait to see who jumps in to underwrite those policies. "I'd like to bundle my ass with my renters and auto policy if possible. Talk to me about term life as well in case I get the AIDS.

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

You know it wouldn't be a bad idea to go along with the frequent checking of STDs on all participating parties. But I don't think you'd want to go to your State Farm insurance broker and say I'm gonna need STD insurance cause I'm headed to Nevada for a week...

19. LordVic macrumors 603

I wouldn't even say that the right is called into question by mandatory drug screening for prositution.

i would say that it is a bonofide requirement. Women (or men) who want to work in prostitution are more than free to go out and get STD's. They just can't workin the profession anymore.

at no point is the body regulated. Just the employment requirements. that is significantly different than telling someone what to do with their body.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yes but the why those are the requirements is the detrimental impact on the health of consumers, and the general public. Which appears lost on some.

21. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm also not sure how it would be regulated.

If it became legalized / acceptable, what percentage of households would try to supplement their income this way ?

What chance is there that even a majority would follow regulations ?

How would allegations of rape vs counter claims of a business transaction be handled ?

Legalization of prostitution sounds good but there seems like there could be a lot of unintended consequences.

22. LordVic macrumors 603

which means it would need to be well regulated and these questions answered. just like the legalization fo cannabis, it's not something that I believe should just be an open free for all. there is too much risk to public safety.

But a well regulated industry can be setup to account for a lot of those issues.

For example: you can make it so that only licensed brothels can legally have prostitutes. If you do not have a license or work for licensed brothel, and you are found to be prostituting, than you get arrested.

and if it's legal, any household can chose to do it. They just need to ensure that they follow the regulated rules and meet any and all regulations and requirements. if I want o turn my house into a brothel, and i'mwilling to do everything by the book for extra income... than why can't I?

Chances of majority following regulation? That I couldn't answer. as long as the regulations aren't overly onerous, being legally allowed to do something tends to steer people towards those legal means. again, as long as those legal means aren't overly intrusive.

as for allegations of rape? I would hope the same way that any rape is handled. Via the criminal justice system where rapists can be held to justice.

but like the legalization of Cannabis, There are probably hundreds of ammendments and provisions that law makers would need to consider before passing legalization. Such process wouldlikely take a few years of public consultation. Research and scientific study, and then regulations formulated based on those findings (rather than feel good ideas)

23. raqball macrumors 68000

If you say so..

I am just trying to figure out the flip flopping on the whole it's her body and that the government can't tell her what to do with it argument.. Well ----> until now apparently............

Welcome to the merry-go-round - please enjoy the ride......

24. chown33 macrumors 604

25. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

That might work to get rid of many of the unintended consequences.