Legally Beat Your Wife

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ert3, Oct 25, 2010.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Newsy.com Comments

Smack her around just dont take it too far

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Is spanking your children beating them?
    How about a wife/husband who slaps their husband/wife once across the face after discovering infidelity? Is that beating?

Just curious. I agree that definitions are important.

4. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

EDIT: I just remembered how these topics usually go down.

Backing out now.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

6. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

What if she likes spanking?

(Someone had to ask)

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Kids, thats for when mommy and daddy are in heat and in bed...;)

Jokes aside, the Return of Barbaric times...

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

How convenient!

Attached Files:

9. Nieval macrumors 6502

Before everyone jumps to their entitled conclusions (barbaric times?)

The beating that the article is referring to should not exceed a slap on the back of the wrist.
    That's the definition of 'beating' in this context, now feel free to decide whatever you want and generalise as broadly as you feel.

Edit: I'm referring to in Islam, have no idea what the UAE high court is referring to and can't be bothered to be honest.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Oh wow, once again, my arguments are proven invalid and I was beaten into nothingness in less than 4 hours.:eek:

chrmjenkins as the skies as my witness I will bring you down!:D

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Depends on how hard you're spanking and where.
    As Zsa Zsa discovered, a slap can certainly be considered assault. Even if you're really pissed off and feel like it's your right to slap someone in the heat of the moment.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes

Yes.

Unless you're attacked and/or fighting for your life, violence of any kind isn't justified. It doesn't matter if it's in the heat of the moment.

And for reference, I have a wife who's never been slapped and two kids who've never been spanked.

Admittedly, the younger one threw a pencil in preschool, once, three years ago.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes. I was never spanked and turned out fine, and I would never spank my kids.

Beating, as in to a bloody pulp? No. Assault? Yes. Illegal? Yes. Wrong? Yes.

Whether you want to call it beating, slapping, spanking, is irrelevant. Nobody should be hitting anybody for any reason unless it's some consentual kinky sex.

14. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Let's see if I can contradict myself in this post...

1. Spousal abuse is sick. Husbands who batter their wives are disturbed and deserve to be punished accordingly.
    2. Wives who slap their husbands after discovering infidelity are 100% justified most of the time.
    3. I was spanked as a child. I had very loving parents who cared very much for me. There was nothing remotely related to 'beating' involved. Frankly, I wish more people in this world had parents who cared enough to spank them. (no, I'm not saying that spanking is required for any parent who cares, but I am saying that spanking does not equal beating)

Obviously there are gray areas, and obviously cases need to be tried and contested regarding merit and facts specific to that case.

15. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Ive gotta disagree about #2. No one is ever deserving of physical abuse by their partner. Cheating or not, no one "Deserves" a slap unless they slapped first, then they deserve a retaliatory slap :rolleyes:

16. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

We agree on this issue. Unfortunately, much of the Arab world is still very much a medieval society with a sh**load of oil as a money source. We definitely do need alternative sources of energy for many reasons, but mainly to make these countries less significant. IF we can keep nukes out of their hands.:eek:

17. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Sad part is there are fundamentalist Christians right in the US that believe hitting the wife and kids is perfectly fine. They even have books on using plastic plumbing tubing to spank your kids with.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uh no, it's not justified.

Would you find it acceptable for a husband to slap their wife if she's the one screwing around?

19. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

"Obviously there are gray areas, and obviously cases need to be tried and contested regarding merit and facts specific to that case."

Intention to cause bodily damage is an important measure when trying battery vs. assault and a misdemeanor vs. felony offense and simple vs. aggravated offense. If you slap/spank some one and you're not intending to inflict damage... that's one thing. If you're closing your fist and attempting to cause damage, that's another. There are too many variables to consider, thus the 'tried/contested regarding merit/facts' category, things can be very different case to case.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Not even just fundamentalists. There are areas in the US where your neighbors look down on you unless you beat your wife regularly. For a woman, it can be a real uphill battle getting out of an abusive relationship when no one around is supportive. Funny how religion almost always plays a part in these situations.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, violence against another human being, no matter what your intent is, is never justified. Maybe there's a grey area in terms of the severity of punishment, but there should be no grey area in terms of whether or not it's acceptable.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you're talking about closed-fist attacks now, we're in a whole different realm from where you started when you were talking about slaps.

23. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

That's your opinion. The majority of the civilized world I could wager a guess, disagrees with you. Spanking is not amoral, and is certainly 'acceptable' in modern society.

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins