Legendary arms-maker Colt has managed the seemingly impossible: Going bankrupt selling guns American

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jun 15, 2015.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

http://www.fark.com/go/8744195

2. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Meh Colt is another lesson in "adapt or die."

I prefer Kimbers. Beautiful guns (you get what you pay for), those RIA are excellent in the $500 range. I think I'll buy a few more this summer.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Obama needs to try & ban guns again so they can make Colt a profitable CO again, or just bail them out.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

rusted barrels from the factory on plenty of Kimbers, no thanks.
    Sig is my preferred 1911. might still get a RIA. got one lemon from Springfield Armory.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Tunnel vision is the only way you can compare Kimber to Colt

6. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Oh wow, I have never heard that about Kimber. Sigs are nice too.

Plenty of competitors out there. God bless capitalism! :)

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Colt is not all that, over priced based on name only IMHO, at least the ones I have played with.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Kimber is pretty specific to 1911 variations and a few rifles Colt not so much.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

over priced for the "quality" they provide.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You could say that about a lot of products.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

agreed, depends on what you consider "quality".

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Colt's bankruptcy is related to a number of different things. Starting with the fact that they lost a US military contract to supply M4 carbines. Add in an expensive Goldman Sachs loan they managed to miss a payment on. And the fact that lower priced competition in the sport-rifle civilian market destroyed their margins on what had previously been one of their cash cows.

Colt is not going out of business. And their bankruptcy has little, if anything, to do with US domestic politics. Its simply the result of some poor business decisions, and bad timing with relation to the growth of the small arms market.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I saw this news story on the BBC earlier today and, yes, the OP's thread title did cross my mind in the form of a question which is to wonder how on earth can such an iconic brand need to file for bankruptcy in the US when its business and its history and reputation have all come from selling guns?

Ah. A post which places things in three dimensional perspective. Thank you.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we should bail them out :p

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, as I am not from the US, - and I don't own a gun, and, until the past two years, I had never so much as even held one - so, at one level, such a debate has little enough to do with me. But it is a curious and intriguing story.

However, from an economic perspective, I must admit that I had assumed that the market for weaponry and guns in the US could be classed as…..inexhaustible. Bottomless.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

nah, its a roll-a-coaster, up/down/sideways and many times you are like Whisky Tango Foxtrot.
    when things get tight the toys are on the chopping block, buy low/sell high and due to the market you WILL get stuck trying to sell off what you bought in anticipation of gun laws being passed or ammo being banned.
    sold all my M855 ammo and all my AR's with parts in 2012, back in 08 I was stuck with a couple of Saiga rifles that I had to let go at normal price.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It more or less is. More's the pity.

As far as Colt's goes...cripes, if you can't sell guns in this country, you just ain't tryin'.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

They filed for Chapter 11 meaning they request protection from creditors while they reorganize the company.

During this process they will continue to manufacture guns. In fact, I didn't even see any layoffs mentioned. Good news for all those blue-collar union workers in Connecticut who are busy manufacturing weapons.

Despite what you may read on the Interwebs the M4 Carbine is a good, solid weapon.

20. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

He could bankrupt anything

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Just curious. There wouldn't have been any sneaky leveraged buyout deals in the recent past? I don't know anything about Colt's finances, but, so many times, some get-rich-quick "capitalist" (always using OPM- Other People's Money), sneaks up on some financially conservative low/no-debt company, declares that the company is "sluggish", that it needs a turnaround, that its pension fund is "overfunded", and that it has assets that are "locked up", and proceeds to pull a lot of cash out and load up the victim company with a bunch of debt. Oh, and walk away with huge fees for arranging the whole thing. Later on, the bondholders (aka "suckers") lose bigtime, any R&D the company was doing gets killed or sold off to foreign investors for peanuts, and everybody blames current management for the loss instead of the previous regime that set the whole thing in motion.

Not that I am going to cry if Colt goes under. But, I saw this happen (in a small way) up close, and, have read the papers about such things numerous times in the intervening years. In some cases, the perpetrators are outright crooks; in others, they seem to be true believers in something- debt, I guess. Like I said, I have no idea if this scenario applies to Colt. But, that is one way you could go broke selling guns in America.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very good post.

Well, anyone who follows football in (rather than makes money from) the UK will have bitter memories of what happened to Manchester United.

Very good point, and instead of focussing on why the Second Amendment failed to supply a bottomless demand for the traditionally admired products of the Colt company, I shall, instead, busy myself ferreting the business pages of a few publications….

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Colt is a poorly run company, and has declared bankruptcy numerous times.

Over reliance of federal contracts, union labor costs, unwilling to adapt and innovate due to federal foot dragging, limited support for the civilian market for the last two decades due to federal contract obligations.

Colt makes a great product but can't run a business worth a damn, which is why they are continuously in this same situation.

24. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Exactly. I also noticed a severe lack of discussion on the M and AR series of firearms. With a plethora of AR clones available combined with brand indifference Colt has to adapt to the market or suffer just like any other business. I absolutely love my Colt Sporter Match H-Bar for target shooting even though it is the kinder, gentler and watered down AR version thanks to B.J. Clinton. Putting three shots in the same hole at 100 meters is IMO a more accurate definition of gun control.
    :D

25. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Thanks to capitalism, we have competitors and not limited to just one company. There are plenty of 1911 alts and even more for AR15s. I personally prefer Knights Armament. You get what you pay for. ;)