Legendary investor predicts the Euro won't last another 20 years.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

LINK

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Whilst I don't agree that it won't last 20 years, I do agree that we should have joined the Euro. We should have been there from the start. Silly ol' Brits.

3. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Agreed.

You know it's bad when even someone predicting the currency will die says the UK would have been better off using it!

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

He said "I am not sure the euro will last 20 years"

That's a far cry from "won't"

Nothing like a little sensationalism on the part of CNBC.

We'll see in 20 years I guess. He makes a very good point about the pound though. The UK definitely soared to greater heights than did the Eurozone but the depths will also be far greater and may well force it to adopt the Euro in the future.

When high flying is the result of fiscal irresponsibility...

5. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

In their defense, this story is all over the financial web - I just happened to choose the CNBC link.

And not in their defense, the European press seems to be focusing on the "the UK should have changed over to the euro" part of his comments (even the British press) while the US media seems to like the "the euro might go away" stuff.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Until China makes the yuan fully convertible, there will simply be no other viable world currency. In the meantime, the Euro grows stronger partly because it's a shelter from the dollar and as long as oil and aircraft and steel are tied to the dollar, the world will always need a shelter from it.

I think this is simply doom and gloom from all those who've hated the concept of the Euro from the very beginning.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Jim Rogers is trying to make some money from the Euro. Just like last week when he said Britain was bankrupt and that everyone should sell Stirling.

It's in these peoples business interest to "talk down" currencies, especially if they can manufacture, and therefore predict, any sudden falls in value.

Parasitic c**ts.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Is it just me, or does this man talk like the Conservative Manifesto under William Hague?