Legislators take sensible approach to teen sexting.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrmjenkins, Apr 28, 2010.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ard-with-kinder-gentler-teen-sexting-bill.ars

Glad to see my former state of residence is approaching something sensibly for once. Personally, I think this appeals to common sense, as someone cannot exploit themselves.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Should tack a little tail on the bill which forces their parents to go to mandatory parenting courses before reproducing again.

I have to say that labeling these kids sex offenders is going too far, but what exactly are parents doing these days?

3. ethical macrumors 68000

But what can the parents do? Other than educating the children, there's no way you can stop little Princess from snapping a shot of herself in the bathroom mirror, and sending it to her long-term boyfriend of 4 weeks.

I do agree Illinois are taking a step forward though. This is a very hard thing to combat and IMO they've made the right choice.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Kids do stupid things even with the most attentive and responsible parents. Unfortunately, modern technology has taken what used to be a relatively private stage of life for an adolescent and has made it embarassingly public in some cases.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

When we got our daughter her first cell phone, we got her one that did not have a camera on it.

I agree with IL here. While I think sexting is pretty stupid and can lead to some real problems, I don't think that they should be labeled as sex offenders which can follow them for the rest of their lives.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't give your kid a cell with a camera on it if they aren't mature enough to handle it. The real problem is the marshmallow parenting thats going on from the last generation.

7. ethical macrumors 68000

I suppose. But in 5 years time you're gonna be hard pushed to find a phone without a camera on it.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

could always like paint over the lense or superglue a cover over lol

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This seems a bit extreme but what if all pictures taken with the cam were sent to a parental folder so the parents could check what their kids were doing? Maybe companies should start offering that to scare their kids. :cool:

Personally if I had a daughter I would just bust the camera lens out. Problem solved. :cool:

10. ethical macrumors 68000

Haha yeah I guess that would work. Would piss the hell out of the kid, but would work nonetheless :p

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

But, but, you'd be such an effective parent that that wouldn't be necessary.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, did you parents monitor every medium of interaction you had with the outside world? What do you expect them to do, snoop on every text/email/phone call/conversation their kids interact with?

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

What happened to limited government?
    :rolleyes:

14. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

15. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

I was thinking the same thing. While something should be done about "sexting," reading your child's text messages and viewing their private photos definitely isn't okay.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Why not? When we bought our daughter her first cell phone, we told her that we would pick it up at random and look through it. My wife and I only checked a few times. I don't believe that my child has a right to absolute privacy.

17. macfan881 macrumors 68020

If your really worried about it dont give them a Txt plan or give them the Minum Text plan and tell them unless its a Number that's to your or any other Family Member they have to pay for it thats how i would take care of my kids if i was worried about it.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have to agree with this. Keeping track of what your kids do is every parent's responsibility. Kids have no "right to privacy". Parents have every right to know what their kids do- they're responsible for them til 18.

I'm sorry, but if they can't pay for it themselves, no kid should even have a cell phone. I can't believe we're even talking about text plans.

19. ethical macrumors 68000

I agree with you here, it's definitely the parents responsibility to keep an eye on their child, and no kid has a right to absolute privacy.

Why must they pay for it themselves? They are still a kid living out of their parents wallet, because that's what all teenagers do until they get a job. If I was a parent I'd definitely want a way of contacting my child while they are out with their friends, or a way for my child to contact me. What's the problem with 15 year olds having text plans, it's how they communicate in the 21st Century? I just think more needs to be done to monitor what those texts might be used for.

20. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I'm glad that kids won't get the "Sex Offender" label. That seriously ruins your life. You can kiss any good jobs goodbye. I feel sorry for the 18 year olds who had 17 year old girlfriends who got that conviction.

As for what the parents are doing - well, kids have been doing these kinds of things forever. It's just easier to do it nowadays with the technology. I just hope the parents are making the effort to teach their kids at an early age about the dangers of technology (and hopefully the parents are staying up-to-date with what the technology actually is!). I know a lot of clueless parents out there...

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Why the hell not??? Just like with the computer. That stays in the living room so we can see what you are doing on it. Same goes for the cell phone and email.

I am glad they are thinking about this with common sense. I hope this makes it's way over to my neck of the woods also.

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't see the big deal over "sexting". Yes, it requires a certain amount of maturity. But, the same can be said about violent movies and video games. Parents have no problem buying their 12 year old Modern Warfare 2 where you walk through an airport shooting civilians. But, if it involves the perfectly natural( and quite beautiful at least for females ;) :p ) human body, they are up in arms and say, " Where are our morals?".

Again, this all involves maturity. Nothing wrong with it just as long as the kids are mature and the BF doesn't send pics of his topless/naked GF when they break up as revenge or things like that. Just as long as the pics stay between them in private.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Dude, no offense, but your posts are nearly impossible to read. They're giant runon sentences.

How old of a kid are we talking about here? 11? 12? Maybe too young. But I think once they start driving it can be an invaluable tool for them in case of emergency. My parents had a rule for me and my siblings when we got our license: Get a cell phone (we pay for it) if we ever want the keys to the car. I think it was a fair rule, especially since we just added onto their family plan for a whopping 10 bucks a month and we all had jobs at 16 so it wasn't a big deal.