Legislature Passes Embarrassing Bill Outlawing "Human-Animal Hybrids"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

is this actual 'passed' legislature, as the title of the thread suggests, or just a proposal by this idiot? there is a big difference.

i hope for his sake that he nor anyone in his family ever needs any medications, or have to face cancer or other diseases.

2. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

seems real
    SB 1307 makes it a class-six felony to knowingly create such a hybrid during research and class-one misdemeanor to buy or sell a human-animal embryo.

The bill was created by Senator Linda Gray and co-sponsored by the who's-who of the knuckle-dragging Republican legislators in the Arizona Senate, including the architect of SB 1070, Russell Pearce.

We called Senator Gray to find out what mythical planet she thinks she's living on why there's a need for such a bill, but she never got back to us.

The bill passed the Senate with a 16-12 vote and awaits a full vote in the House of Representatives after it was passed in a House panel. [The bill passed the House with a 35-24 vote and has been "transmitted to the Governor."]

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

do you have a link for the bill?
    i'd like to read the actual language.

depending on what this idiots consider an 'hybrid' it would have no effects (except the ridiculing) or it would effectively shut down pretty much all biomedical research in arizona.

4. steve knight, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think there probably is some validity over this guy's concerns.

I really don't think scientists should create human-animal hybrids. I think nature itself has a pretty good means of making sure that doesn't happen.

Where this falls into the weeds is in the details. The human genome is incredibly massive and complicated. And who only knows what small subset of that data, combined in the lab, might be able to do for humanity in general.

Its worth remembering that at one point humans coexisted - and interbred with - another species: the Neanderthals. (Most northern Europeans have a small, but not insignificant, portion of Neanderthal DNA.)

Does that make us evil? A crime against nature?

Maybe.

I don't want some mad scientist creating pigman or Sharkgirl. But I don't want to tie the hands of genetic scientists who are working to create disease resistant crops or livestock that doesn't need antibiotics.

6. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

true but I doubt laws are going to stop a mad scientist.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That has nothing to do with this jackass. There aren't many differing species that can produce offspring. In some cases the resulting offspring has inherent health problems or is sterile. For reference see mules, ligers, zorses, etc. There is no viable method to create what you mentioned, nor is there a reason to put such a law on the books or waste any amount of money on it. Since you don't know of any viable methods of producing this, it's impossible to effectively regulate against it.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
  9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Is your avatar now destined to become a human/orange/abandoned washing machine hybrid?

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Well, I could space the eyes kinda far apart. Maybe add some wings...

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

We already have a hybrid alien overlord, he goes by the name Jesus.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I always knew the Mexicans were the secret rulers of the world.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Their gardening skills are almost magical.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Perhaps this is not such a bad idea. Can anyone prove that many politicians aren't the offspring of a jackass?

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure whether the article is legit or not, but I can't say that I feel comfortable with the idea of human animal hybrids, the idea being that you could create people who had traits that are desirable from animals etc..... Its just not golf.

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Humans are animals, so there's that.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

Stirctly speaking yes.

Should we be interfering with species evolution...... No.

Its no better than eugenics.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Does it matter? State Representative Tom Kirby is publishing his intention to introduce a bill in Georgia. And when it comes to religious fundamentalists elected to office, the damage has all ready been done. These people are like time bombs, just wait and they will blow up with some stupidity or another.

19. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Or a dingo?

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

bad link for me. This one works better:

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

We already essentially do that through selective breeding of plants and animals, which is nothing new.

22. Don't panic, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it comes down to semantics, specifics and definitions.
    the bill (from what i read in the link above) is a bit vague in the matter.

if by "hybrids" they mean animals that are similar to mythological creatures such as centaurs and mermaids, basically viable crosses between humans and other animals, than obviously this is ridiculous and its not happening anyway, so the bill is pointless.
    if they mean any 'contamination' at the genomic level, than it is ignorant and irresponsible, as this would completely block any biomedical research, because there is not a single lab in the world that doesn't use tools that mix genetic materials of humans and other organisms.
    there would be no drug development or disease studies without them.

however, the bill does include some language to exclude many of these manipulations, as well as transgenic animals, xenotransplantation and the like, so it is not as stupid/extreme as it could have been.

there is still a pretty large gray area though, and some potential internal contradictions, and although the way i would interpret it would leave pretty much everything as is, other could have a radically different interpretation of the same language in a 9from my perspective) a bad way.
    additional, i think some parts of the bill may directly mess with IVF protocols/technology and I suspect that this, as long as transversely introduce some legal aspect of the 'sanctity of an embryo' argument, is the real purpose of the bill.

as far as interfering with (non-human) species evolution in general, well, that is the defining characteristic of human civilization so i certainly hope we don't stop/eliminate that ;)

23. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Caution and morality should be exercised with genetic manipulation. It's a can of worms that should be opened really slowly. The ecological impacts is reason alone to be careful with safeguards that are sometimes legal.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This sucks because I've always wanted to be a half wolf half human bounty hunter searching the galaxy for bad guys.