Lenovo X1 Extreme

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Got my X1 Extreme. In the end went for a Gen 1 with 4k display. Build quality is excellent and the keyboard is awesome. The battery can be better but with undervolting I am getting 6-7hours of battery life which is good enough for me. The fingerprint sensor can also be better. Overall very happy with it.

Reactions: maflynn

c0ppo

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2013
Lenovo has a really bad marketing department. I have a feeling that they don't even have that department.
X1E 2nd gen is out for a long time now, and still, no reviews at all. Same as last year.

Now, I'm not gonna purchase gen2, because it makes no sense. CPU is almost the same, GPU is slightly better. Not worth the upgrade.

But I'm rather curious about new displays, especially FHD that are brighter then gen1 FHD display. And I want to see if they improved the thermals. But we will likely see reviews when gen3 will be almost out :D

Reactions: Never mind

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2016
Lenovo has a really bad marketing department. I have a feeling that they don't even have that department.
X1E 2nd gen is out for a long time now, and still, no reviews at all. Same as last year.

Now, I'm not gonna purchase gen2, because it makes no sense. CPU is almost the same, GPU is slightly better. Not worth the upgrade.

But I'm rather curious about new displays, especially FHD that are brighter then gen1 FHD display. And I want to see if they improved the thermals. But we will likely see reviews when gen3 will be almost out :D
No X1 carbon 10th gen to be seen as well

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2016
Damm my thunderbold 3 ports and usb A ports have magically stopped working!

i tried reinstalling drivers but no joy!

I called lenovo about this issue and they will send me a new motherboard again....

This is not on.

I have never had a machine fail on me like this and twice!

I am thinking of selling this after it gets fixed as i am losing hope on this machine.

Besides this, the machine is actually brilliant. A powerhouse with good performance and fantastic 4k screen but i cant be dealing with these issues all the time and i have only had this laptop this march.....

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
What version of Bios is everyone on?

I fired up my Lenovo vantage app and decided to update some of the critical things, and there's a bios update for 1.24. Doing some digging 1.22 seems to break the bios supervisor password (not that I use it) but being on 1.19 I'm a few versions back.

To be honest, since my system is stable, I don't see any advantage or motivation to update.

Damm my thunderbold 3 ports and usb A ports have magically stopped working!
That sux - time to call support and see what they say. I can understand the mentality of cutting bait and moving on.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2016
What version of Bios is everyone on?

I fired up my Lenovo vantage app and decided to update some of the critical things, and there's a bios update for 1.24. Doing some digging 1.22 seems to break the bios supervisor password (not that I use it) but being on 1.19 I'm a few versions back.

To be honest, since my system is stable, I don't see any advantage or motivation to update.

That sux - time to call support and see what they say. I can understand the mentality of cutting bait and moving on.
Now it's working all of a sudden but for how long? The laptop Also crashed 3 times now.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'm running into some odd issues with X1, I think its related to the new hardware that I've gotten lately.

One of the issues, is that on a reboot, it just sits here. Pressing enter (to go into the bios) does nothing. I first noticed it when windows went to reboot over night.
IMG_5913.JPG

A second issue is an old one, where windows notices a change in hardware and prompts me to enter the bitlocker recovery key.

I made some changes to the bios, so that I get the full POST, and I added a delay of 10 seconds for the external display. The recovery key issue seems to be related to the razer keyboard, switching back to my older keyboard seems to have corrected the issue.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2016
I am getting very terrible battery life on this device.

I diddnt notice it at first as its always connected to the mains but now I am travelling away for Xmas visiting the in laws and I took the device with me. Battery lasts around 2h on medium brightness with Bluetooth on and just watching/ streaming a football game...

Even if I'm just browsing using chrome it eats away the battery life at a similar rate to when I'm gaming on it...

I installed some battery monitor that shows the wattage drain and I tried to close many background apps like Adobe, logitech, Franz messaging etc and i got the wattage drain down to about 15w.... Is that high still?