Leo Laporte Flips off Disney...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 8CoreWhore, Dec 9, 2009.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

...for wanting biometric data. During a taping of SECURITY NOW, Leo was having fun with demonstrating that if companies want your finger print, you can use your middle finger for that and send them a message. The conversation began regarding Disney's practice at the front gate.

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

4. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

after years of doing radio Leo grew used to being able to make whatever gesture he wanted while being on the air.

But seriously, **** Disney.

6. tallguy macrumors regular

What's the story behind this? Or is it just an excuse to post that image? :D

7. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Good, it's a well known fact Walt Disney was a racist.

8. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well sure, but I still don't get it. A link please? What is "Disney's practice at the front gate?" Who is Leo Laporte? :confused:

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Leo is the owner(?) of Twit. He's a big time internet radio star for nerds. I enjoy his Macbreak Weekly show, or at least I did when Merlin Mann was on it.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Disney takes your soul as collateral. Leo sports a fancy red sweater and likes to give funny smirks when he gives the figure.

At least that's what I got out of it.

12. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Disney has started requiring fingerprint scans of everyone entering the park. At least Walt Disney World has. I'm not sure about Disneyland in CA.

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2005/07/15/disney-requires-fingerprint-scan-to-enter-park/

http://allears.net/pl/fingerscan.htm

Leo Laporte is a tech journalist who runs the TWiT network, a collection of podcasts and online video shows, mostly tech related. Before that, he was at TecTV/ZDTV for years. He also hosts a radio program called The Tech Guy.

The show in question here is called Security Now!, where they focus on security, privacy, etc. They deal with how to protect your systems and networks from hackers, viruses, and other threats, and how to maintain some semblance of privacy. One topic that has popped up a few times is businesses wanting your fingerprints/biometric data for all sorts of things. This is stuff like a bank wanting fingerprints before letting you cash a check and similar issues. A listener sent in an email stating that Disney required you to give a fingerprint scan just to get in, and pointed out how he was able to get past the system by scanning a knuckle rather than a fingerprint. Leo and Steve Gibson, the co-host, recommended people to scan a knuckle or back of the finger rather than give up a fingerprint scan. I think it's a great idea.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Thank you, this is what should have been in the OP.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

This form of still insecure biometrics is considered a very weak security measure according to both CompTIA who puts out the Security+ certification, and (ISC)2 who are known for the CISSP Certification.

Technical and organization security has to be a multi-tiered, well thought out plan throughout an organization, not some knuckle-headed (sorry for the pun) measure like this article mentions.

Leo is a pretty up to date guy who not only shows PC users the great points about Macs/iPods/iPhones, but is not afraid to offer suggestions up to Apple to improve on their products. He speaks in English in a way us techies and our customers (non-techies) can equally enjoy listening to.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Which is what made his shows on TechTV great. **** you Comcast.

16. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Same here, I still listen to and enjoy the show, but there's something missing since Merlin got out.