Leopard- Is it worth the $80 I would have to pay for it to upgrade from Tiger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jlmillstein, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jlmillstein macrumors member

I currently have tiger on my macbook, and I'm considering finally upgrading to leopard. Do you think it's worth it, and why or why not?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I think it is worth it just for Time Machine and Spaces. That was just for me but if you aren't interested in those then it may not be worth it for you. Though there are many other features that you may like in leopard. Hope this helps.

3. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

It's a surprisingly tough call ... I'm still not sure that Leopard improves substantially on Tiger. I've found Spaces to be pointless and Time Machine to be just okay. I really wish that Back To My Mac would work properly, it's remains the great unfulfilled promise of Leopard. I think Apple is making a very good move stopping the features and focusing on performance with Snow Leopard ... you might want to wait another year before you make your move.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes.

:p

Spaces, coverflow, quicklook, stacks, improved Mail+Finder, and countless under-the-hood improvements.... not to mention the increasing amount of third-party software that is now Leopard-only.

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i cannot work without spaces now

4GB ram allows me to keep however many programs open i want...and spaces is sooo good for organising these programs

in finder, quicklook is priceless...you can read any document type instantly...i hate the windows explorer windows right now

stacks (especially the downloaded folder) is so convenient for finding d/l-ed files

there are some who don't use these features, instead preferring tiger 10.4.11, but i cannot go back to tiger (although it is the OS i'd give to my grandma until 10.6 comes out, as i have only 98-ish% confidence in leopard, to tiger's 100%)

6. macintosh tech macrumors member

I am curious as to what you do with your computer. Saying Spaces is pointless is useless for anyone trying to decide, without of course explaining how you use your computer.

7. jlmillstein thread starter macrumors member

I have a discount, it will cost me 80.

8. jlmillstein thread starter macrumors member

One additional question, does it usually install without causing any problems?

9. kabunaru Guest

If you want to, do it. Otherwise, wait until Snow Leopard and update then. I suggest to get Snow Leopard. :)

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have installed Leopard on seven machines (three intel and four PPC), and all worked fine. That's not to say others didn't have issues, but for me, they all upgraded just fine.

The biggest issue for me was that I lost Photoshop 7 (it won't launch), and had to upgrade to CS3. Office V.X was also a little shaky, but it worked. I have since upgraded to Office 2008, but that is another story altogether...

I think it really comes down to the benefits (latest version, new features, etc), and the negatives (lost some compatibility, takes more memory in some cases).

I think it could easily go either way. If you like the features and you aren't losing anything you can't live without compatibility wise, then I say go for it.

For me, things like Time Machine, and Remote Screen sharing through iChat were well worth it. Having to spend $199 on the Photoshop upgrade was the only "gotcha" that I ran into.