Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
My 'student developer account' does not offer a Leopard download... this is a $99,- a year account but the rules say you will not receive such OSX preloads... I do receive released or updates through DVD mailings as well as downloads on Apple's developer site.

Student Developer
* One (1) ADC Student Mailing Subscription
* Special Student Discount Offers

ADC Select
* Mac OS X and Xcode Tools on Disc
* One (1) ADC Select Mailing Subscription
* Two (2) Technical Support Incidents
* One (1) ADC Select Hardware Discount
* ADC Software Seeding Program
* ADC Compatibility Labs Access
* ADC Select Technical and Business Discounts

ADC Premiere
* Mac OS X and Xcode Tools on Disc
* Full Conference Pass to WWDC
* One (1) ADC Premier Mailing Subscription
* Eight (8) Technical Support Incidents
* Ten (10) ADC Premier Hardware Discounts
* ADC Software Seeding Program
* ADC Compatibility Labs Access
* ADC Premier Technical and Business Discounts

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
4np said:
My student developer account does not offer a Leopard download... :(

That's because you are not a Premier or Select member. To get the preview you need to spend at least $500 on membership!

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Lol, is it that hard to grasp that you have to have a premier or select membership for leopard preview?

That means no:
Free membership
Student memberships
Mailing memberships
Unregistered memberships

:p

realtime

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2005
Geez, after waiting over a month, it's the same version we received at WWDC. I'd at least expected to see another revision... :confused:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
MWSF is the debut for Leopard, we all knnow steve likes to beat deadlines.

barakthecat

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2006
Wow, at this rate of progress, Apple will never release Leopard. I mean they haven't changed ANYTHING since WWDC.

Also, I visit Apple's web site on a semi-regular basis, and I don't see an option to download the preview. Aren't I supposed to have access to it?

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
barakthecat said:
Also, I visit Apple's web site on a semi-regular basis, and I don't see an option to download the preview. Aren't I supposed to have access to it?

no... have you actually read this thread?

Mogenshu

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2006
So i'm assuming that the build at WWDC and this new build don't reveal anything that apple didn't preview at WWDC? they say they have a lot of secrets up their sleeves but have we been able to figure what any of those are yet?

Butters

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
UK
barakthecat said:
Wow, at this rate of progress, Apple will never release Leopard. I mean they haven't changed ANYTHING since WWDC.

Just because they're seeding the same build it doesn't mean anything about apples progress.
They don't have to give away the latest build to developers... infact I wouldn't be suprised if the developer preview was quite old and has a lot of new features purposely disabled or not included to keep them secret.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Why does every thread turn into a childish name-calling fest? Peeps don't know every single detail like some folks, so maybe cut them a break? Or am I asking too much?

On topic, I hope this means more bug squashing and compatibility at launch now that it's in the hands of more people... legally :)

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
barakthecat said:
hollerz said:
no... have you actually read this thread?

Good one hollerz :) If you're looking for a free beta head over to Vista's site. Apple hasn't been in the business of free OS previews lately.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Some_Big_Spoon said:
Why does every thread turn into a childish name-calling fest? Peeps don't know every single detail like some folks, so maybe cut them a break? Or am I asking too much?
I agree, knowing the name of the expensive Apple Developer services shouldn't be a requirement for posting on MR. As Vista is available free why shouldn't people think that Leopard should be too?
Some_Big_Spoon said:
On topic, I hope this means more bug squashing and compatibility at launch now that it's in the hands of more people... legally :)

This would benefit even more from a public beta ala Vista, I'm not sure what Apple would lose by doing this, as they are normally date limited. I would be curious to try Leopard out, but won't pay $500 a year to do so as I'm not a developer. If they wanted to limit access they could sell you Leopard for the retail price now, which would give you beta access (and a copy of Leopard when its finally released.) I would probably slightly over the retail price for this too...

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Eraserhead said:
If they wanted to limit access they could sell you Leopard for the retail price now, which would give you beta access (and a copy of Leopard when its finally released.) I would probably slightly over the retail price for this too...

That's actually a great idea. I would definitely pay now.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
Eraserhead said:
I agree, knowing the name of the expensive Apple Developer services shouldn't be a requirement for posting on MR. As Vista is available free why shouldn't people think that Leopard should be too?
If you're an ADC member, you should at least know what level you are. The statement says "Apple Seeds Leopard to Premier and Select Developers", therefore, if you're not a Premier or Select member, the seed isn't available to you unless you illegally download the software off bittorrent or such.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Eraserhead said:

This would benefit even more from a public beta ala Vista, I'm not sure what Apple would lose by doing this, as they are normally date limited. I would be curious to try Leopard out, but won't pay $500 a year to do so as I'm not a developer. If they wanted to limit access they could sell you Leopard for the retail price now, which would give you beta access (and a copy of Leopard when its finally released.) I would probably slightly over the retail price for this too...
The reason they don't is because they don't want to deal with people who think its a final release. Trust me, people don't read or sometimes even understand. Its simply because they don't want to. Its just something else they'd have to deal with.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
Eraserhead said:
OSX 10.0-10.1 was the beta release of OSX, I doubt Apple wants to go through that experience again. The point of doing developer preview releases is to ensure A) that Apple's changes to the underlying frameworks work on multiple varieties and configurations of their hardware; B) that developer's software/hardware work correctly with the new frameworks; and C) to allow time to get kernel panics and the like taken care of before Joe User gets ahold of the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.