Leopard seeded to ADC members?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Pay now for Leopard?

It is a great idea, except it sounds to me like Apple only wants actual software developers to work with Leopard in its current state.

I think what people don't realize is exactly how many important applications and utilities may not be compatible with 10.5 yet. From previous experience, I can tell you for sure that no matter how big you label a product as "BETA!!!" - there's a certain assumption made by most end-users that it performs to their standards. (EG. As soon as they corrupt their data trying to compress folders with a program that's not compatible yet, or the server product they really want to run under OS X won't even start - they're going to throw fits about it and demand fixes/updates.) The line of thought tends to be, "Well, this is BETA code - not ALPHA code! If they allowed me to download a copy or receive a copy on CD or DVD, that should mean it *mostly* works right!"

Frisco said:
That's actually a great idea. I would definitely pay now.

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
If you have Select

If you have select you are entitled to ONE hardware discount as well. For the Mac Pro that is $500 or more off... That makes back your $500 spent on the membership. http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

I had Select in the past, but didn't renew the last couple of years. I am intrigued again.

However, I'm one of those jerks who already has a 24" LCD monitor and wants something more expandable/powerful than a Mac mini but finds the Mac Pro too expensive for features I'd never use. So I'm still hoping and waiting for Apple to fill that hole.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
QuarterSwede said:
The reason they don't is because they don't want to deal with people who think its a final release. Trust me, people don't read or sometimes even understand. Its simply because they don't want to. Its just something else they'd have to deal with.
No kidding! And even if everyone understands it's a beta release, it could still generate bad press. Remember how many people wrote off OSX as an operating system during the public beta program? I got the public beta and I remember thinking "this could be really cool, but I doubt they'll ever get it working."

Clearly I was mistaken...

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Apple is taking their sweet time with this. I guess if you only pay $500 you're not as important as those who pay $2500. Where are the 2006 conference videos?!!!!

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
azentropy said:
If you have select you are entitled to ONE hardware discount as well. For the Mac Pro that is $500 or more off... That makes back your $500 spent on the membership. http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

I had Select in the past, but didn't renew the last couple of years. I am intrigued again.

However, I'm one of those jerks who already has a 24" LCD monitor and wants something more expandable/powerful than a Mac mini but finds the Mac Pro too expensive for features I'd never use. So I'm still hoping and waiting for Apple to fill that hole.
I am so with you. This mini just aint cutting it. But the difference between $800 and $2400 is extreme and the 24" iMac is just too massive. I understand having a simple product line, but Apple has too few options in my opinion. How about a mid level tower please?

syklee26

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
i dont understand why people are so anxious to download the beta which definitely would have some stability issue. im more than willing to wait for the final product.

with that said, i am wondering what the "super secret features" of Leopard would be...here is one thing i would really want:

simultaneous multiboot.....what i mean is that, when i turn on my computer, it logs onto Leopard but with just a click or two i can switch it to Windoze mode...that would be a compromise between virtualization and separate booting.

and how about some 3d desktop? it's not a necessity but it sure would look nicer.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
syklee26 said:
i dont understand why people are so anxious to download the beta which definitely would have some stability issue. im more than willing to wait for the final product.

with that said, i am wondering what the "super secret features" of Leopard would be...here is one thing i would really want:

simultaneous multiboot.....what i mean is that, when i turn on my computer, it logs onto Leopard but with just a click or two i can switch it to Windoze mode...that would be a compromise between virtualization and separate booting.

and how about some 3d desktop? it's not a necessity but it sure would look nicer.
Some sort of fast OS switching would be awesome, that would be the most useful feature for me.

and I agree about what was said about public beta: it will only, in the end, serve to tarish the perception of Leopard, not aid it.

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
relimw said:
OSX 10.0-10.1 was the beta release of OSX, I doubt Apple wants to go through that experience again. The point of doing developer preview releases is to ensure A) that Apple's changes to the underlying frameworks work on multiple varieties and configurations of their hardware; B) that developer's software/hardware work correctly with the new frameworks; and C) to allow time to get kernel panics and the like taken care of before Joe User gets ahold of the OS.
There were several developer releases and a $29 OSX Public Beta before 10.0 was released:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mac_OS_X

Starfall

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2005
Denver
barakthecat said:
Also, I visit Apple's web site on a semi-regular basis, and I don't see an option to download the preview. Aren't I supposed to have access to it?
Hopefully more than one person in this thread knows you were being humorous. :)

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Object-X said:
Where are the 2006 conference videos?!!!!
When WWDC was in June, the videos were usually posted in September/October. Since it was in August this year, expect them in November/December.

I'm sure Apple is hard at work on those "secret" features. :)

Mackeyser

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa, FL
Actually, i don't think so

Multimedia said:
Leopard + Clovertown Mac Pro = Super Duper Whopper Big Mac :p :D :eek: ;) :)
I don't think Cloverton will make it to the Mac Pros, at least not so soon.

Moreover, the clockspeed of the cores on the Cloverton are 2.4 GHz and as such, most apps not able to see MORE than 4 cores will actually run SLOWER on Cloverton than Woodcrest.

Where Cloverton will really SHINE is on the Xserve, especially with Xgrid enabled. If you have a Cloverton with 8 cores doing file-serving and have Xgrid installed and running, than your Mac Pro just added 8 cores worth of processing power just like that.

I think we will see speed bumped Woodcrests up to 3.33GHz, 3.0GHz and 2.66 GHz on the low end and that will see the Mac Pros through the end of 2007.

However, with Xgrid, I think Xserve becomes a render farm without ANY architecting, so for even the smallest shops, even that ONE Cloverton Xserve with Xgrid will pay immediate dividends.

But a Cloverton Mac Pro? It doesn't make sense to me.

Jmho, of course... :D

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
syklee26 said:
i dont understand why people are so anxious to download the beta which definitely would have some stability issue.
It isn't even at BETA stage yet.

Krevnik

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2003
shawnce said:
It isn't even at BETA stage yet.
Sure feels like it though. Really there are two classes of apps that don't really work all that well with Leopard: some older Universal apps where they just compiled an Intel-only build and slapped that onto the PPC build, and Safari. That is not to say that I don't have nearly a dozen bugs to file already, but on the whole, it is already fairly stable, just has a few behavior problems in the newer features.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Krevnik said:
Sure feels like it though. Really there are two classes of apps that don't really work all that well with Leopard: some older Universal apps where they just compiled an Intel-only build and slapped that onto the PPC build, and Safari. That is not to say that I don't have nearly a dozen bugs to file already, but on the whole, it is already fairly stable, just has a few behavior problems in the newer features.
It is stable but not feature complete.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
SteveG4Cube said:
There were several developer releases and a $29 OSX Public Beta before 10.0 was released:
Ok, if you don't consider 10.0-10.1 beta software....ummm, you need yer head examined :D and yes, I was a Select member during those times :eek:

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
relimw said:
Ok, if you don't consider 10.0-10.1 beta software....ummm, you need yer head examined :D and yes, I was a Select member during those times :eek:
I played with the public beta for 10 minutes and went back to OS9 until 10.2. Apple is the one who didnt consider it a beta, maybe they needed their head examined. ;)

Krevnik

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2003
shawnce said:
It is stable but not feature complete.
If you can call Safari 3.0 stable, maybe. :)

In my own work, we have moved away from the mindset that alpha = not-feature complete, beta = feature-complete. We have switched to a development style where we try to keep our particular bits polished enough during each milestone to potentially release, although we add features in every milestone. Makes for less headaches when we get close to RTM, as we have already keep the bug-count down.

Sharkus

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
At last!

Finally Apple decides to allow us mere mortals who pay for Premier ADC access, but who could not attend WWDC, to download the dev seed of 10.5.

I really don't see why Apple could not have had the seed up the day after it was given out to people at WWDC. OK, so it's not a released OS, but it would be nice to know off the bat if our software runs, or if it's going to need a few changes or a complete re-write. For some of us we've just re-coded a lot of stuff for the Intel machines, so having to re-code a lot of stuff for 10.5 will mean more dev time and if we know right from the start it gives us a little extra time.

Anyway, it's here now and it installs very quickly and looks pretty good. There has been an update to it, albeit only via software update, but I'm not sure exactly what the changes were, but I don't see anything that hasn't been mentioned before.

I seriously doubt we'll see any of the top secret things before they are announced, probably at the next major Apple show, and then after that we'll probably have a dev seed with them included.