Leopard --> Snow Leopard? Partitions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by greenerdragon, Aug 4, 2013.

1. greenerdragon, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

greenerdragon macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I have Leopard 10.5.8 on my MacBook. I do not have any install or restore discs for it.

I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard for work, since I need a newer version of Firefox. Since I have lots of software, no discs for Leopard or anything else, and very little money (so, limited backup options), I'd like to find a way to keep everything as similar as possible.

Is there a way to create a partition on my HDD and install Snow Leopard on it so that I can use that with the newer Firefox for work and still keep Leopard for everything else?

Or, if I installed Snow Leopard on top of Leopard (not a clean install), would there be a good chance of it working absolutely seamlessly and having no issues with Photoshop CS 8.0, iLife '07 (I think), or anything else?

What would be the best method? Looking for something easy, straightforward, with little risk.

Thanks!

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

If your hard drive is GUID partitioned then using the Disk Utility app will allow you to shrink your main partition allowing you to add a partition for the new install. Alternatively a reasonable sized usb stick could be used to install and migrate your settings/applications to once you confirm everything works you can clone that install back to your main internal drive, you would want a usb stick big enough to do this say a 16 or 32gb. Also been a while since I installed SL but I believe there was an archive and install option you could do for an upgrade.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

But you do have a backup, right? I would not advise doing ANY adjustment of the partitions on a volume without having a backup. Thing can go wrong, and if you accidentally deleted the existing partition, what would you do?

This website and others will tell you if your software will run on 10.6.
    http://snowleopard.wikidot.com

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Is there a way to create a partition on my HDD and install Snow Leopard on it so that I can use that with the newer Firefox for work and still keep Leopard for everything else?"

Yes, this can be done. You can have two partitions on your Macbook, with a different OS on each one. They will each run without conflicting with the other. The only problem is -- you'll have to keep track of which is which.
    (I do this on my own MacBook Pro, no problems at all.)

BUT...

It may be a "job" to get from a single-partitioned Macbook with 10.5.8 on it, to a two-partitioned drive with two OS's on it.

The reason is that, as is, the existing drive may not "take" a re-partition easily.
    You first have to be SURE that all your files on the drive are at "the head end" of the drive (physically). To do this, it may require a defragging of the drive, and you have to have an "external boot source" by which to do this.

Here is what I recommend that you do to accomplish what you are asking:
    1. Clone the internal drive to an external drive, using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.
    2. Boot from the external clone
    3. Re-initialize your internal drive, then partition it into two partitions.
    4. Re-clone (from your backup) the copy of 10.5.8 to one partition
    5. Install 10.6 onto the _other_ partition.

This WILL get you to where you want to go.

Something else -- if you don't already have a backup drive YOU NEED ONE. If all you have is an internal drive, it could fail on you, and you could lose everything.

A backup clone is easy to create, and you don't have to spend a lot of money.

I'd suggest that you buy a USB/SATA "docking station" and a "bare" hard drive. Initialize it with Disk Utility and partition it into TWO partitions. Use one for your original 10.5.8 backup, and use the other to backup the 10.6 OS when you get it installed. Do this, and you will have backups of BOTH OS's on the internal drive.