Lepord takes a lot of space on H.D.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by laughingbabe16, Dec 25, 2007.

1. laughingbabe16 macrumors member

Leopard-- sorry for the spelling mistake in the title!!

So my nephew got a new macbook for christmas today; the basic white macbook with 1 GB RAM and 80 GB H.D.

However, after installing updates, removing office 60 day trial, and installing the full version of Office, the hard drive is down to 57 GB !

What else can I remove to free up some space? I will download Onyx. Anything else? such as removing the extra languages?

Thanks everyone!:)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Remember that you don't get 80GB after formatting. I would recommend putting in the Leopard install disk an choosing Erase&Install, then when you get to options remove the useless languages etc. that you won't use :)

3. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yeah, during a fresh install, the only things I keep are the OS, X11, and a couple of languages. Everything else - the bloatware known as iLife, the printer drivers, the extra languages; everything - I ditch.

5. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Yes...iLife is bloat. I think I'll stop listening to music, editing my website and looking at my photos. I'll also have to give up making the occasional movie and DVD.

7. ZenErik macrumors 6502

You can easily do all that without iLife.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't know about that. I know I certainly couldn't do without iLife.

9. ZenErik macrumors 6502

If you like using iLife, that's wonderful. I'm simply stating that you don't need iLife to do any of the things that person mentioned.

10. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

So, i'm going to put the install disk #1 into the computer, while its restarting, holding down key c?

Then, i'll go through the whole installation again? or do i go to the top toolbar and click "disk utility" where the repair permissions are?