Lesbian wants to wear a tuxedo??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wotan31, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,567303,00.html?test=latestnews

How idiotic. It's crap like this that gives the ACLU such a bad reputation. Girl is a lesbian. Fine, whatever, who cares. But she wants to wear a tuxedo in the yearbook because "that's who she is"? Um. WTF?

Men wear a tux and women wear a dress. That's how it works. It's gender based and has nothing to do with your sexual preference. If I want to wear a t-shirt and jeans because I'm a casual kind of guy and "that's who I am", or if I want to wear a clown suit for the yearbook photo cause I'm a funny kind of guy and "that's who I am", is the ACLU going to rush a file a lawsuit on my behalf? Yeah, right. :rolleyes: These nut job ACLU people just keep upping the clueless bar.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol you would be against something like this. "They were this because thats how it is damnit!" Funny :p

3. Love macrumors 68000

Love

4. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Against what? Did you not graduate from high school or something? It's a standard. The point is, either you maintain the standard, or you just let everyone wear whatever the heck the feel like. Honestly, I'm fine with either one. But to grant a clothing exception to one student is just silly, and for ACLU to file a lawsuit over it is plain asinine.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Traditionally only men wore pants. Guess what? Things change.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I just graduated, what standard are you talking about? I sure as hell didnt have to wear anything other than what I wanted, I wouldn't stand for anything else when I'M the one paying for the damn photos. When a school pays for the photos, then they can do what they feel like.

7. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Precisely. You wore whatever you felt like - but so did all the other students. As to "what standard?" Read the article again. It said that school had a standard that men wore a tux and women wore a dress.

Answer me this: Did you also wear the graduation cap and gown for the ceremony? And was that cap and gown required for the ceremony?

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Men and women wear essentially the same cap and gown. Telling someone they can't do something based on gender, I believe, is illegal.

9. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Irrelevant. The point being that the cap and gown is required attire. I.e. it is a standard. You don't see any graduations with 300 cap and gowns and 1 person wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

As to the legality, it doesn't hold for school students. Plenty of private schools that have specific dress codes for men and for women. Also plenty of public schools that specify what you can and can't wear, by gender.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

No, the standard is formal wear. But because supposedly women wear dresses and men wear tuxes this issue never came up.

She's not wearing something different from all the other students, she's wearing a tux along with all the men. Why is that a problem?

11. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

So why did school deny her request then? You didn't read the article. Tsk, tsk.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

From the article:

"Rodriguez said she met with assistant Superintendent Ronald Holloway who told her he didn't see regulations about the issue in the student handbook."

Now who didn't read the article? :rolleyes:

13. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

When you think someone shouldn't be able to do something solely based on gender and their sexuality, that is being against "teh gays" by definition. The very fact this bothered you at all that this poor young girl wanted to do this makes me very sad.

14. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I think what may be making it difficult for you to accept the woman's side of the story is that you view her wish to wear a tuxedo as a fasion statement resulting from a choice or preference. This is implicit in your statement.

I personally feel that for most LGBT people, their sexual identity is not a choice. Asking this woman to wear clothing traditionally worn by heterosexual females might be as awkward for her as it would be for you to wear clothing of the opposite sex of whatever you are.....

Even if you want to stretch the definition of "choice" and say that technically every man in the world is making a choice by not wearing a dress every day, I would argue that the "choice" to wear clothes with the gender you identify with is nothing at all like the choice of whether to wear a t-shirt or sweater.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If there is a dress code, she should stick to it, if there is none, then she is free to wear whatever the hell she wants.... period.

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Well, the dress code is formal wear, but there's nothing that says specifically that a girl has to wear a dress.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There you go... case solved. The school can't impose something on this girl because they don't have a dress code defined for their student body.

All that is needed now is to prove that in court with a copy of the handbook... that is assuming the handbook clearly states there is no set guidelines for students regarding clothing.

18. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

From the article:

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

We have conflicting stuff here... first the school says "no you can't", later we have the Super Intendant saying "There is nothing in the handbook that says you can't"

I have a feeling this will end bad. Meaning they will get their cr@p together and end up forcing this girl to wear a dress.

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Well, apparently the Principal said it was his "conviction" that she shouldn't appear in the yearbook in a tuxedo, even though nothing in the handbook says so.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ah, now there is something. The word "conviction" is another word describing personal opinion and since in this case personal opinion =/= handbook. I say the girl has a potential win here.... that is, if she can correctly prove it.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Actually - it's all that's relevant - but thanks for demonstrating what a morally bankrupt individual you are in yet another new and astonishing way.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Oh nice, the law is now irrelevant!

I'm going to go commit various crimes against you, and you can't do a thing about it because the law is irrelevant.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because when the ACLU is involved it becomes "civil rights" somehow. It's a tux, it conforms to at least 1/2 of the required attire. This is stupid.