less targeted clicking, a suggestions for apple to change safari 4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Feb 28, 2009.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the whole purpose of this post if to noticing a problem with designof safari 4's tab on top . I want to demonstrate that current design is not good for a large fraction of users. Mice users.

the design of top on top , at first glance, quite like what google did with the chrome. however, differences do exist, and causes some problems. specifically, users are required to do many targeted clicking with mice.

1. only certain spot can be used to click and rearrange tabs
    2. changing area of the tabs (when tab numbers change) can be clicked to drag the window of the browser
    3. only one spot can be clicked to open a new tab

I think the trend of the browsers, is to ask for less and less targeted clicking, such that users don't have to always spend energy and time looking for spot to click for very common tasks. Thats why gestures, touch pad or mice gestures are very welcome functions. users are allowed to click anywhere and operate browsers, rather than goto certain toolbar buttons.

I suggest safari 4 final version can reserve a significant space in tabbar-titlebar for moving the browser window, while revert back the smaller width of the tabs, and allow the tabs function as it is, not a part time titlebar, kinda like how google did it with chrome.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I agree that the current system that apple have put in place is a bit of a bodge job and can be frustrating. They have had to remove certain functions in order to get the design as is. I feel that if they want to have both tabs at the top and also keep double click to open/close tab, drag tab from anywhere etc. then they should follow Opera (where tabs on top came from originally) by having a title bar above the tab bar.

Picture 3.png

Then of course there won't be the saved space but in all honesty I would prefer the extra functionality rather than the extra 20 pixels.