Less than year old iPhone 4 graphics chip defect

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by k.na, May 17, 2012.

1. k.na macrumors member

k.na

I got my iPhone 4 in August 2011, so it is past the warranty coverage but less than a year old.

Today while using the Kindle app, my screen suddenly displayed these vertical colored bars and turned off. It wouldn't turn on at first, and eventually did turn on showing the Apple logo with the colored bars on the side. Then it turned off. I tried turning it on again a few times unsuccessfully, before it finally turned on and seemed to be reset (asking me to restore from iTunes or Cloud, etc.).

I went to the Apple Store where they did a soft reset which got my phone to turn on normally. After a few minutes of use, the screen crapped out again (started to freeze, then the display got all screwy). They took my phone to do a diagnostic test and determined that my graphics chip/card is dying.

They said the only thing I can do is do an out-of-warranty replacement for $149. Since I understand hat's their policy and I AM out of warranty, I reluctantly agreed but I'm just pissed because it seems to me a problem like that is not normal and I shouldn't have to pay $162 (after tax) to replace a defective phone.

Thoughts?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

So it was second hand??

Devices fail none are perfect. At least you got a replacement

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

If you got it in August 2011 it should be in it's 1 year warranty still.

4. k.na thread starter macrumors member

k.na

The actual handset I got in August 2011 was from doing the complimentary 1-time replacement for a cracked screen, so I guess that only had a 90-day warranty versus the typical 1 year.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Sounds like Karma. You got a free one-time courtesy replacement for the cracked screen and now, unfortunatey, the replacement has an out of warranty issue.

So, you broke even, pretty much.

6. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

would make sense so people don't go trying to purposefully break their phone right before their 1 year warranty then get a new phone with another 1 year warranty and basically get a full 2 year warranty on a phone.

Either way, i think when it is a problem that was not caused directly by the user (ex. a graphic chip failing), i think that companies should replace them for free.

That being said, its not apple's policy, so you're kinda stuck on this one.

7. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Karma? Makes no sense...lol...it wasn't like it was wrong for him to get a one time replacement

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Agreed, I think the guy you replied to either doesn't understand karma or meant a different word and just got a little mixed up.

Karma would have to be he did something wrong that this was karma's way of having it come back to him.

I'd say it's more just sheer bad luck. Sux but it's one of those, it is what it is.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt say karma but he got the phone replaced once for free even though he should have paid the out of warranty fee for the cracked screen.
    Now the 2nd time he had to pay so its not that bad. They hooked him up for free once.

10. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

A warranty covers manufacturer defects for 1 year. if you are outside that time period, than defects of any kind are no longer covered. Your claim that it is "not usual" is not relevent. Its outside the period where the manufacturer would cover defects.

Warranties occasionally get extended if a large number of devices are affected. a 1 time problem with a single device would not get this. If they did, then the warranty woudl essentially mean nothing. you would be asking apple for an indefinite warranty, something no company does.

AlphaVictor87 said, "i think when it is a problem that was not caused directly by the user (ex. a graphic chip failing), i think that companies should replace them for free" This makes no sense. A warranty doesn't cover anything caused by the user. warranties limit the period of time in whcih a manufacturer will insure that the device is free of defects. As I said above, if its a one of occurence, then that sucks, but a free replacement would mean the warranty period didn't mean anything. how long does that go on for exactly?

11. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

My reference was more along the lines of cell phones seeing as most of them are short lived anyways (2 years)

Then again saying that kind of disproved my own point because most companies don't give warranties for 50% of the lifetime of the product.

either way, it sucks when something happens to the phone that is of no fault of the user and its out of warranty. i guess that's all i was getting at :p