Let children vote?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CorvusCamenarum, Oct 31, 2011.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

They can't drive, drink, smoke, but if clearly insane blogger Matthew Yglesias had his way, he'd let children vote.

I can see it now - polling booths set up in schools, where good little kids line up to vote for whichever candidate promised them the best free ice cream. We can even call it a civics lesson and give extra credit.

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

If anything, this would be a more extreme version of what is happening now- parent's brainwash their children with their/their religion's political agenda and when they become of age, a large percentage of those new adults vote brainwashed.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Whaaa?

But children have compassion, the American mass public seems almost void of it.

I think you mean immature.

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I say no, even though that would include me. We are two uneducated on how something would really affect us, and while that may seem to be what's happens already, just think of the insanity that would come from this.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I disagree with this. Education level should have absolutely no bearing on who can vote. People aren't more or less citizens than others based on education.

As with all cut offs imposed by society it is a difficult topic. There are certainly people well below 18 that are mature and interested enough to participate in the political process. But at the same time as pointed out above the potential for abuse through undue influence on the very young is probably higher than in other age groups. The grey area is large.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why not, when we let Adults vote after they have passed their best-before date.

Just look to the House and Senate for examples.

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Maybe with a reduced voting power, like 1:10 ? Could be interessting.

On the other side: election is too serious; we get only once asked every four years or so; this should require some thinking about consequences and deeper understanding of connections between topics. It also comes with responsibility.

Finally kids should learn to vote in kindergarten and school; with a voting period of a half or later one year. That will give them some better sense.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Combine voter registration with getting a drivers license at age 15/16 - as in you're automatically registered to vote when you get your permit. That would probably save the states some money in processing. And it would increase voter registration.

Obviously, you'd still be able to register to vote without getting a drivers permit.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'd rather see a mandatory government competency test before a vote is accepted.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Children have no invested interest into the system.

I'd rather have them out of college and paying taxes and pay all their own bills before they are able to vote. A little bit unrealistic, but I don't want children voting for gifts from the treasury. We already have enough of that.

----------

+1, yes. Of whatever country you're from. Would be nice to know they understand how their government works before they vote for something.:)

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Agreed. And the more people go to college, the less people will vote republican. The GOP would be dead in a few short years!

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That would clearly not work. Several hundred incompetents in Congress would be unable to vote. Wait, what?

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The "More you know!!", the more fruitless it becomes voting.

Those smart enough will soon learn that it's like the old shell game.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yes there is a lot of brainwashing in college, but eventually people grow up.

18. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

No, [-]they[/-]we aren't more or less citizens, but many kids don't fully understand what they are voting for, and are easily convinced of things by friends and marketing, whether it is really what we believe. Just my opinion.

19. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Same can be said about adults.

Ideally, a lot of high schoolers are taking civics and social studies courses. I don't see what it would hurt to allow them to vote.

I also don't think it would have any significant effect on election results.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

most adults are no better than children

I feel that there should be no age requirement on voting. However, to vote, you need to have some sort of aptitude of what the issues are before entering the polls

There are just too many uninformed people voting on issues that have a real impact on society

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe we should let kids vote but only count their votes as 3/5 of an adult vote.

22. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

That's not going to happen, they can't even make it a law that you have to have ID to vote.

A couple of states tried to make a law to require ID to prove you are who you say you are, and that you're not voting more than once, being bussed into a second location. It was called racist, because many minorities supposedly don't have ID.

The states were talking about making free state issued ID's and that was shot down too.

I think that was either Wisconsin or South Carolina. Maybe both.

23. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Most children either wouldn't vote or would vote irresponsibly.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This, a thousand times over.

My wife teaches fifth grade. They're lovely people, but some of their clique-y-ness and popularity stunts would make many people cringe to think of how they would conduct themselves at a serious poll.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Nonsense. Everyone who lives in the country has a vested interest in the system. There are people below 18 that work, pay tax, drive, have their own businesses, do welfare work, and have a strong opinions of how they want their country to run.

As I said, and as swiftlives pointed out this argument could be made for many adults. Again there are children who are less than 18 far more objective and in tune with the political process than many 30 year olds.

Why so? Why would an 18 year old be intrinsically more responsible with their vote than a 17 year old for instance? Blanket statements like this are easily demonstrated false.