Let me get this straight..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelmac3, Oct 18, 2012.

1. michaelmac3 macrumors member

I just paid $500 for an iPhone 5.. Have a defective home button that doesn't work 75% of the time.. AT&T says I can't return it, they don't take back defective iPhones, I have to call Apple. There are no Apple stores close to me or I would have went straight to them. Now unless I want to be without a phone for a week, I must pay $29 to have Apple send me a replacement iPhone 5. Am I the only one that thinks this doesn't make sense? Where do they get off making me pay $29 to get a phone replaced when it is only 2 weeks old? Why can't I return it at AT&T? What the hell is the point of having 30 days to return if they aren't gonna let me?

I'm thinking about canceling the replacement, going into the AT&T store and pretending everything is A-OK with the phone and it just isn't for me, getting my money back, and going back to a 4S or a Galaxy S3. Ridiculous.

This is a venting thread, but I am legitimately wondering if I am alone in thinking that's ridiculous?

2. L-Tuned macrumors regular

Just curious.. how far away is the Apple store near you?

I think AT&T is useless when you have a defective iPhone and I rather deal with Apple directly. My brother had a defective home button that doesn't work 80% of the time and all he did was schedule an appt with Genius Bar and got another one at the spot without paying a dime. :cool:

3. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

so because you got an iphone 5 with a defective home button you are going to switch to an inferior product? Nothing wrong with this logic. And because AT&T doesn't want to restock a defective phone they are in the wrong? 30 days to return is only if you don't like it, you should have tried it at the store.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T stores don't have them in stock.
    Apple does but if you can't do it in person and do it by mail you will be without a phone for some days while its in the mail.
    If you want one shipped to you in advance you will have to pay the fee. Makes perfect sense. No other manufacturer sends you a replacement item in advance before they get yours first to inspect, fix or replace.
    Or just return it and get your money back. Up to you.

5. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Return it!! Act like its ok...then just get it from apple my friend....I went today because my wifi would just not connect...they didnt even have replacements so I just returned it and im gonna try my luck tonight again. No biggie

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Doesn't Apple offer Express Replacement Service where you mail back the defective iPhone after you get the replacement iPhone?

7. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. michaelmac3 thread starter macrumors member

Closest Apple store is St. Louis which is 70+ miles from me, unfortunately.

An inferior product? I have a brand new iPhone 5 whose home button wont even work, but a perfectly functioning 4S is inferior? Everything wrong with this logic. And for the record, I did try it at the store. It didn't start messing up until a week or so after purchasing.

False.. every phone I've owned besides iPhones I have been able to call AT&T's customer service and have a free replacement sent to my door. Packaged up my old dysfunctional phone in the same box and sent it back off. Apple is doing this but charging $29.

I wish I could do this, but unfortunately there are no Apple stores close to me. I'd have to drive almost 2 hours and that is not gonna happen. I thought about returning it to the store and going to a different store, but the stock is so limited there is a slim chance of that working.

Yes, this is the process I started earlier this evening. I just can't wrap my mind about having to pay for a replacement phone 2 weeks after I got it, when it's clearly a manufacturer defect, as confirmed by the numerous "my iPhone 5 home button isn't working correctly" threads all over forums.

10. ldominguez1986 macrumors member

Tmobile also will see you a replacement device before they get yours back.

11. UseYourIllusion macrumors newbie

AT&T does not do exchanges for Apple products because that is how Apple wants it. It's part of the agreement for carrying the iPhone. You can blame AT&T for a lot of things but not for this.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you have insurance through them?
    Not sure but usually manufacturers need to receive the defective item first in order to replace it. You either wait a week or so or pay the $29 fee.
    It's not the end of the world.

13. L-Tuned macrumors regular

How about swing by over the weekend and see what's fun to do in the area? I had to go to this place which is about 50 miles away to replace my sunglasses but there was a car show in the area at the same time so I feel better taking the trip. :eek:

14. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

15. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

If it didn't start messing up til a week after you used it then you know that only looks bad on your end, i wouldn't take it back from you either. did you try calibrating the home button or restoring?

16. dukedvl macrumors member

Sprint will also send you out a replacement phone before sending the defective one back. They sent me a return kit that arrived 2 days after my replacement iPhone was delivered. I have 35 days to return the defective phone and I didn't have to pay any additional costs upfront. Obviously if I keep the phone they will have to charge me for it.

17. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

AT&T have now changed their return policy from 30 days to 14 days. This is recent if one did not know. ;) Apple store is still 30 days

http://lazytechguys.com/news/business/att-changes-return-policy-to-14-days-on-october-7th/

18. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

70 miles is not all that far.
    I would definitely make the drive to the Apple store. It should only take you about 1-1/2 each way. Some people commute farther than that to work every day.

19. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

If $29 are a big issue, then the gas and time for driving are even bigger.

Apple's manufacturing quality is getting worse and worse.

OP, just call again, ask for compensation, and let them work their magic and waive the $29. Use a credit card, and ask for the manager.

20. gentlefury macrumors 68030

70 miles??? I drive that far every day for work! Go to the Apple Store, I had the same problem, they exchanged it on the spot.

21. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

$500 phone, cant afford the gas to drive a few miles for a replacement? Priorities a bit wonky there?

22. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Bingo. Suck it up and drive to the Apple store.

23. qawsed27 macrumors member

AT&T must take it back or replace your phone. It is their responsibility to provide you with what you paid for. They can try to get out of it, but in the end the Uniform Commercial Code of the US says you must receive a working product or your money back. Be firmer with AT&T and don't let them pass you off to Apple.

24. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Not how it works for Verizon, so it's not completely an Apple thing.

25. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

they do offer him the ability to take it back. The UCC doesnt require them to offer a replacement on an item as a warranty item. that falls upon the manufacturer and their agreement with AT&T. The consumer upon leaving the store without checking the item, assumes that the product works and is in good order.

Now, most businesses do not operate that way, especially big box electronic stores, but they are not required to be a middle man between the manufacturer and the consumer in regards to warranty.