Let's all put our iPhones away for a week

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by audix, Jul 30, 2012.

1. audix macrumors regular

Could you do it? I think most people see actually scared to, but me, I have bags under my eyes from using my iPhone every waking moment. Especially during the wee hours of the morning. My head hurts. I don't know whether to go to sleep or stay awake.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I treat my iphone moreorless as every other phone I have had

I use it when I need to

Thus, I would not want to give it up as I do need it

3. audix thread starter macrumors regular

But why do we need it? I mean without my iPhone I wouldn't know what time to go to work or how to navigate my city. But my job forces me to use these technologies like iPhone. Everyone must have an email and we must do everything online.

We must all have drop boxes. How did I get myself into this?

4. lazard macrumors 68000

It wouldn't hurt as much if you had a bigger screen.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I could do without my iPhone for a week,
    but
    the iPad would get a lot more use.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Not true. My head hurts even from looking at my computer monitor at times.

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Everyone was capable of reading the alarm clock and remembering how to get to work every day long before the iPhone

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I was prepping my dumbphone today to get ready to sell my 4S before the announcement. I had the same thought. I don't even own an alarm clock anymore. I am kind of curious to see how it feels to not have the internet and a million apps in my pocket at all times. The backup phone I have can make calls and send sms. that's it. So it will be an interesting couple of weeks. Not like I don't have a computer and an iPad.... but when I'm at work or out and about I won't have the iPhone to distract me. I might actually learn/experience something new!

9. audix thread starter macrumors regular

I want to go outside!

My schedule changes too much and it changes at a moments notice, so trying to do it manually would not be very judicious. But I would still try it.

There's a sort a freedom that you get from not tapping on these small screens everyday. I'm really addicted. I spend more than just a couple of hours on the phone. I'm on it now in fact.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I could, but what's the point? Just to prove to yourself that you can survive without technology? I could prove that anytime the power goes out for more then a day.

12. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

i'm not addicted! I can quit anytime that i want!

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what all addicts say:)

14. audix, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

audix thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'll start off slow. Just keep it in my bookbag on off and check it ... Once on the afternoon and that's all. Yeah, yeah that sounds good.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Last time I heard this was when Fluffy (Gabriel Iglesias) said he was quitting on tacos and donuts.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

LOL, yeah no kidding. I grew up in San Diego and i knew nearly every highway and street by heart and just followed signs if i didnt. I dont think the youngins could get around without a GPS today. And i still use an alarm clock. My phone goes off when im out for the night.

17. audix thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think I'm using the phon in the correct manner. It's supposed to make my life more streamline, but I waste so much time on it.

18. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Sure. I'm doing it. Haven't used the iPhone in a few days. Just used it today to clean and fly through the pages but that's it.

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Put it away for a week?

No problem.

I've got my new SGS III on my other line. :)

20. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

If I put my iPhone 4S away for a week... I would use my work phone... which is also an iPhone 4S... This one, I cannot put away because my job requires I have it.

Also, I have had an iPhone since the launch of the original. And since day 1, I knew I could never go back to a regular phone or a "dumb" phone.

21. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Well I mean I need it as a phone, haha. I just use it for texting and calling.. and the occasional Facebook / game. Just limit your use and you'll feel way more at ease! :)

22. skidbubble macrumors 6502

I think it would be awesome if there was one day a year where it was "no cell phone day". Could you imagine, no rude people in public talking loudly into their phone, going to a movie theater and watching a movie with no phones interrupting & ruining it, people would actually have their eyes on the road when driving, people would actually interact face to face with each other.

It would be the best day ever.

23. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No, it'd be like it used to be...

Instead of talking loudly on a phone, people would be talking loudly to one another... in and out of the theater.

Instead of holding a phone while driving, they'd be doing their make-up or shaving.

I'm a firm believer that we've become far too connected to our cell phones at that technology in general, while bringing the world closer together, has actually severely hindered our social abilities, but I'm not about to say that things were all find and dandy before the cell phone either.

People are always rude and distracted and, without a phone in hand, they'd find another method.

Also, I'm just going to leave this here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1376026

24. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I just did for two weeks. I started JStaffing at Lutherhaven, and went a week without my iMac, iPhone, MR, FB, et al. It was great. Being back is great too!

25. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home