Let's assume Apple Glasses are real. AR ideas?

Would you use AR glasses with the features in the OP?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Reminders, to-do-lists (like grocery shopping lists), deadlines and other visualisations could be a great addition for Apple Glasses. Exciting times lie ahead :)

Reactions: Kristyn

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
The vision accessibility features would be interesting. Increase contrast, increase magnification of signs in the distance if it detects you are staring at them, etc.
I'm not too sure about actually magnifying content when a display is in your face like Apple Glasses would be. My best guess is they'd be best for notifications and visual hints and cues.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Now we have LIDAR in the newest iPad Pros. Is it just me or does it seem like they wanted to release that AR-centric piece of hardware before WWDC 2020 so devs can play around with the new possibilities probably enabled by iOS 14?

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
I'd like to see any video overlay. Like the floating video features with youtube and videos on android/samsung. It would be cool to be watching a youtube video while walking to the metro, etc.
I'll start:

- non-obstrusive notifications (think like Mac banners flying in on the side)
- always-on Shazam (like Now Playing notification banners)
- subtitles for persons speaking (bonus: highlight them with colors and color the subtitles accordingly)
- navigation purposes, like Apple Maps extension
- ViewTime; like FaceTime but the called person see's what you're seeing (ie for support purposes)
- and of course games like Pokémon Go

What are your ideas? :)
One must-have feature is 'Active Vision cancellation,' quite like the Noise cancellation feature it could allow to Zone Out or In according to the situation.

Just a tap, and the screen becomes prominent, one more tap and it goes translucent.

• Love
Reactions: Vanilla35

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
One must-have feature is 'Active Vision cancellation,' quite like the Noise cancellation feature it could allow to Zone Out or In according to the situation.

Just a tap, and the screen becomes prominent, one more tap and it goes translucent.
While this truly does sound great in theory, I think it would be a problem like smartphone zombies are today (well, at least when we're allowed to go outside again). Active Vision cancellation could be potentially dangerous and should not be possible to activate when walking or driving.

Reactions: jpadhiyar

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
While this truly does sound great in theory, I think it would be a problem like smartphone zombies are today (well, at least when we're allowed to go outside again). Active Vision cancellation could be potentially dangerous and should not be possible to activate when walking or driving.
Well, that could be a built-in option, in case of moments the vision automatically shifts to transparency or just limited to notifications.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Well, that could be a built-in option, in case of moments the vision automatically shifts to transparency or just limited to notifications.
Or maybe toggle between Dark Mode (sunglasses) and Normal Mode - when such a thing goes digital, everything's possible!

Reactions: jpadhiyar

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I think your perspective on this point is outdated. While I agree with you about the hazards and definitely do realize that smartphone zombies is a thing; that doesn't mean it's not the future. Video overlay, maps overlay, notification overlay, all these things are definitely the future. It's just a matter of how it gets implemented.
- - Post merged: - -

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-ipad-pro-lidar/ - WIRED reporter Brian Barrett thinks the new LIDAR is a dry run for Apple Glasses.
Definitely makes sense with the glasses supposedly right around the corner in a year or two!

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I think your perspective on this point is outdated. While I agree with you about the hazards and definitely do realize that smartphone zombies is a thing, that doesn't mean it's not the future. Video overlay, maps overlay, notification overlay, all these things are definitely the future. It's just a matter of how it gets implemented.
You might be right that my perspective is outdated, but the argument is that so are our vision sensors (eyes, really). We are not great at focussing at two things at once, and Apple Glasses has this wonderfully dangerous chance to overload our senses with things right in front of our goggles. That‘s what I‘m sensitive of - and that said I‘m excited of what our future will bring :)

Reactions: Vanilla35

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
You might be right that my perspective is outdated, but the argument is that so are our vision sensors (eyes, really). We are not great at focussing at two things at once, and Apple Glasses has this wonderfully dangerous chance to overload our senses with things right in front of our goggles. That‘s what I‘m sensitive of - and that said I‘m excited of what our future will bring :)
I won't really count you as Outdated and neither a pessimist to the technology. You have a fair point! There is no doubt that technology is amazing and dangerous at the same time.

Things like smartphone addiction are quite real and it is hampering our attention span, health, relationships, and whatnot on a daily basis. So, while my Idea does have merit, it indeed carries certain risks.

I hope we can come to a place, where these ideas are realized in a manner that is safe, sound and of course innovative. "Fingers crossed"