Lets be real here.. What does a longer phone do for web browsing in landscape mode??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krashx7, Sep 7, 2012.

1. krashx7 macrumors regular

Absolutely nothing.. Not to mention texting(most people I know text with both hands in landscape mode). So now text on websites will be stretched even narrower to the point where I have to zoom in on everything? The only benefit to a longer iphone is more screen space in portrait mode... whoopedy doo..

Windows phone 8 here I come.

2. 617aircav Suspended

And thats a plus.

3. wc17 macrumors member

Lol, I don't know a single person who texts regularly in landscape mode! You should buy an Samsung phone! They're giant, like mini iPads! :eek:

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I use my phone in portrait 90% of the time.......video is the only reason my phone gos in landscape. which btw the bigger screen WILL be beneficial. I also think all your reasoning is overblown.

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I use mine portrait 95% of the time. 5% goes to playing games that require landscape mode. For watching YouTube videos I don't even bother to turn it to landscape.

To OP: Ok bye. Go join your WP forum buddies.

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Doesn't do anything for much outside of games and video but it lets apple put down 4 inch screen on the spec sheet. At least the kids will have fun with it.

8. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

have fun with your plastic device!

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

LOL I'd wager 95% of iPhone users wrap their phone in some sort of plastic, TPU, silicone.

10. Omacc macrumors member

bruh the phone is not out yet.

11. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

its tiring hearing people continuously complain about the screen! The GSIII has the same exact aspect ratio as the iPhone 5. I have the GSIII right now and it is way to big to use as a normal phone so i will be buying the iPhone 5 and just use the GSIII for games or web browsing. A 4" screen is good enough for me. Its so annoying that for years everyone was complaining about the screen size on the iPhone and now that apple has made the screen bigger they are complaining about it. I remember before the 4S came out everyone was hoping it would have a 4" screen and was disappointed when it didn't.

Apple could have put a screen like on the note and people would still find something to complain about.

if you don't like it then dont buy it! I wont loose any sleep over it if you dont buy it. Just know i have a GSIII and im not satisfied with it and will be going back to an iPhone this month.

12. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I figure Apple wanted to increase the screen space of the iPhone both in portrait (by being taller) and in landscape (fullscreen mode for safari).

Regardless, I'm cool with progress towards a bigger screen.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

What you do and don't prefer isn't the same as "being real". People can "be real" about having different preferences. Don't care for the longer iPhone? Don't buy it. What does yet another thread griping about the longer iPhone for for meaningful discussion here? Nothing.

No matter who says this and no matter how many people they know, "most people I know" means nothing. If you want to "be real" then consider what a tiny fraction of a percent "most people I know" represents of the overall user base.

14. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Why would it be stretched narrower? The rumored screen is no more narrow than the old screen, just longer. You should see more at once than on the current screen, even in landscape mode.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

For some reason when I hold my iPhone 4S in landscape it gets very warm. So I just use it in portrait. An easy solution.

16. james92se macrumors 6502a

So basically all your acquaintances are 12 year old girls?

Let me guess, you're also one of those people who films video in portrait mode? :)

17. Bigdawg4 macrumors regular

I don't know a single person that doesn't text in landscape...using your two thumbs is almost twice as fast.

18. born2runak macrumors regular

I think its funny that everyone gets so defensive when someone says they dont like something apple.

I agree with OP. I am not liking the new screen at all. I use my phone in landscape for whatever i can. I like the extra screen width. texting is far easier, and much less mistakes are made.

I have been on the fence about the S3 for awhile.I will reserve my decision for Apples announcement. Chances are I will buy the new iPhone. Does that mean I think its the greatest thing in the world? NO WAY.

A friend of mine who has been an avid iphone user since the 3 G just got the S3. I do think Apple is going to begin losing , and attracting less customers. Regardless of everyones opinion here, it does seem that the trend for mobile phones are for larger screens (and I believe rightly so) and unfortunately the rumored iphone screen doesnt cut it.

19. aztooh macrumors 6502a

+1 to what Bigdawg said.

The screen is far too cramped to use two hands to text in portrait and doing it single-thumbed is painstakingly slow. If you're typing a text of more than a couple of words...or, gasp, an email...landscape is really the only way to go.

Unless you are actually a 12 yr old girl, or have the same sized hands as one, and can type comfortably with 2 hands in portrait. I'll just assume that this applies to James, since that's where his mind went.

20. Irish Rose, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Yeah, the Galaxy Note is a tablet itself....

----------

I don't type in landscape mode very much. I find that I am just as fast typing on my iPhone in portrait mode.

21. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Interesting. Never knew people like to text in landscape mode. I always texted in portrait when i had the iPhone. Holding one of these touch screen slabs in landscape mode for more than 10 minutes actually makes my hands too tired. I even avoid gaming a lot and instead prefer to read something because games are played in landscape most of the time. Same thing happens on my GS3.

22. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

I can tell :p

23. rushluvr macrumors member

Not to mention 1136x640 is an insanely stupid resolution that no other device I am aware of uses. Every other high end phone is either at 1280x720 or moving towards it. The fact that the 2012/2013 iphone, made by a company that pushes how high end their visuals are, wont have an HD display is actually embarrassing, Apple should be ashamed.

24. james92se macrumors 6502a

Who said anything about typing with two hands in portrait? I don't type with two hands period.

Obviously I was being semi-facetious with my earlier comment but in all honestly I can count on one hand the times I've seen an adult guy typing two handed. Most of my girl friends and female family members do use the iPhone two handed but always in portrait. And in all seriousness I don't know if I've EVER seen an adult male OR female texting in landscape mode.

Just picturing that conjures up images of those old T Mobile sidekicks you'd see back in the mid 2000's with everybody constantly sliding the screen up and flipping the phone sideways to text.

Anyway, I type away with one hand all day long and I would put my speed on par with anybody out there. I actually find it slower to type two handed because I find myself trying to mentally separate the keyboard for each thumb. Doing it all one handed is much more intuitive/natural for me (and I had always assumed for most other adults as well). Even big burly guys seem to naturally hold the phone in one hand and stab at it with the other rather than flip it sideways and use it two handed.