Let's be real....When to start lining up???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hart1583, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Hart1583 macrumors regular

Hart1583

I live in Peoria IL (pop 250k)

When do you think the time is to line up? Not be FIRST in line, but in good shape (say top 15)

Im thinking 1am.

Big cities way earlier probably.

I will be driving by the store (it's 3 minutes by my house) every half hour-hour starting at 9pm.

What's your plans/thoughts?

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

If you are going to drive by the store every half hour, why not go ahead and start camping then?

3. SellYourMacBook macrumors member

drive by every half hour to hour lol you might as well just stick around there

4. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I live in Bloomington, IL and having been to Peoria many times, I have to say that I don't think you will have a problem even if you line up at 6AM or so. I am assuming an 8AM opening time.

For what it is worth, I preordered mine to be shipped to me. I will be a work when it arrives so I will just pick it up from the FedEx office.

5. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I agree

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I think I was at about 5:30 for the 4 launch. Was in the first 50 until I spotted the reserved iPhone quee and then I was 7th. Good enough for me. As reserved phones wasn't an option this time around, I've gone for a delivery.
    Good luck.

8. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I have a phone so I'm in no rush to spend 800+ dollars. I'm going to wait until the chaos stops and I can just walk into the store and buy one.

9. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

10. kmanmx macrumors 6502

I'll never understand why someone would sit in a queue for 3 hours when they could spend 30 seconds buying it from Apple.com

The natural assumption would be for those people that could not access the store.. but more often than not they could, which leads me to the conclusion that some people get a certain level of satisfaction out of queuing.

11. pragmatous macrumors 65816

People have weird paranoias. "hackers will get my credit card online" when they don't realize hackers can get your credit card number off the telephone or at the store as well.

----------

2-3 week wait it doesn't matter.

12. petethepanda macrumors member

I waited in line for 8 1/2 hours at the Oakbrook IL for my 4, but I felt kind of silly when it wound up they ultimately had enough not just for the whole massive line, but for a ton of people straight-up walking in later in the day.

13. carlili4190 macrumors regular

Lined up for the Iphone 4 at 2:30 AM and was about 60-70th in line. This was at the Oak Brook, IL Apple Store.

14. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

For my apple store in Staten Island, the last couple launches i got there at 3 and i was 10th in line. I'm fine with tenth, the thing is i think there is more of a demand this year. Last year the regular people didn't start lining up till 10 and you literally could of just woke up and been in and out in 20 min. so this year not sure probably still 3.

15. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

Midwest represent!! I'm in Springfield, IL and I ordered from Apple the other night. I'll have the phone delivered to my work on Friday. Just wanted to say hey to you Illinois folks. :D

16. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I got to my store (Millenia Mall, Orlando) a little before 5 am for the iPhone 4; they weren't letting anyone into the lot before 5. Once they did, it was a freaking stampede from the parking lots to the line and I ended up about 50th in line or so. They split us off into reserved & walk-ins and my position didn't improve a whole lot. Didn't get out of there until after noon. It was an interesting experience but one I'm glad I don't have to repeat. :)

Have you checked to see if there are any restrictions as to when you'll be permitted to line up? Hopefully someone who's lined up there before will chime in.

17. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

You take stalking to a whole new level:p

18. mfr1340 macrumors regular

Pre-Ordered at Best Buy

I paid full price for my 4s on my BD last year at 9pm when my son (who works at BB) called me and said someone didn't pick up their phone that was on hold until 8:45pm.
    This year I went to BB at 8:30am on friday and no one was there. I got out of my car at 9:00am and started the line. About 15 people showed up for the opening, and signed up for the (9/21) pick-up.

19. corey407woc macrumors member

lol i live in windermere too, i actually preordered at the best buy in millenia and was in and out in 10 min while my friend waited at the apple store at millenia for 8 and half hours

20. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

You would be 53rd in line if you were there right now.

21. MacWorld78 macrumors member

If you are on 1st row - do you get any free grift from Apple? :D

22. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

The gift of owning a new iPhone on the first day? Oh and maybe a bottle of Smart Water.

23. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Wasn't first in line but we got juice in 2010. Everyone else around us got snacks, too, but for some reason they kept skipping our segment of the line so we did without. No other "gifts."

24. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Remember the T-Shirts they would give you during OS X updates...Oh I miss those days as well.

25. blacksunset macrumors member

overnight sleepover from 8.30pm! get 'er done...