Let's burn books!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cave Man, Jul 22, 2009.

1. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I noticed where you are from - we have Neanderthals in the U.S. too. ;)

Seriously, certain segments of our society feel that if you completely shelter kids from all the evils of the world you will end up with pure-minded adults. While I agree having certain materials age-restricted, BURNING books is the work of small, insecure minds.

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I think that people need to stop sheltering their children so much. If you never teach your kids about these type of things, when they encounter them later in life, they won't now how to react and could make bad decisions. The best thing is just to talk with them maturely about it and teach them how to make the right decision on their own.

I think the man that proposed burning the book because his "mental and emotional well-being was damaged by [the] book at the library" should have been intelligent enough to put the book down when he realized it wasn't his style or it conflicted with his beliefs. Just because he doesn't like the book does not mean that he can take away the rights of the author or anyone else who might want to read the book.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Book burnings? Watch, soon we'll be having witch hunts soon.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I posted about this a while ago. I can't believe it's gone this far. People are truly stupid sometimes. All they have succeeded in doing is making their kids want to read the books even more.

Reminds me so much of the Clinton years. The wingnuts come out in full force when a Dem is President.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Something tells me that anything other than Teh Gheys Will Burn in Hell is considered "gay-affirming" by this ridiculous woman.

How about we do them a deal? They can burn the books, and we can burn their church down :)

7. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Ah yes, another example of "I'm too lazy to be a real parent, so let's ban it!".

Don't want your kids playing violent video games? Ban 'em!

Don't want your kids seeing dirty movies (violence is ok)? Ban 'em!

Don't want your kids reading certain books? Ban 'em!

Who needs to be a parent when all this stuff can just be banned and your precious little snowflakes never get exposed to them?

Oh yeah, and I am 100% certain these are the same types of people who freak out and gripe about "government interference" in the lives in the form of abortion, health care, etc.

8. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I'm pretty sure this would just make things worse. There has got to be a better way of stopping people from imposing their beliefs on everyone else.

I can understand that people don't like gays, a lot of people are just afraid of anything different from themselves. But that doesn't mean you can go parading around saying that gays are evil and we have to protect our children from them and all that BS.

If you don't agree with it, then leave it alone. If you trust your kids and you are a good parent, they will make the right decisions for themselves in the end.

I also don't understand why people think they are going to stop people from being gay. I'm gay and I have no more ability to change my hair color with my mind than I do to stop myself from liking guys. I am also not evil and I don't wish to hurt children by being gay. That's not how it works.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Unfortunately, too many right wing xians have a sense of entitlement. They believe that because a few of the founding fathers were xians, that that must mean ALL americans should be. It's so sad that they can't understand that what they want is more akin to the Taliban in Afghanistan rather than the truly free country the Founding Fathers envisioned.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You'd think they could abstain themselves from reading the books they don't agree with and leave it at that. :eek:

11. Queso macrumors G4

Of course it wouldn't help, and I wouldn't actually advocate the burning of either books or buildings. However, putting it that way might shock a few of them into realising what they're doing.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Maybe we could just call them what they are: pseudo-Christian fanatics and neo-Nazis.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I think of books as almost sacred so it's always pretty saddening to see people who want to destroy them because they disagree with their premise. It reminds me of when people wanted to burn the Harry Potter books...

14. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Aside from an off-the-cuff comment about book burning, which is ridiculous, I really don't see the problem here. The proposal is to move "raunchy" books into the adult section. Where's the problem? We already classify movies, video games, and music based on age. And in these cases, people under the given age are not (supposed to be) able to rent/buy them at all. All this proposal would do is move books from the youth section to the adult section - young people could still check them out freely. So I fail to see the problem - it's not censorship, unless you also think the MPAA is a censorship board.

That said, I have no read any of the titles in question, and if such action were to be taken, it should be an independent group deciding which books are "rated" adult.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

From what I've read, these books are written for younger people.

16. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Libraries generally classify books based on reading level, and not on content. The later Harry Potter books, for example, are at the same reading level as the first ones, but they are very different in content (and in fact, my local library does classify 1-3 as "Children's" and 4-7 as "Young Adult", but that's unusual). So it may well be that the books are easy to read but have adult content.

But without having read them, I cannot really comment on that. Only that - in principle - I see nothing wrong with this proposal. How it relates to these specific titles I do not know and cannot comment on.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Apparently, a lot of parents also think it's wrong to remove the books form the young adult section. Why should they have to be moved to placate certain parents who don't like the subject matter? Why can't kids read about gay people?

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

'Cause...you know...it might make them gay. :rolleyes:

19. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

From what I understand from the article, the problem isn't really that the books have explicitly adult content which should be moved to another section, but rather that they discuss topics that the parents don't like:

Wanting the library to get books that affirm heterosexuality while removing books that are, in their words, "gay affirming" is not about appropriateness of content, but about personal views.

20. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Now, I don't know what definition they're going by, and they might have a very conservative view of what "sexually explicit" means, but I hardly see a specific targeting of books about homosexuality. You cite 'personal views', but I don't see the couple asking to ban books about homosexuality, but rather to also include books about heterosexuality. I fail to see the problem with that, really, unless those books preach hate, which is something we cannot know from here.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No - they want books that condemn homosexuality. They used pretty words to dress it up, but by wishing to include junk science books about "ex-gays", they are actually asking for books that condemn homosexuality, not "promote" heterosexuality. This is in the article.

22. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Right.

Wanting books affirming heterosexuality included with the books affirming homosexuality is not the same as wanting books written by ex-gays that reaffirm heterosexuality over homosexuality.

EDIT:

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6663173.html, emphasis mine.

They wanted a gay-themed reading list link removed from the library website.

That's not wanting to include heterosexual titles, that's quite obviously wanting material removed due to personal convictions about homosexuality.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And all it is, is information. Why are people so afraid of that?

24. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

:D