Lets compile a list of the little nuances that make MBP/OSX better than Win7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bobby Corwen, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I got in debate earlier about the classic Mac vs PC topic and I did pretty good (battery, trackpad, unibody, OSX) but I realized there are so many more tiny details that I always forget about when I am trying to rattle off a bunch of facts. It would be nice to gather them all together.

So lets make a list about the little things you've noticed and thought, oh yeah, thats so handy that this is built in to the system....

Ill start..

1) I like that I can hold shift + command + 4 to take a scaled screen shot out of the box. On win I would have to install snagit or some such program.

2) I like that I can just hit a designated key and have the computer read my selected text. On win I would have to install a text to speech program.

What other little details like that...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Who cares? I buy Macs because they meet my needs. They may not meet everyone's needs, and I have no motivation to try to convince anyone to buy what they don't want. It's pointless to try. I use the computer I want. I don't care what others may choose. Besides, there are hundreds of existing threads on Mac vs PC. Why not look at a few dozen of those?

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

One of my gripes about Windows, though it still does happen on a Mac, just not as often....APPLICATIONS THAT GRAB FOCUS! Thankfully most of the time on the Mac, the app just bounces for my attention, a much better approach.

THERE IS NO REASON why any app should grab focus from what I am doing!

4. Takashi macrumors regular

Give me a freaking break. Are you trying to waste people's time? Nobody (except you) gives a rats ass about mac vs. PC topics.

Well said.

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

bobby corwin just wants to make waves. Leave him alone.

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You know you can just press the print screen button on a Windows PC and then paste to a word document or paint and it creates a screenshot right?

If you didn't, that's one less thing to worry about.

7. tmerritt530 macrumors member

Snipping tool in windows 7.

Text to speech lol.

I want to know what drives the OP to mind what other people want to use?
    Much less try to correct their "facts"

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Although I use both & greatly prefer Mac, I respect anyone whose honest & true to what they prefer.

Choices are to be celebrated... :)

9. Takashi macrumors regular

I think Bobby Corwen just wanted an ego boost and wants someone to help him.

Sorry, no ego boost for CorWINDOWS !

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm with GGJ, who cares.

Windows has its features that are better then OSX and OSX has features that are superior to windows.

I use the tool that best fits my needs. For some of those tasks, its windows 7 and most others, its OSX

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have gotten so used to this myself so I don't have to remember which modifier key does what (is it Alt PrintScreen I want here?).

I end up having to Google the Mac shortcuts every time.

I use both, like many things about each platform, but prefer Macs.

B

12. thekb macrumors 6502a

O geez, yes. I can not STAND when the focus gets changed after I've typed something but immediately before I hit 'enter'. Sometimes, the thing that pops up i do NOT want to hit enter for. That is so aggravating.

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Really??? The kid just wanted to have a fun conversation. What the hell is wrong with that?

You people jump on him like he committed some mortal sin.

To the OP. I like how I can drag files to icons in the dock and the app opens automatically.

And there's nothing in Win7 like mission control.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Um... wrong and wrong? I liked OS X for Expose and FCP. Since FCX and Lion, I have no reason to choose anything Apple over an alternative brand.

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

except for itunes when ripping cds. it will grab every time drives me nuts.

----------

voiceover is a bit one. jaws for windows costs about 1200 and 200.00 every two years. but it has its share of bugs and cases mail and itunes to crash.

what I wish osx had is to enable the eject button on my external dvd drive.