Lets compile a list of the little nuances that make MBP/OSX better than Win7

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I got in debate earlier about the classic Mac vs PC topic and I did pretty good (battery, trackpad, unibody, OSX) but I realized there are so many more tiny details that I always forget about when I am trying to rattle off a bunch of facts. It would be nice to gather them all together.

So lets make a list about the little things you've noticed and thought, oh yeah, thats so handy that this is built in to the system....

Ill start..

1) I like that I can hold shift + command + 4 to take a scaled screen shot out of the box. On win I would have to install snagit or some such program.

2) I like that I can just hit a designated key and have the computer read my selected text. On win I would have to install a text to speech program.

What other little details like that...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Who cares? I buy Macs because they meet my needs. They may not meet everyone's needs, and I have no motivation to try to convince anyone to buy what they don't want. It's pointless to try. I use the computer I want. I don't care what others may choose. Besides, there are hundreds of existing threads on Mac vs PC. Why not look at a few dozen of those?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
One of my gripes about Windows, though it still does happen on a Mac, just not as often....APPLICATIONS THAT GRAB FOCUS! Thankfully most of the time on the Mac, the app just bounces for my attention, a much better approach.

THERE IS NO REASON why any app should grab focus from what I am doing!

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I got in debate earlier about the classic Mac vs PC topic and I did pretty good (battery, trackpad, unibody, OSX) but I realized there are so many more tiny details that I always forget about when I am trying to rattle off a bunch of facts. It would be nice to gather them all together.

So lets make a list about the little things you've noticed and thought, oh yeah, thats so handy that this is built in to the system....

Ill start..

1) I like that I can hold shift + command + 4 to take a scaled screen shot out of the box. On win I would have to install snagit or some such program.

2) I like that I can just hit a designated key and have the computer read my selected text. On win I would have to install a text to speech program.

Give me a freaking break. Are you trying to waste people's time? Nobody (except you) gives a rats ass about mac vs. PC topics.

Who cares? I buy Macs because they meet my needs. They may not meet everyone's needs, and I have no motivation to try to convince anyone to buy what they don't want. It's pointless to try. I use the computer I want. I don't care what others may choose. Besides, there are hundreds of existing threads on Mac vs PC. Why not look at a few dozen of those?
Well said.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
You know you can just press the print screen button on a Windows PC and then paste to a word document or paint and it creates a screenshot right?

If you didn't, that's one less thing to worry about.

tmerritt530

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Kansas
Snipping tool in windows 7.

Text to speech lol.

I want to know what drives the OP to mind what other people want to use?
Much less try to correct their "facts"

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Although I use both & greatly prefer Mac, I respect anyone whose honest & true to what they prefer.

Choices are to be celebrated... :)

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Although I use both & greatly prefer Mac, I respect anyone whose honest & true to what they prefer.

Choices are to be celebrated... :)
I think Bobby Corwen just wanted an ego boost and wants someone to help him.

Sorry, no ego boost for CorWINDOWS !

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'm with GGJ, who cares.

Windows has its features that are better then OSX and OSX has features that are superior to windows.

I use the tool that best fits my needs. For some of those tasks, its windows 7 and most others, its OSX

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Snipping tool in windows 7.
I have gotten so used to this myself so I don't have to remember which modifier key does what (is it Alt PrintScreen I want here?).

I end up having to Google the Mac shortcuts every time.

I use both, like many things about each platform, but prefer Macs.

B

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
One of my gripes about Windows, though it still does happen on a Mac, just not as often....APPLICATIONS THAT GRAB FOCUS! Thankfully most of the time on the Mac, the app just bounces for my attention, a much better approach.

O geez, yes. I can not STAND when the focus gets changed after I've typed something but immediately before I hit 'enter'. Sometimes, the thing that pops up i do NOT want to hit enter for. That is so aggravating.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Give me a freaking break. Are you trying to waste people's time? Nobody (except you) gives a rats ass about mac vs. PC topics.

Well said.
Really??? The kid just wanted to have a fun conversation. What the hell is wrong with that?

You people jump on him like he committed some mortal sin.

To the OP. I like how I can drag files to icons in the dock and the app opens automatically.

And there's nothing in Win7 like mission control.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

Um... wrong and wrong? I liked OS X for Expose and FCP. Since FCX and Lion, I have no reason to choose anything Apple over an alternative brand.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009

except for itunes when ripping cds. it will grab every time drives me nuts.

----------

voiceover is a bit one. jaws for windows costs about 1200 and 200.00 every two years. but it has its share of bugs and cases mail and itunes to crash.

what I wish osx had is to enable the eject button on my external dvd drive.