Let's confirm: no one is interested in 5C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by srsub3, Sep 20, 2013.

1. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

As long as orders go on, it is evident that people are not interested in 5c.... 5s gold option completely out of stock in less than 20 minutes! even 64 gb option by at&t is going out... what do you think?

2. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

Seems like most of us aren't iOS virgins, and if you are up to date with a 5 the 5c doesn't have much to offer.

3. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

4. JeremyE macrumors regular

Nobody up right now will be honestly. Everyone up right now had to just for the 5S.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

5C is for the juicebox set and their moms. In fact, let's just rename it Hi-C.

6. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

That makes the green one Ecto Cooler. Yummy!

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I know 8 or 9 people who have ordered a 5C...

8. wxman2003 Suspended

9. Voxone macrumors member

Voxone

My girlfriend asked if I would be getting the 5C. I laughed. No, don't think so. I have a 5 now, why would I get a plastic version of the same thing. She was giving me grief for always getting the latest tech toys. I didn't mention that while I would NOT be getting the 5C, I WOULD be getting the 5S. I think she likes the pretty colors. I think they look cheap.

10. MikhailT macrumors 601

First of all, the supply of iPhone 5S is extremely low, selling out in minutes means nothing. All over the world, Apple stores were telling folks that the supply was low.

iPhone 5C is not going to have any supply issues because they've already been making most of the parts for a year with the original iPhone 5, just optimized further with a new material and casing.

Apple is going to sell 2-3 iPhone 5C to every iPhone 5S. I met several folks who just love the colors and rather pay 100$ less. They don't need the full power of iPhone 5S.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yep. Nobody except for the muggles who dont' frequent Apple discussion forums. In other words, the other 99 percent of the market.

Do people at Lexus forums be all "I'm getting a silver Lexus, and nobody wants one of those stupid candy-colored Toyotas! Ha!"

12. MacFriedRice macrumors member

5C=Cheap & Ugly Colors

No thanks. If you are using a contract upgrade offer why bother with this model.

5c=$199 for 32gb
    5s=$299 for 32gb

Only a $100 bucks difference.

13. MikhailT macrumors 601

Have you even look at them or feel them? Everybody I know who saw it said it's very pretty and doesn't feel cheap at all. Even the well known techies said the same thing on twitter.

14. kalt, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013

kalt macrumors regular

I don't think many in the US care about the 5C. I just ordered the 5S and I'm thrilled that I got the 64g silver/white one that I was dyin' for. 1-3 days shipping. Keeeew.

15. christof macrumors 6502

I think the majority of folks on MacRumors Forums are self-preceived "techies". In that sense, we'd probably gravitate toward the 5s instead of the 5c.

A more interesting observation made during ATP [Accidental Tech Podcast] is that Apple's promoting the 5c more heavily than the 5s; they argued that this is more strategic for the masses, just as they market MacBook Air more than MacBook Pro.

I think we'll be surprised to guess [via Asymco] that the mix of 5c was probably higher than that of 5s. The 5s is the Pro line, while the 5c is the Consumer/mainstream line.

16. MacFriedRice macrumors member

Plastic is plastic. If you want to go that route to save $100 go for it. To me, it's cheap plastic with old tech compared to the S for a $100 more. And yes, people will go for the C to save that $100.

----------

Apple makes more $$$ selling the plastic phone.

17. petsounds macrumors 65816

It's polycarbonate on a steel frame, not a cheap plastic throwaway phone. Actually, I would've chosen one of the plastic colors on the 5s if that was an option.

18. yegon macrumors 68020

Absolutely the wrong place to be asking this question.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I had to drag my mom kicking and screaming to get her to upgrade from a 3GS to a 5 earlier this year. Her battery life was crap and Best Buy had them for $50, but she was all nervous about getting a new phone. "Don't you have to buy new cables? Haven't people been complaining about problems with them in the news?"

What's hilarious is she ended up getting the cables basically for free after I traded in the 3GS for an insane $180. It was a 32GB model, but damn. I'm not getting that much for my 4S. I just wish I had known about Best Buy's trade-ins at the time so I could've gotten another $50 and actually profited on her upgrading.

Anyway, people like her don't care about aluminum v. plastic. To her it would be white, gray, gold and all the other colors. She's never, ever going to use anything that's going to take advantage of the 64-bit chip in the life of this phone.

The 5C will sell like crazy. But most of us on here will get a 5S because that's how we roll.

20. christof macrumors 6502

Despite the new plastic manufacturing process and increased variance of models (colors and capacities), Apple's best-case-scenario is the same or greater profit margins on 5c compared to iPhone 5 (2012). I'm betting on greater profit margins on 5c!

21. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    That pretty much sums it up, I think. The 5c will sell to kids and women who don't understand or care about specs, whereas a bunch of geeks and men who "need" the very best will buy the 5s.

Same thing happened when the iPod Mini came along, even down to the ugly colors. Many people thought it was crazy and nobody would be interested. Sold better than the Classic ever did, which clearly had the better specs and value (to a technologically inclined person). Some people value things like colors more than tech geeks do, and value specs less.

22. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Both silver and gray 16 and 32GB 5s versions are still showing 1-3 days shipping. Perhaps not as much US demand for the 5s as folks were thinking... I could have slept in a few more hours :)

There has always been that one color/size/carrier that is in low supply, where there are plenty of the others.

23. MacFriedRice macrumors member

Yes, the 5C will sell because of the lower entry point.

Might be better to hook grandma/ma up with the higher spec phone($100) since they will tend to sit on them longer.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Well I plan on using my parents' upgrades to get new phones like I did before. I might have to wait a while to do this since they both got an iPhone 5 in 2013, but basically one year hand a phone to one, then next year to the other. That was a fun trick when the upgrades were huge, like adding 3G and the Retina display. Would've been nice to get LTE last year had I not been on Verizon.

25. petsounds macrumors 65816

I got an iPod mini as a gift one year. With its smaller size it was very portable and with its anodized frame it was built like a tank. You could toss it around (literally) and not worry, which is something I'd never do with the old Classic beasts.

Value is not about specs, but the experience of the product; the experience dictates the specs. With companies like Samsung, the specs dictate the experience.