Lets do some math!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Watabou, Sep 23, 2011.

?

What did you get as your first answer?

1. I do believe in God, and I got 10 cents

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. I don't believe in God and I got 10 cents

9 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. I do believe in God and I got 5 cents

19 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I don't believe in God and I got 5 cents

34 vote(s)
    44.7%
  5. Too lazy to do math.

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. Watabou, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

So suppose you buy a bat and a ball for a total of $1.10. The bat is $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

First, solve the problem and then read the rest of this post.

What did you get as the answer?

Well according to an interesting study by Harvard researchers,

http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/0...ds-to-predict-religious-conviction/29646.html

So if you answered 10 cents, you are an intuitive thinker and you are more likely to believe in God. But if you answered 5 cents(which is the correct answer), you are a reflective thinker and you are more likely to question God's existence.

I'm an atheist but I said 10 cents at first too but then thought wait that's not right. After a minute or so, I got 5 cents as the answer.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm bad at math. What does that mean? I would not have guessed either. How is it 5 cents?

3. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

5 cents, no god, no apple worshiping either
    0.05 ball + 1.05 bat = 1.10

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I got it, although I'm not convinced that it offers a deep insight into my psychological make up or spiritual beliefs or anything.

We know the bat is $1 more, so we need to half the remainder. Therefore, the ball costs 5¢ and the bat $1.05.

I don't do math at all though, I do on occasion do maths however. :D

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I simply don't understand math. I don't get it.

Never would have figured that out, and I don't believe in God. I guess that's why I'm better in the arts and such. Math eludes me.

6. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well the point is that the bat is $1 MORE than the ball, but the bat doesn't equal $1.

So if you set up an equation,

x = ball
    y = bat

x + y = 1.10
    y = x + 1

So the price of the ball is 1.10 - x - x = 1

which is 2x = 0.1
    So x = 0.05
    :)

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh god, no- you're reminding me of algebra and horrible things like that which gave me nightmares as a teen. :D

8. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

If you had that much of a problem with algebra, you must really be bad at math. :D

9. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

hahaha okay. Well don't worry about it too much. I was confused at first too.

Although I agree with Jaffa Cake that I don't think this relates to my spirual beliefs or anything like that. I think people just read the question like: the bat price = $1. And so naturally, they answer 10 cents.

But I think the study is interesting nonetheless

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

They always say in an exam you get extra marks for showing your working out, so well done Watabou. ;)

Yep – they say maths is all about numbers, but then they go sticking letters in all over the place. Clearly, maths is not to be trusted.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! It was just not my best subject. I was fine in first year algebra, then geometry came along. I got my first D in my life. It was awful. My parents thought I was doing drugs or something, because I was normally a very good student. I never did learn geometry. I even got a tutor for it, and it still didn't work. I'm just not wired that way. Now computers? Those I can completely make sense of, but not math. Makes no sense.

12. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't think it's a math problem, so much as it's a 'do you go with your gut feeling' problem.

Personally, I saw this on yahoo! and I wouldn't have got it right if I didn't think I was being tested on a trick question.

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm exactly the same. However, my brother Cheese Cake is the exact opposite from me. Whereas my best subjects were the arty ones it was maths and science that he did really well at – I'm now a designer whereas his days are spent number crunching and doing economicky stuff.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That was back in the time when "sameness" was revered, and "being different" was abhorrent.

I believe you are of the perfect age to know of this. ;)

15. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

This is a trick question and has nothing to do with the idea of having a faith or not. If you go to a store and ask for the price of a ball and they tell you $0.05, and then ask for the price of the bat and they say it's one dollar more than the ball, 99.99999 percent of the people will assume the price of the lot is $1.05 and if confronted with $1.10, they will call it a fraud. It's because we tend to think of different items as independent in pricing and not as an equation.

16. 184550 Guest

Exactly the same for me. I've had to get a tutor for every math-based test/ class in my life.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This is basic math. How could they gleen religion from it ?

18. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I consider myself pretty good at maths, and enjoy it to such a degree that I come home and study it, not because I have to for school, but because I want to. (I'm studying stuff in Calculus 2, when I'm only just starting Calculus 1)

And yet, I still didn't get it.

I answered 10 cents for the ball.

But then again, I only looked at it for a total of 5 seconds to read it.

And I'm mixed about my beliefs. I'm not religious in the slightest, but I find religious-history interesting. And I don't think I believe in God...*Still not completely sure*

19. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

Its simple math. Thats the point. People who are intuitive thinkers, the ones that are supposed to believe in God more often, just assume its .10 since its intuitive to do so. They don't require proof to give that as their answer. The other thinkers will actually try to figure it out and prove it. They will tend to not believe in God for this study.

So really, the simpleness of the math problem is why it may be able to be used to determine what type of thinker you are.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The answer can be either .10 for the ball with bat being 1.00 or .05 for the ball and the bat being 1.05

If the bat is 1.05 it is still 1.00 more than the ball at .05 so .10 and .05 are both correct.

21. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well they claim that if you are an intuitive thinker, you will just believe that what you said is the right answer. But a reflective thinker will question his first answer and think again to give an answer that might be counter intuitive.

The basic math question was just to test whether the person was intuitive or reflective in their thinking styles.

I do understand where they come from but they fail to at least provide the percentages of the people who were reflective/intuitive and their belief in God.

Also, math is interesting. If you don't agree, you can **** off. :D
    Seriously, though, I find math beautiful. At first though, I thought it was all boring until I learned Calculus and by the time I finished multivariable calculus, I just loved it.

22. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The bat is $1.10 if you say the ball is $.10. The bat can't be $1.00 because of the rules outlined in the question. There is only one correct answer.

23. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

No, there's only one answer to this "basic" math problem. It's .05 for the ball.

If the bat was 1.00, the ball would be free and you would pay $1.00 for both.

I have no idea how this is even up for discussion. Do you believe in religion, Peace? ;)

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm on drugs . That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :p

25. imahawki macrumors 6502a

This kind of thing is just bogus. There are stupid christian right wingers who never question anything and there are stupid liberal atheists who can't even keep their own life together. Belief in God MAY be inversely correlated to intelligence, but it is not HIGHLY correlated. I know a lot of very intelligent, questioning people who have faith but not blind faith. They think there is a higher power (or perhaps want to believe there is) but they don't just blindly believe and are not into "organized religion". They treat faith as a personal thing, not something you wear on your sleeve and they definitely don't proselytize.