Let's face it...."double down on security" worked (kind of)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hart1583, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Hart1583 macrumors regular

Hart1583

The day before the announcement.
    We know what the 5C looks like. We don't know the camera, ect

The 5S is pretty much got the double down status. We know it's coming in a different color. We know it has some kind of ring around the home button. That's pretty much all we know 100%

I would say, compared to the last few years, this years leaks are WAY less. You guys agree?

2. Demonface macrumors 6502a

I guess your right. For all we know the new iPhone's can be completely different. From all of the rumors which we heard about.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Is the A7 even confirmed? I thought it was mostly speculation.

Beyond the chassis colors, the internal spec improvements remain unconfirmed.

4. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

It was in a prototype 5S leaked early this year

5. pmau macrumors 65816

Doesn't matter what prototype was leaked.
    Apple has to use parts they are able to mass produce.
    I'm sure there are 6" screen iPhone prototypes with advanced SoC/GPU combos, but that doesn't mean that those parts are used for mass production.

Face it, Apple has to be able to ship millions in the very first weeks. I'm certain they already have prototypes with different screen technology and so forth.

But these might never ship at all.

I believe that the specs will be pretty conservative but Apple might have surprises with regards to iTunes, AppleTV and Bluetooth LE in combinaion with game controllers and sharing of iTunes purchases with friends....

6. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Let's be honest, we know nothing till tomorrow.

Tim could have leaked all these rumours with absolutely nothing to do with what is going to be released tomorrow.

THAT would be "doubling down".

7. bozzykid macrumors 68020

You mean other than the 8MP camera that has been leaked for months?

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'd say the fact that Apple has decided to assemble the Mac Pro in the USA might have something to do with less leaks on the upcoming iPhone. Message to management of the Chinese production lines = go ahead and leak some more after we said to shut the leaks down; we can move some more production to USA if you don't understand what we said.

Apple would not likely move all iPhone production out of China for a lot of reasons, not least the size of the smartphone market vs size of market for the Mac Pro and related profit margin issues. But the possibility is on the table now, isn't it. That might be enough to get a few of those pesky leak-windows closed in the current assembly lines.

In any case, leaking some spec info to the media seems like part of the design-to-market project plan. Some of it's free market buzz and who's against that? If it went too far (which Cook might rightfully think has happened in the the last couple times Apple rollouts were pending) then I'm not surprised if Apple and hence its suppliers have tightened things up some this time around.

Tim Cook doesn't seem like a guy who would be misunderstood or vague in suggesting that leaks be deterred if that's what he wanted. I think he'd make it pretty clear that Apple has other options if someone in the supply chain could not meet all the requirements for the job, including suppressing spec leaks.

9. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I'm surprised with how little we truly know about the 5S. It's nice that Apple has regained some of that mystery.

10. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Honestly what we know about the 5S is as follows.

New color - gold
    Possible additional new color - gray

A7 chip - honestly even if isnt much they can just change the number anyway

New improved camera with slo mo - no confirmation on MP

Fingerprint sensor - no confirmation of home button shape. But will probably include a silver ring around the button. Unknown if it has more use then just as outline for the button

No confirmation of sizes - possible 128GB option with the 16gb being dropped.

Same screen. Same ram.

It's alot but it's also a very general lot. Not a bunch of specifics.

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

We have an idea on almost every aspect of the 5S. We have had multiple leaks pointing to the same features and specifications in some cases.

12. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Good luck with that. No way Apple could manufacture the iPhone in the US. Not only would the cost be higher but there's no way they could keep up with demand. The Mac Pro is one of Apple's lowest selling devices (and highest margin) so there is little risk and great PR. I hardly think any of the overseas manufacturers are worried about Apple switching production to the US more than they are worried they would move to another company in their own country.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

^^ Yeah, did you read through the 2nd paragraph of my post...

14. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Sure but your first paragraph says Apple is threatening them to move to the US. That is extremely doubtful.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

We must not be reading the same first paragraph. Mine is salted with the word "might"...

But never mind. Every year before the rollout of the iPhone I always hope against hope that the leaks are all wrong and the actual thing that rolls out is so far off what was leaked that it's clear the leakers got taken for a ride. Sigh, but as noted in my THIRD graf, the buzz and hype (which are after all free ads) depend on leaks, don't they. So every year my fondest hope is dashed and I just have to hope I like the product enough to upgrade (if it's a year in which my contract is up).

16. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I agree. Every year the day before the announcement we pretty much knew everything. This time it's mostly speculation except for very few details. Actually this is first time in a long time I'm excited about tomorrow's announcement.