Carrier Let's figure this out... Want Verizon 7 but don't have account... How can I pre-order through Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

So how can someone pre-order the Verizon iPhone 7 online (through Apple) if they do not have a Verizon service?

Is there a way to make a Verizon account, without a credit check, and use that to pre-order through Apple... but right after cancelling the account with Verizon so there's no fees?

I'd rather not have to stand in line or wait 2-8 weeks for the SIM free version to come out so any ideas you can give are appreciated.

Oh and I don't want the T-mobile or ATT versions since they lack CDMA capabilities to be used on Verizon or Sprint.

Thanks for your responses :)

2. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Guess it's not possible? :(

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait for the SIM-free (however long that takes) :oops:

Who knows, as hard as Apple is making it to simply buy their product on launch day, maybe it's a sign I should just stick with my 6s...

3. crrp6501 macrumors newbie

It looks like you have some kind of account (TV, Internet, or Phone) with them in order to register. If you did have one of those services, you'd login and order the full priced one of course.

I definitely hate waiting as much as you do. Good luck! :)

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

SIM-free was only early October last year. Not Launch day, but not awful.

5. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Pretty ridiculous that Apple won't just sell you the product. Is your cash not green?

Big mistake by Apple IMO putting their customers at the mercy of the carriers. Maybe this was the price they had to pay for concessions in other areas (eg. no crapware).

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Just the business, takes Samsung 5-6 months to offer Sim Free model, Apple is usually the quickest.

7. Jigga macrumors 6502

Are you sure about that?
    I have a FIOS account and I'm pretty sure it's a different login system.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I suspect it has to do with the royalties they have to pay for every cdma enabled device. The fewer of these devices they sell then better for their bottom line. I think the vast majority of people won't care either way.

9. krizko macrumors regular

I think it is absolutely ridiculous to not allow one to sign up for new cellular service and preorder an iPhone 7/7 Plus. Why would Apple and the carriers turn away new customers like this?

10. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Be glad it's only a 2-3 week wait.

Carriers always have first dibs most of the time.

11. PLin macrumors 6502

I don't think it's possible to pre-order a Verizon model unless you're a Verizon customer. I plan on pre-ordering a T-Mobile model just to make sure I'll have one on launch day, but I plan on trying my luck at the local Apple Store to get a Verizon one. I think they still give you 14 days to return iPhones as long as they're not damaged, so I should be ok as long as I can find one within 1-2 weeks. If I still can't get one even after 14 days, I guess I'll just settle with the T-Mobile model.

12. myvoip07 macrumors member

I hope Apple allow to order Verizon model without VZ a/c but i doubt. The only option is to buy from a Apple store as device only or wait for the sim free version. I really don't like waiting but i see no other choice :(

13. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I know it sounds kinda strange, but aside from wanting to use it on sprint or verizon services, what real point is there? In terms of international coverage it would be pretty much the same. As for resale value? I've never seen enough of difference in resale for an unlocked GSM/LTE phone vs a CDMA/GSM/LTE phone, since pretty much the rest of the world doesn't use CDMA, and when they do, you have to have a white listed device for the network usually.

It's more to resell the unlocked one if you want to wait. But even if you went with the other ones you'd lose out maybe 30-40$. Mind you, someone will buy the phone. Enough people are on ATT, Tmobile, sprint or verizon that you'll still fetch a good price regardless.

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I really don't see why people just can't wait for the sim-free version.

The wait is minimal and you get what you want.

Before the annoucement, everyone (figure of speech) was going on about the how this was an incremental update and all...and post-annoucement, now it's the next best thing to sliced bread.

15. PLin macrumors 6502

The Verizon version also supports TD-SCDMA, which is used in China. I go to China every 1-2 years, so that would come in handy. I also have some relatives in China, and I was never able to give them my old iPhones, because up until the Verizon iPhone 7, the US models usually lacked the 4G Chinese frequencies.

I also can't wait for the SIM-Free version, because I locked in the trade-in value for my iPhone 6s Plus a few weeks ago and need to send it in shortly after launch day.

16. hellopupy macrumors regular

hellopupy

Going to buy a t-mobile version on the apple store if they don't require account information then driving over to the verizon store to order a verizon version (I just went over there earlier today to set up a prepaid plan so I can count as a verizon customer but cancelling it before the 14 days is up).

Whichever shows up first I'm using that one and then deciding which one to return.