Let's have a theoretical &philosophical conversation about the end of human existance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NickZac, Jan 20, 2011.

1. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'll start this. Forget 2012 although the world could end by then, but that would have no relation to any 'prophecy' or natural super-event. I think that only 1 thing will ever destroy us as human beings, and that is us. We are a hazard to ourselves and at a certain point in which people become so divided, chaos will break out and sooner or later, we will have effectively destroyed most cultures and possibly even our own existence.

Continue:p

2. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

That or we evolve enough over time that we are no longer classified as homosapien and become homosuperior (or other such self congratulatory back slapping nonsense)

I doubt "we" will be the cause of our extinction as we're not smart enough to do a thorough enough job.

3. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

I don't think it would be as much directly killing each other as it would be something we do causes a lack of safe elements we need to survive. Possibilities would include making all freshwater undrinkable, toxins in crops, causing all crops to die, etc. Radiation from a dirty bomb could also theoretically kill us both directly (radiation poisoning) and indirectly (killing off or poisoning all means of us to survive such as crops, farm animals, water, etc), provided it uses certain elements and is large enough.

4. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Considering humans are effectively divided into about 200+ of the modern day equivalent of a tribe, a nation, I honestly don't buy the whole 'we will destroy ourselves'. If only because we have proven in the past that we can overcome differences and avoid war.

And if one wants to be extremely accurate, the cold war was actually relatively peaceful compared to the 1700's, 1800's and before. Human's have only become more peaceful, more productive and more long living over the course of human history up till now. It's true that our destructive capability has increased and that a war these days probably accounts for the damage of a few wars before modern-technology but I still maintain that humanity is thus far only getting better.

If you ask me it will be a cosmic event that kills us off unless we've immigrated outside the solar system by then.

5. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

You mean Fast Food?

6. Queso macrumors G4

I thought that's what Obama and the Democrats were aiming for :confused: ;)

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Let me just say I'm glad you clarified theoretical. I was about to call the SuperFriends on you.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There was once a cartoon drawing back in my country in 2002. I know it's been shown here in the states but I don't recall when and where.

It showed a two caption carton strip. The first caption took place in 1998 and pictured two guys and a car. One of them a passenger in the car and the other re-fueling the car at the gas station. The guy in the passenger side said something along the lines "You know, the next war will be fought over oil." to which the guy refueling responded "yeah right!"

The next caption took place in 2009. It had the same two guys (slightly older) and this time both out of the car. Instead now, the owner was washing the car instead of refueling it. The ex-passenger said "You know, the next war will be fought over water", to which the reply was "Yeah right..."

Funny thing is, the cartoonist is very much onto something there. It is very possible the next war will be fought over control of water. Now people may say, well this planet is 2/3 water, why are we going to go in an argument over that? Well, not all that water is drinkable or in fact usable, just a tiny percentage of it.

I have a feeling that war will be fought here in the Americas. This continent is the one that holds the greatest water reserves in the world.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not really the same thing: we humans tend to use fresh, purified, filtered, potable water for cleaning our cars, washing our streets and cooling our industrial processes. This is nothing but wasteful.

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Read Revelations and you will have my theory.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

With respect, that is not "your" theory.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Maybe you are bored, I dunno, but I am sure the majority of the forum understands that I meant this is the theory I agree with for the end of time.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

There is nothing on this planet that could wipe out all of humanity ... not even humans.

Truth is ... we are here for the long haul. Even if Floods occurred such as in Biblical myths ... Humans will still be roaming Earth.

14. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Short of a cataclysmic mass extinction event or a fast moving plague that wipes everyone out, I don't think that the human race will ever die off.

What I think would happen before anything like that though is the end of human existence as we know it , like some type of civilization collapse in more developed countries due to either natural resource depletion, pollution, or a massive economic failure, resulting in a standard of living equivalent to what many 3rd world countries see.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

But it is not a theory at all. It is a vision, a "revelation", unrelated to any sensible projection or extrapolation of existing trends or to anything we know of past history. Frankly, it is nothing but a fantasy plucked out of someone's nether orifice a long time ago to which, for reasons of your own, as with the dating of the beginning of the universe and its method, you subscribe.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And hence why we are going to be in such dire need of the little purified and fresh water to drink that we are going to go to war because we have used whatever we had in idiocies.

I wash my car with tap water, but I don't rinse the water with the hose. No, I have a bucket that I fill and use only that coupled with a fiber cloth to clean my car. Highly effective and water efficient.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

What of desalination? Think how great it could be to have desalination plants powered by wind or solar power.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Desalination is a great idea. Unfortunately, the vast majority of water desalinized in the world is done via fossil fuel driven plants, like the ones in Dubai.

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Wave power might be a good option to look into. The technology seems to be there, it just needs to be implemented.

20. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

First thought to enter my mind: "ZOMPOCALYPSE!" :eek:

21. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Don't be brains. There's brains way that would ever brains. Anybrains else hungry?

22. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

If the Zombies invade, I hope you have a suppressed .22. Remember guys, only head shots stop the Zombies :p

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Attack of the Undead!
    [​IMG]
    Army of followers included
    no extra charge

But if you really want to read about the end of humanity, the best description is in Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut

24. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

This actually made me laugh out loud.

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I only wash my car about three times a year.

I'm not doing my bit to save mankind, I just can't be arsed to do it more often. :cool: