Let's hope for thunderbolt!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ek9max, Sep 5, 2012.

1. ek9max macrumors regular

I'm really hoping for thunderbolt compatible dock on the new iphone.

But my mac's are thunderbolt compatible..... Beat this slow USB 2.0 crap.

And USB 3.0 would be a slap to the face as none of my macs have that. lol

2. Siggen macrumors 6502

Its not impossible, however unlikely. Hope it has USB and TB support, so that if you pay for the stupid expensive tb cable you will get full speed of the NAND has. And hope the NAND get a speed bump, the fasest USB disk I ever had was a Nokia N900 tablet/phone. It had 16gigs internal and Microsd slot, so When I used the internal I got HDD like USB speed so :p

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I hope you're joking, but I don't think you are.

The iPhone 5 cannot have TB [period]

4. M87 macrumors 65816

I hope it gets USB 3.0 because I have it and you don't.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't get the article about why the iPhone can't have Thunderbolt. OK, it can't have a Thunderbolt port. That's what the new dock connector is for. But why can't that connector go to a Thunderbolt port on other computers? I expect the new iPhone to go the USB 3 route because that will make backward compatibility much easier. But I don't get why Thunderbolt would be impossible in the way I describe it.

6. Siggen macrumors 6502

Only A Sith Deals In Absolutes....

Seriously, it is possible although expensive for them to put in thunderbolt support, access to writing the NAND in the top speed the NAND supports. They wouldn't yet be able to support the highests speeds possible to TB with such a small form factor.

I'm still saying it highest likely wont come, but its not impossible.

7. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

It's not that it's impossible, more that It's unlikely. TB would require a bunch of internal components that would increase the size of the phone, make it hotter and more expensive. TB cables are active (there are chips in each end) which would increase the cost of the cable by a huge factor.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Too expensive, and besides, who shrill uses corded sync so much that this would matter. I can't remember the last time I actually plugged my iPad into my iMac.

9. g4cube macrumors 6502a

In simple terms, it is in Apple's best interests to have the iPhone be able to connect to any computer. This means USB, which now means USB 2 or USB 3. The advantage of USB 3, of course, is that with this interface, connection is still possible with older USB 2 equipped commputers.

If the new phone had a Thunderbolt interface, yes, it could be "faster", but in order to connect to the computers that exist in the market, the phone would also need to have a USB interface as well.

Outside of interface speed, there really is no advantage that Thunderbolt would bring to an iPhone.

Factor is power requirements for an active Thunderbolt cable, or Thunderbolt display capability, and you'll quickly realize how impractical this would be.

Unless of course, there is some secret Thunderbolt capability that hasn't been released or discovered yet.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I plug both an iPhone 4S and an iPad 3 into my iMac for sync and backup; I don't bother with any other form of sync.