"Let's hurl some acid at those female Democratic senators" -- PR for Rep. Hayworth

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, May 31, 2012.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF is wrong with people like this? The right wing has gone *******. This is what we got with the Teapublicans.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Additionally, I find it absolutely appalling that not one conservative will ever come into a thread like this and condemn such remarks. When are you guys going to fight to rid your party of people like this?

The silence is deafening.

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Here, let me be the GOP apologist. Maybe this person was talking about stearic acid, a base for many cosmetics. Yeah, that's it! See, the GOP is interested in women and wants to give away free cosmetics! Soooo generous!

5. shinobi-81, May 31, 2012

shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

I thought such sentiments existed only in Central-Asia and the Middle East. Reactionary, anti-democratic forces show their true nature in American politics these times, but I'm really disappointed because I had never anticipated something like this, not even from a Republican. Am I naive or what? :confused:
    I hope somebody will come over to his (JT's) house and wash it with gasoline. Free of charge, of course.

6. shinobi-81, May 31, 2012
  7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He needs better coaching. Even figurative references to violence aren't typically received well (not that they should be). Beyond that dividing it along gender lines doesn't typically end well.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The American Taliban would be a more apt name.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Seriously- I'm beginning to become very alarmed at all this. That was a threat from someone in a political camp. Why is this tolerated? You can bet that some damn fool is gonna go do this, or at least try.

10. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Ok, I'll bite. I'm opposed to throwing acid in people's faces.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, though. This is a ridiculous person saying a ridiculous thing.

Edit: Also, reading the original quote in context, it sounds a little strange. Are you sure "hurl some acid" isn't metaphorical? Like "spitting bile" or the like?

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

But unless said person is publicly ridiculed, some level of acceptance is implied.

12. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Well, I just did my part.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Of course it was metaphorical-- it just crossed the line. Like Sarah Palin's "target" ads.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

To me the phrase brings up attacks on women in India and Pakistan: men will drive up on motorbikes and literally throw acid on women that have refused their advances or otherwise 'dishonored' them.

So, it's metaphorical, but it's also incredibly grotesque one to use when talking about people who serve in office alongside you.

More than anything, it illustrates how completely unhinged our politics have become. We speak in terms of violence and combat.

15. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Politics has always used words of war. Target, campaign, etc. Palin was certainly not the first to cover a map in crosshairs or bullseyes or similar.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I actually googled it to see if it was something from a prior era considering it's a seriously old dude.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sure, but the language of logistical warfare: campaign, maneuver, etc. has been replaced by a more violent and repugnant sort of language.

Let's put it this way, how long before someone decides that saying something like "we'll gang rape their daughters to death" is a perfectly acceptable political metaphor rather than something that gives everyone a moment of pause.

The problem isn't the language, but the thought process that it represents and I think we're going down the wrong road when what happened to Fakhra Younus becomes a useful political metaphor.

18. vega07 macrumors 65816

And add the fact that everything nowadays is a "war on XXXXX." So ridiculous.

What is the next word going to be?

Our political system is rapidly going down the drain. I worry for America's future.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Holy cow, what a total moron Townsend must be. Wow. Just wow. :eek:

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Vile thing to say. What sort of woman would say that.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Whether her comments were literal or figurative, that is unacceptable. The issue is some lunatic will agree with her and probably carry out what they believe was an "order."

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A very ugly one, and not just superficially either.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

To think it, much less say it, even if it is symbolic, this is the kind of imagery some portions of the GOP relish in their war against women.

Keep in mind, these kinds of statements are gifts to the sane opposition.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Just to be clear, the comments were made by Jay Ashworth (man), the paid campaign PR person for Nan Hayworth (woman).

I'm hoping to read that Ashworth has been fired, but, there is always the possibility that he is doing exactly what Hayworth wants -- stir up "controversy".

25. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Jay Townsend, is just the tip of the iceberg, I honestly wonder are there any sane people in the GOP?