Lets not forget the purpose of the Electoral College

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Dec 15, 2016.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So going by that logic it should be stopping Donald J. Trump from becoming president. If we go by it's meaning. So why all the uproar? People seem to be forgetting it's true purpose. If we are not going to follow these rules when it matters most right now lets abolish it.

2. Zenithal macrumors 68040

The Electoral College has the final say in who becomes President, and they have every right to override the voice of the public if it means protecting the country. I can foresee some members here on this site, coming into this thread and stating it would be dubious of the government IF they went against the will of the people, and that they shouldn't because democracy has spoken, and all that other patriotic potato talk. I'd rather have Mike Pence as President, even if he is an ass.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Meanwhile some states have laws that forbid overriding the electoral college. How is that legal?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Some cities think they can override immigration law. How is that legal?

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Is it solely written into the constitution?

6. Zenithal macrumors 68040

It isn't. But that doesn't stop states trying to go against the federal government.

7. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You apparently think Trump will be a tyrant. I disagree.

Oh noes! It's a Constitutional crisis!

Accept that you lost fair and square and let the healing begin. As for winning the popular vote, the only reason Trump didn't win that is because he didn't try--because it's the electoral college that determines who gets to be president! But you can be proud that your candidate focused her efforts on a losing strategy.

8. citizenzen, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

citizenzen Suspended

When it comes to healing, I'll model it after the healing demonstrated by your side these last eight years.

Oh. Did you hear? Joe Arpiehole had another news conference about Obama's birth certificate.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I really do think he's going to be an epic disaster of a president, however, you are correct. The Trump campaign played their hand effectively and won the Electoral College votes necessary to attain the White House.

The Clinton campaign's argument is to arguing that its not fair that their team lost even though they had more rushing and passing yards. They still didn't score the 270 points they needed to win.

Now, we can argue that the Russians hacked the American electorate's dim attention span. We can argue that the vote was suppressed. We can also argue that the FBI screwed it up. But, nonetheless, Trump is still president under our current—if stupid—rules.

And, we should allow for a peaceful transition to power.

The Electoral College has the ability to refute Trump, but I hope they do not because I believe in the process and the law, even if the Trumpers, along with the weasels in Congress, do not.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

That's OK then. So the only option is war between Left and Right. Guess who has all the guns?

Oh. Did you hear? Some member of the media has penned a piece describing how to violently prevent Trump from taking office.

11. hulugu, Dec 15, 2016

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That was an epic ********. Zullo is a moron.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2016 ---
    Breitbart's staff roster has proven, if for nothing else, that there are dumbasses in the media.

That said, this is basically the plan of most of the "militias" that populate weird sections of America, where guys seriously plot out the end of America and get a little too excited about their "Guns and Ammo" subscription and write "Negan loves Billy" in their notebooks.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

One would have to prove he's not qualified. That would be a tough road if they tried, especially considering he's been through the gauntlet thus far and won. He didn't buy his way in, he didn't get propped into the roll by someone in the establishment and he most certainly didn't earn his votes with help of Putin.

I think Obama actually got something right:

Even Hil liar y said she'd accept a loss and move on:

13. citizenzen Suspended

You ... and jkcerda.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2016 ---
    Better get your guns loaded and ready.

14. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Except Michael Tracey is a conservative journalist whose sole job over the last 20 years has been to disembowel the American media as a foreigner. LOL He's been fired from a variety of papers due to his views and agenda of screwing over hardcore liberals.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Worse than Obama and Carter? Is that even possible?

True. True.

If the rules are stupid, what word is left to describe people voting for Democrats even though they knew from the hacked emails what the truth was: Democrats cheat and lie to win elections. And when they lose, Democrats will do or say anything to try and overturn the results.

And that sort of behavior is why we can't have true democracy.

Now that was just mean. You've not made even the beginning of a case to support such an outlandish claim. For shame!

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There are two big questions.

Was Donald Trump "groomed" by the FSB and Putin? If so, they should reject him for advancing Russia's interests above our own.

Can Donald Trump effectively govern despite his financial interests?

The Electoral College should review both of those questions deeply because they're important and, should evidence come to light, I'm willing to change my opinion about what the Electoral College should do.

17. citizenzen, Dec 15, 2016

citizenzen Suspended

Btw, interesting how quickly you went from, "let the healing begin," to, "it's war!"

That veneer is awfully thin.

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

let them prove the connection
    Yes and legally he and Mike Pence immune from a conflict of interest.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I only have 6 .......registered anyways and yes they are loaded.

20. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Did you miss a word?

21. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

#NeverTrumper huh?

22. Zenithal macrumors 68040

My dearest JK, we're talking about guns, not your little crossbows. I've got an assortment of handguns and long range rifles.

And always looking for cheap reloading supplies if anyone wants to give me a private shout about their source!

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

don't let anyone play the game of fake news on you. the new york daily news just got busted today for falsely putting it out there that Roger Staubach has an issue with Trump over the Arm/Navy Game.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep.

Looks at Thesaurus. Grins.

The Trumpers were sharpening their pitchforks and loading their guns a week before the election, and despite winning the Trump has still complained about "illegal votes" in California.

Moreover, the weasels in Congress started began by stating that they would make Obama a "one term president" and then voted against Obamacare more than 40 times, refused to pass a budget and dinged the U.S. credit rating. They used lawsuits and investigations to hurt the administration and wasted tremendous time, effort and treasure trying to hurt Obama as much as possible, while refusing to govern.

Shame is due to the people who spent eight years screwing around, selling Jerome Corsi books, and "investigating" Obama's birth certificate.

25. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I would suggest reading his articles and not relying on tags. His conservatism is different than American conservatism, but let me make it clear when I say he finds the Democratic and Republican party to be full of pandering idiots.