Lets play a game: How long before Apple drops the 2G 8GB and gives us a 16GB 2.5G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MVApple, Sep 9, 2009.

1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

And at $200 no less?

Didn't Apple do something similar with a mini or nano a shot while back? They released a low capacity player and in a month or so dropped it completely?

I think Apple is still trying to clear old stock.

I say 1 month.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I sorta believe Steve's comments when he says that they want to get something at the sub-$200 mark, so I'd say if it sells it is here to say. The Back-To-School Promotion had to have helped clear stock.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

What about that odd price drop just a little while ago? Why would they drop prices if they didn't have any left? (BTW, that 2G 8GB touch was cheaper than the "new" 2G 8GB touch currently for sale. Oh, hypocrisy. :p).

4. wbeasley macrumors regular

wbeasley

about a month... :)

with 4g USB memory sticks and 8g USB memory sticks getting so close in price at a retail level, it can't cost Apple much more than a coupla bucks to double the memory to 16gb.

i'd be guessing sometime soon they will plug the obvious gap (it's a big jump from 8 to 32g).

and a while later, as costs continue to decline, convert the 16g device over to the new faster internals.

it's a more gradual "refresh" - like Sony used to do with their Walkmans years ago. eventually you add enough value to get people to upgrade as well as gain newbies to the fold with an enticing entry point.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Wrong. I've been saying that word way too many times today. Consumer flash drives use NOR type flash memory. It's cheaper to produce and not intended to be used in a system, like a computer or a media device. Flash-based PMPs like the iPod uses NAND type flash, higher performance, and costs much more to produce than NOR. NAND flash is the type used in SSDs.