Let's play "What feature is apple holding back from the 5 to force you to go 5s?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mellofello, Sep 8, 2012.

1. mellofello, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

mellofello macrumors 65816

Now that the iphone 5 is about to be released. I'm racking my brain for what the 5s selling point will be next year.

3GS was faster processor and better camera(which was all it needed)

4s is Siri

My best guess is maybe NFC?

Place your bets and then come back this time next year to rub it in if you were right.

2. tigress666 macrumors 68040

NFC, thumbprint scanning ability (since they bought it this year I suspect it will be next year we see it, kinda like that bought maps last year and this year we see it).

3. troop231 macrumors 603

4. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Historically they only redesign the look every 2 years, but hey if it pans out you said it first.

5. troop231 macrumors 603

Woops, sorry, I misread the thread title. I thought you meant the main selling feature over the 4S.

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

Honestly, I am positive that the next iPhone will have the A15 Processor. They may just release a A5 quadcore processor. Basically the selling point of this iPhone is :
    *4" Screen 16:9 AR
    *LTE with latest chip to save battery life
    *Quad core in order to save life

Next iPhone:
    *A15 Dual Core
    *Better LTE chip
    *NFC
    *Better Camera (I assume the new iPhone's camera will be the same)

Usually with Apple, the S version is what the original version should have been.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I don't think they ever hoLd back a feature unless it's simply not ready.

8. taedouni macrumors 65816

Trust me they do. I don't blame Apple for doing it but it just makes sense. They are smart and they know that if they release it all now then it will be hard for them to live up next year.

9. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I don't trust you. Do you work for Apple?

To answer your question, the features they were previously working on that are now ready. They have a roadmap like any other manufacturer.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Oh, yes, they do. They don't put all their eggs in one basket. I'm sure there are a number of features they're reserving for the 5S so they can keep the same design and still sell a crapload of them.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nope, this is just conspiracy theory and I don't believe any of it.

Siri is proof otherwise. They rushed Siri to market.

Edit: and it's not putting all of your eggs in one basket. There are always projects incubating at different stages. They have schedules and planned release dates to coincide with certain models. There are probably projects in progress now that won't be ready until 2013 and others in 2014. Sometimes they slip. this is how it works at most companies. But if you think they hold them back just to sell them in the next model, you're just buying into a buch of conspiracy theory bunk.

13. rushluvr macrumors member

It took till what? The 3rd generation just to be able to send an MMS? That wasnt ready till the 3rd iphone? Dumb phones were doing that years before LOL. Other examples of things that were plenty ready but Apple left out of previous gen iphones are copy/paste, LED light, Flash and Java, turn by turn navigation, LTE and probably another dozen I cant think of right now.

14. irDigital0l Guest

Are you saying that Siri should have been on the iPhone 5?

LOL, Apple tested it on the iPhone 4 first, then Apple screwed the iPhone 4 because they needed more features for the iPhone 4S.

Its pretty known and obvious that Siri was the "big thing" for the iPhone 4S. That's all people talked about.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You think Apple held that as a selling point for future models? Lol

Yes

16. irDigital0l Guest

Is that your conspiracy theory or do you have Apple documents or something?

17. rushluvr macrumors member

Well, lets put it this way. If Apple's techs couldnt figure out how to put MMS, copy/paste and recently LTE in their phone, they are incredibly stupid and should be fired immediately. Unless you have another explanation why these features were not on a supposed high end device like an iphone when bargain basement phones had them.

18. sentinelsx, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

sentinelsx macrumors 68010

lol @ nfc. Sure it is ease of payment but a very boring feature to warrant a purchase of the new model. Meh.

I have nfc in my current phone and don't even bother. There is nothing amazing about spending your money faster anyways.

----------

Don't forget that they also had Jobs to yell at them. Couldn't really start adding stuff without his permission now could they?

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's my observation. A "beta" product? Not something typical of Apple.

There have been several articles saying the same.

----------

Do you rally think they couldn't figure it out? I'm sure it was more likely an access issue with AT&T. Not really sure. But to assume they held it back to sell later phones is laughable. Look bad today to sell more phones later? Not a good decision.

Copy/paste was probably a design issue. I'm guessing they brought many implementations to Jobs before he signed off on one and felt it was "Apple" style. Who knows.

Knowing how methodical and how much of a perfectionist Jobs is my basis for believing otherwise. He would never hold out a feature just to increase sales on another model. Not his style. More like he leaves them out if he's not happy they work how he wants them to (Siri being an exception).

Edit: remember, the first iPhone took 5 years of development before making it to market. SLOW METHODICAL PERFECTIONIST.

20. irDigital0l Guest

So your trying to say because Apple never releases a beta and its not ordinary of Apple, they held it back?

Reason they called it a beta was that its an excuse for them for when Siri doesn't work.

If its in beta, you can't argue.

21. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

This

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Exact opposite. I'm saying it was rushed. It should've been held back.

23. irDigital0l Guest

Well at least you admitted that Siri sucked...

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Meh, more like it could be better. I still get good use out of Siri...but I admit it should be better.