Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pipian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
If I set up the internet connection in OSX, and I opened Internet exploder in OS9 classic, would the Internet settings be there from OSX? Or would I have to thru it all again? This goes for the rest of classic too, do settings in OSX stay in OS9 Classis mode?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
As far as i know, Classic will rely on X settings-- TrueBlueEnvironment handles all of the network traffic and routes it to X's connection. But if you start up in 9, your settings will probably not carry over from X...

pnw

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: Let's say I bought a ibook with OSX...

Originally posted by Pipian
If I set up the internet connection in OSX, and I opened Internet exploder in OS9 classic, would the Internet settings be there from OSX? Or would I have to thru it all again? This goes for the rest of classic too, do settings in OSX stay in OS9 Classis mode?

-Pipian

To the second question, and thereby answering the first, no. OS X's Preferences set is stored in a completely different place that OS 9's Preferences Set.

OS X stores a user's Preference set in <Hard Drive>/<user>/Library/Preferences

Whereas in OS 9 it was <Hard Drive>/System Folder/Preferences

Why would you wish to run OS ('s Ei through OS X? Seems odd to me.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Schiffi
Well, the new iBooks can't boot into 9, so I'm guessing you'll have to be in the OSX environment.
You might want to check the tech specs again -- ALL iBooks and eMacs can boot into OS 9 (though not all of them come with an OS 9 disk, SuperDrive eMacs).

Yes, Steve changed his mind on the revamps killing OS 9 because of the whining education customers. Thus no DDR on these updated machines.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have a 900 mhz ibook, and the new model can boot in to 9. It comes preinstalled, but do not come with an OS 9 install disk. Which seems odd to me...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Re: Let's say I bought a ibook with OSX...

Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Pipian

To the second question, and thereby answering the first, no. OS X's Preferences set is stored in a completely different place that OS 9's Preferences Set.

OS X stores a user's Preference set in <Hard Drive>/<user>/Library/Preferences

Whereas in OS 9 it was <Hard Drive>/System Folder/Preferences

Why would you wish to run OS ('s Ei through OS X? Seems odd to me.

Like i said, despite the two OS's not getting along or relying on the same information, I think the Classic construct, what lets Classic run as a program rather than a machine-controlling OS, routes Classic TCP/IP traffic to X's.

Anyone want to try it? install Classic without changing any settings, then run Explorer through classic... Personally, I did this some months ago and programs in Classic can access the internet just fine... I'm just not 100% sure I didn't fiddle with it to make it work...

pnw

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
It works fine, I just did it.
And I know it works with both dial-up and wireless so everything is good, as long as it is performed in classic. It even keeps your home-page set in preferences.

PS. I have never fiddled with the preferences of OS 9 on this computer.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
when running classic, it uses X's network prefs, when booting into os9, you have to set them up - thats the case with my 6month old iBook. Did that already get said, didn't really understand some of the posts previous to this

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by QCassidy352
I have a 900 mhz ibook, and the new model can boot in to 9. It comes preinstalled, but do not come with an OS 9 install disk. Which seems odd to me...

I've got the older 800 MHz iBook, and OS 9 is on a CD called Software Restore 1. But the CD isn't bootable, you need to have X installed first, then run the installer on the Restore CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.