Lets say the new iPhone supports LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Southernboyj, Aug 22, 2012.

?

Which carrier are you going with?

1. AT&T

102 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Verizon

88 vote(s)
    39.8%
  3. Sprint

16 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. T-Mobile/other

15 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I know it's "extremely likely" that the new iPhone will have LTE support.
    This is mostly a thread toward people in the US.

Which carrier will you be going with?

I currently have AT&T but am switching to Verizon for the superior LTE coverage, no charges for FaceTime (I'm looking at you AT&T), and free tethering/personal hotspot with Verizon's recently released plans.

2. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

One of the reasons I switched to Verizon. My area has no AT&T LTE and no forecast for when we'll get it.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm already using both Verizon and AT&T. Of the two, AT&T has served me best for over a decade. As a heavy user of data, I've had the best, fastest connectivity with AT&T. Having never been throttled, I'm completely satisfied.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Ah yes, I should of mentioned my area also has no AT&T LTE (only HSPA+).

6. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I know Verizon has better LTE coverage and better coverage in general, but could anyone enumerate the pros and cons of Verizon in comparison to AT&T. Pricing, phones, plans, etc. I am going to get the iPhone 5 and might consider switching.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If you are not getting a discount and get the same coverage in both areas, it is kind of a wash. The only big difference would be that with an AT&T iphone you can use it on other networks that use SIM cards (assuming it is unlocked).

For me, I live in an area where the coverage is great for both att and verizon, but I get a FAN discount of 25% with ATT, so i stick with them. Also, I still have unlimited with ATT.

If I were going to jump ship, it would probably be to T-mobile b.c 2013 looks really good for them and you will get truly non-capped data that is not terrible (sprint)

8. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Live in Boston. AT&T has LTE in Boston. No problems here. :D

9. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

10. JupiterDoc macrumors member

I feel ATT is better. When you seriously review speed, coverage & buildout of the new improved network, ATT wins.

There are different ways of calculating "better" as there are different legal definitions of "4g." ATT is making the most rational expansion and providing the best service. I speak with some who tell me where they happen to live, this is not true. However, if you Google a few articles on review of cellular networks, ATT is clearly the winner.

11. gta50419 macrumors 6502

Staying with ATT, 3G is more then enough though..

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

have you used LTE...it is mind blowing haha

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this is correct unless you need unlimited talk and text and/or have multiple devices as Verizon doesn't offer individual plans yet I believe AT&T will continue to offer theirs.

14. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Agree

I don't need blazing fast internet for what I use it for. I just need to look up things when I'm out and maps occasionally. Plus to stream movies for the kids occasionally, and 3G is plenty good enough for streaming.

15. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

From what I've looked into, AT&T and Verizon seem very close in price (I am currently on AT&T) however, in June Verizon released new plans called "Share everything" that are competitively priced and heres the big one for me, Tethering is included free. I seriously hated how much AT&T would charge for tethering to use data that is already yours! Then AT&T now stated that it would charge for FaceTime over cellular. Verizon and Sprint won't be charging.

So for about the same price, Verizon allows free tethering (with select plans) won't be charging for FaceTime, and has much more LTE coverage.

With AT&T trying to nickel and dime us at very chance they get, I'm getting away from them.. whats to say Apple won't release another feature they will try and charge us for?

16. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

If I can keep my unlimited data plan I will stay with AT&T. If I can't keep unlimited I will go to Verizon because they have much better lte coverage

17. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'm currently with AT&T, but I'll be switching to Verizon. LTE is available in my area right now with Verizon, with no announced ETA for Albuquerque. Yes, Verizon has slower 3G, but I'll take slower 3G over no signal at all in some areas.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Thanks to Verizon's new crap sharing plans, Sprint's crappy service in NYC, and no T-Mobile iPhone yet....I'll be stuck w/ AT&T holding dearly to my "unlimited" data plan.

19. byteoftheapple macrumors newbie

20. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

It's also battery-blowing, and I only have 200MB to use.

----------

Actually, AT&T gives 4G service for iPhones already (HSPA+).

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

22. batting1000 macrumors 604

Sprint since I'm already on it. I could care less about LTE, all it does is blow through battery.

23. mateo124 macrumors regular

Does anyone know if you can keep your grandfathered AT&T 3G unlimited when they upgrade you to LTE? I'm worried I'll be kicked from it when I upgrade

24. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

If coverage permits, AT&T is the obvious choice as LTE is a GSM based technology.

Though I hope the next iPhone doesn't get LTE. Us Android folks enjoy super fast speeds and iPhone users do nothing but bog down the network. That's exactly what will happen with LTE.

25. willmtaylor, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Off contract now but sticking with Big Red. They have LTE everywhere I am and Ma Bell doesn't.