Let's say you order the current mac mini and 30 days later the new mini is released..

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Miklo, Mar 5, 2014.

  1. Miklo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2014
    #1
    In a situation where a new version of the product you just purchased is released and your return period has just passed, is Apple usually willing to be flexible in its return policy?
     
  2. 808? macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    #2
    14 days return policy as far as I know.
     
  3. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

    p3ntyne

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2014
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #3
    When I bought my first MBP in 2010, I was unaware of the update schedule for the computers and bought it 1 month before the new model came out. One apple store said I could replace it, and one said I couldn't.

    So... It depends.
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    14 days is the return period, there are reports of some people being successful in exchanging their computer when this situation arises.

    More often then not, we see a bunch of angry threads about why apple suddenly released a new model and failed to warn people.
     
  5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #5
    That's life dude. If you need it, buy it. If you don't, then hold off.
     
  6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #6
    This.^ If you need it now then I assure you with a very high level of certainty that the machine you're about to buy will be a top performer. It will perform just as well once the new model comes out. You cannot chase technology, technology will always win out. Buy now if you need it, if not, wait. Remember though, it is hugely possible to buy the latest and greatest and Apple can turn around and do a small silent update. I can't fathom the amount of stress you'll feel then. Actually, maybe you should just wait it out. Be sure there aren't any silent updates either.
     
  7. chrisluce macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    #7
    I just purchased mine last Saturday. I am not to worried about it being that much of a difference in speed etc.
     
  8. Sodner macrumors 68020

    Sodner

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #8
    I got a 27" iMac several weeks ago. Not a cheap machine by any strech. I new one can come out tomorrow. If it does, so be it. There will always be something better just around the corner.
     
  9. DavidG328 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #9
    This should be a default post for 99% of threads.
     
  10. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

    QuantumLo0p

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #10
    I don't know how you feel about such things but I feel strongly about my purchases and I hate buyer's remorse. IMO if you absolutely need it then buy it right now but if not then wait for the next refresh. Sometimes refreshes are minor but sometimes they are major. Missing the latter is causes remorse to rear its ugly head. If you feel purchasing "more" performance up front will put off your next purchase a while longer then you might want to wait for the refresh although Apple would prefer you buy now. That's just my opinion although I'm definitely skewed towards performance.
     
  11. dudedude macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    #11
    OP, I feel your pain. I'm trying to wait it out for now. I realize you can't chase tech because it's never ending. For me personally the idea of a mini with Iris Pro graphics would pretty much be the perfect machine for me right now so that is really what's keeping me on the fence. The processor bump probably wouldn't sway me one way or another.

    I'll probably wait it out through this month. Worst case the minis seem to hold their resale value so if the next one is 100% something I want I'll sell the old one and get the new one. Not always cost effective to do it this way but hopefully the price difference will be marginal.

    One other scenario is I've considered buying a base one and booting from a usb 3.0 enclosure with an SSD, and then just re-purpose or install it once the new one hits (if it's possible). Worse case I end up with an external SSD.

    I'll wait it out a little longer though for now :)
     
  12. paulrbeers, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

    paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #12
    Iris Pro graphics are not happening on the Mini. The cost of the CPU would be about twice the cost of the current processors. The same ones used in the rMBP are $600 processors compared to the $350 used in the current Mid-Mini. You really need to lower your expectations....

    EDIT: Okay technically the 2.0ghz quad core with IRIS pro is a $450 processor, and the 2.6ghz is a $600+, but either way that's a significant increase from today's $350 and $400 processors used in the Mid-Mini.
     
  13. dudedude macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    #13
    I was thinking maybe on the higher end $799 model based on the brix i5 barebone selling for $500. Price is higher because it's not in stock at amazon.

    http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-BRIX...e=UTF8&qid=1394128220&sr=8-3&keywords=brix+i5

    I'd actually be happy with it just bumping up to the HD5000 though as well.

    ----------

    I'm guessing apple would get some sort of a price cut buying in bulk. Would it be the $350-$400 range...maybe not. I think if anything we would maybe see it on the more expensive model.
     
  14. jlus3, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

    JoeG4

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2002
    Location:
    Bay Area, Ca.
    #15
    Shoot i wouldn't even worry about it, if you can get one for $569 or something you'll probably lose $50-60 max selling it on craigslist, maybe not even that.
     
  16. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #16

    1. Except that the Brix uses a desktop model processor which would more than likely be outside the ability of the Mini to dispense with all the heat generated. They already seem to spin up for 45 watt processors, I can't imagine what it would do with a 65 watt!

    2. Yes Apple would get a discount for buying in bulk, but they also currently get the same discount on the CURRENT processors right? So if the current processors are $350, then they probably buy them for $275-300, so getting them for $350-400 is STILL a significant increase is it not?
     
  17. El Hikaru macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2013
    #17
    I hate that happens and would not take the risk. I sit and wait if I were you.
     
  18. dudedude macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    #18
    Wait you are using logic! How dare you! haha.

    1. The i5 is actually 35 watts right? I wonder if it spins up less than the 45 watt i7. Part of why I'm hesitant to actually give the brix a shot is due to fan noise, I'm trying to get away from a bulky loud desktop currently.

    2. Sounds logical. Maybe apple really will wait this out until Broadwell launches (which would really suck).

    I wonder though if a re-design would force out something new from intel? Maybe I am hoping for something that isn't coming. I guess the HD 5000 is more logical...or maybe they will go with something from AMD again for the higher end model's graphics.
     
  19. jimj740, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

    jimj740 macrumors regular

    jimj740

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2013
    Location:
    Pining for the company that once gave us Clarus
    #19
    First of all let me be explicit: I have no idea if or when Apple will update the mini, nor do I have any insight into the processor they may choose, although I am personally holding off on the purchase of two minis that I do not critically need in hopes of an upgrade soon...

    This logic is full of hyperbole. Correct me if I am misinterpreting your statement: "Apple would never consider using the i7-4850HQ (quad core 2.3Ghz with boost to 3.5Ghz Iris Pro 5200 47W) because it costs $50 more than the current i7".

    Apple has shown repeated willingness to change mini prices in $100 increments. I am not stating that they will do this; rather pointing out that it would not be unprecedented and that there are upgrade options for the mini that are both meaningful and feasible.

    Not looking to start a fight, nor claiming I am correct or that there will be an update soon. Just pointing out that these threads are full of a lot of opinions posing as facts.

    I look forward to seeing what Apple actually does!

    -JimJ
     
  20. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #20
    Oh that's absolutely correct. This is all based on the assumption that Apple does NOT raise the price of the Mini. The original mini was $500 (if I remember correctly), so they have shown that they are more than willing to raise the base price.

    Further, I NEVER said they "would never".... I simply said that "I would lower expectations" because the cost factor alone makes the Iris Pro graphics out of reach (of course this is based on the current prices). The question is though, at what point do you price the Mini out as its intended purpose (as an entry point to the Mac Ecosystem).

    I think it is much more reasonable to expect IF there is a Haswell update to see the HD4600 GPU used as those seem to hit roughly the same price points as Ivy Bridge. Maybe the HD5000. Really though, never the HD4600 or HD5000 is really all that revolutionary unlike the Iris Pro....

    ----------

    I had a 2011 base i5 and then sold it and bought an i7 2012. My i5 definitely caused the fans to spin up a lot less (but then again it was less than half as powerful!).
     
  21. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2007
    #21
    You have to remember Apple buys in bulk. The prices you are looking at are consumer prices and have nothing to do with what apple pays intel for processors.

    Apple has used the macbook pros processors since 2011. I see no reason that would change now. It makes perfect business sense to use the same processors as the macbook pros since buying in bulk gets them the lower price as opposed going with a completely different set of processors.
     
  22. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #22
    Makes perfect sense to keep using them IF the cost doesn't change but they have. That's why the base Haswell MacBook Pro is no longer 1200 is it? and yes they buy them in bulk but that means ALL processors are cheaper right? Thus the price of a 350 might be 275 and a 450 might be 350-375. That's still a price difference of 75. So does Apple eat the 75? Raise the base Mini like they did the MacBook Pro? Or use different processors altogether?
     
  23. OneMike macrumors 603

    OneMike

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    #23
    Depends on the store. I'd bet you'd be able to though.
     
  24. iamthedudeman, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

    iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2007
    #24
    No it doesn't mean all processors are cheaper. Just each individual CPU they order in bulk. Also depends on the contract Apple signs each year and CPU target prices and price ranges for each quarter that the contract was negotiated for.

    It sounds so simple when actually its not. Apple is not some little company that buys a few processors. They negotiate contracts with intel and have price guarantees.

    The bigger prices have to do with the iris parts with the additional esram. Intel raises their prices to make up for this variance.

    Apple also might only pay 60 percent of consumer cost. Depending on the contract. And it could pay 50 percent depending on margins.

    And yes Apple would eat the prices if they had to. Remember processor prices always go down. They were higher when the 2012 macbook pro models were released. After a few months they went down.

    They can also save the money on other parts that go into the machine. Anything that effects the overall cost of the machine.

    It would not make good business sense to buy other processors when those processors would most likely be more expensive because the number(amount) they would buy for would be much less and the bulk pricing and price guarantees would be much less.
     
  25. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #25
    Yes it IS that simple. All CPUs are cheaper for Apple than their tray price which is what a small company would pay for. Now would the reduction in cost be the same across all CPU's? Of course not. Those that they buy higher volumes at would get a greater reduction, but then again it also depends on what Intel wants to get rid of as well.


    Yes they would get a greater reduction in cost of the CPU, but are you really telling me that they would get a 50% reduction in CPU cost? No. At best it would be a 20-30% reduction which wouldn't even get it to the INITIAL cost of the CPU's used in the Mini (which as you pointed out would most likely be cheaper than they were when they were released).

    Apple has not shown any interest in eating costs. In fact they will raise the price in order to cover their costs. Show me a case where Apple has eaten their entire profit margin for a product?

    I understand you WANT Iris Pro graphics in a Mini. Who wouldn't? But unless Apple raises the prices by $100 across they board, it will not happen...
     

Share This Page