Lets see how the justice system works: high value terrorist ordered released.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Surprised this wasn't posted in here:

Essentially all of his confessions came from EITs which will not hold up in court, so we are releasing a terrorist. That is unless someone stands in and holds him from release (which all of the liberals on this board should be against).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704841304575138013356640710.html

A suspected al Qaeda organizer once called "the highest value detainee" at Guantánamo Bay was ordered released by a federal judge in an order issued Monday.

Mohamedou Ould Slahi was accused in the 9/11 Commission report of helping recruit Mohammed Atta and other members of the al Qaeda cell in Hamburg, Germany, that took part in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Military prosecutors suspected Mr. Slahi of links to other al Qaeda operations, and considered seeking the death penalty against him while preparing possible charges in 2003 and 2004.

U.S. District Judge James Robertson granted Mr. Slahi's petition for habeas corpus, effectively finding the government lacked legal grounds to hold him. The order was classified, although the court said it planned to release a redacted public version in the coming weeks.

etc...

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I don't think anyone likes the idea of a dangerous person out on the streets. But I tell you what, I really would hate it if they could lock people up (you, me, them, anybody) for long periods of time without the burden of proof that (I, you, them) are dangerous.

Bring forth the evidence in court and let the judges rule, not the guys with guns that tell us to beware.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Just think, if he hadn't been tortured, and was given a fair trial, he might be in custody for a long time.

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you...

5. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Unfortunately we will have to release a real criminal and put lives back in danger in order for you to get your point across...

Any bets on whether the Administration steps in on this one?

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

OP, are you saying the system worked or did not work?

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly my thoughts.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, they should have been tried by military tribunals a long time ago.

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

If we can imprison and tortore people indefinitely w/o the supervision of a just legal system then we might as well quit fighting the "terrorists" today because we are they.

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

That's what you get when you flout international law. Maybe next time the United States can demonstrate that it is able to play nice, and won't torture suspected terrorists. The Bush administration and its desire/willingness to torture is solely to blame for this.

11. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

For the justice system to work we will have to release this highly dangerous terrorist. I am just waiting to see what Obama does.. because I know its going to rile up the left.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The entire criminal justice system is premised on the idea that it is better to let 100 guilty people walk to be certain 1 innocent person does not go to jail.

It was obvious as it was happening that what GWB and his administration were doing would prevent any real criminal justice occuring. I think that's part of why they were so against any type of criminal trial.

13. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Thats our criminal system for our own citizens.. not for war criminals trying to blow up strategic targets inside the country.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why do you think Obama will do anything?

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It's for everyone. Period.

16. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Not since the Supreme Court ruled a few years ago that Gitmo detainees had a right to habeas corpus.

17. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Because he has already tainted any trials that we hold by saying that none of these high value terrorists will be unleashed regardless of outcome.

Your illusion of this justice system might be coming through pink tinted glasses, its a political game.. we close gitmo and we keep another place open across seas, same ****, different name.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

so the only "evidence" was what they got him to say by torture and they had nothing else?

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, he doesn't have that power. That rests with the judicial branch.

Perhaps.

20. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

These incredulous legal decisions, especially made during wartime when our American soldiers are fighting on our behalf on two separate theaters of battle, trouble me greatly. The judge that rendered such insanity, U.S. District Judge James Robertson, doesn't seem troubled that we are now fighting a war and in his mind we "lack legal grounds to hold" the enemy. Wow! Imagine this same judge on the beach at Normandy, warming 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions not to detain the enemy lest we run afoul the enemy's legal rights! More concerning to me, however, is apparently this judge seems to think that the enemy, terrorist Mohamedou Ould Slahi, who is accused of helping recruit terrorist Mohammed Atta, is 1) subject to US law despite not being a US citizen, and 2) somehow, during wartime, to be released to threaten more Americans, which doesn't seem to trouble Judge James Robertson. Incredulous!

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sounds to me like a judge completely detached from politics and instead doing his job without bias. What a shame.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well the US have to make up their minds:
    either they officially declare war for once and call enemy combatants such, treat them according to POW laws and then can have military tribunals
    or
    don't declare war, treat terrorists as criminals, treat them like civil prisoners and have normal judges

currently the US doesn't declare war (opposed to WW2 so your analogy falls flat right there), doesn't rate terrorists as either combatants or criminals, doesn't treat them like either normal prisoners or POWs,and still want military tribunals

hardly how the self proclaimed "beacon of democracy" should behave

and since you claimed WW2 ... it was also the prime example of a system running away with not caring for "legal rights" and disregard for human life with no barrels hold on death penalty

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You may find them incredible, but I very much doubt that they could be incredulous.

It is not wartime, nor is wartime an excuse. Your soldiers, like ours, are not fighting on your behalf. They are supposed to be participating in an international police action. In Iraq they are not even fighting. In Afghanistan they are supposed to be supporting a legitimate national government. Misstating the premise makes your subsequent assertions worthless.

I refer you to my first point. First rule for effective pompous bombast is to acquire a dictionary. Veritas or inanitas, the choice is yours.

24. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

If you deny reality the rest of your post suffers. Just saying... There are in fact differing legal considerations and applicabilities based solely on whether nations are at war. To deny this, as you did, makes your point irrelevant in this instance, as incredulous as that may seem to you! Should you wish to revise and amend your assessment of war -in Iraq and Afghanistan between Coalition Nations and Al Qaeda/terrorist entities - your point could be pursued further.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What constitutes a war? Just asking...