Let's see your electoral maps

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iMacZealot, Oct 6, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

The New York Times has a great webapp that allows you to play around with the electoral map and make up your own. They also provide a lot of great information about the tossup states, including recent polls and the state's election history.

Here's mine. I think Obama will win this 60/40 (that doesn't necessarily mean that I want him to win 60/40).

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Here's mine.

I'm betting Obama will take Nevada, Colorado, New Hampshire, Ohio, Florida, Virginia, and Missouri.

Missouri is currently weakly Republican (by only 1% according to http://www.electoral-vote.com/), and it has been a bell weather state for the past 48 years. Not to mention the fact that the economic situation is likely to get worse for a while longer, and this will improve Obama's position even further.

Obama is also ahead in Virginia, where he's been registering new voters at an amazing clip.

North Carolina is technically tied at the moment, but I think it will narrowly go for McCain.

Otherwise, at this point Obama will sweep all the swing states.

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Here's mine.

I'm gonna say the only reddish state Obama will take is Virginia but that still gives him the win.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Here's mine.

I still can't tell about Missouri. The polls seem to change daily, with the lead flipping almost as frequently.

I saw some news in the last couple of days that has me confident about VA and GA, and fairly confident about NC, which was a happy surprise.

Not counting chickens before they hatch, though... 28 days to go.

I go to election training tomorrow (I run my local precinct), which is my sign that things are in the home stretch.

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Here's the brilliant thing. McCain needs to take all of FL, OH, NC, VA, IN, MO, and CO for him to mathematically win at the moment.

I think I will be sleeping well the next few weeks as long as nothing much changes.

Oh, and here is another map site called 270towin that has electoral maps of every election back to 1789. :D

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If the poll analysts at fivethirtyeight.com have it right, the results should look something like this.

Obama landslide; only true toss-up states are NC, IN, MO, and NV. Even GA is in play.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Scarily enough, I think it'll possibly come down to this.

8. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

As of right now, I think it looks very good for Obama... Here's mine

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I could actually see it goint this well but we'll probably see more like this.

10. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I want some of what you're on.:p

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Me too -- but only if it wears off before election day!

13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

IMO, this is how everything will play out

Results

I might be overly optimistic, but I honestly think that this could be the closest election in history.

Don

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ooh. That would suck for McCain. Tying the election, against all odds. Most prognosticators think Obama would win the tiebreaker.

15. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

16. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Isn't it the Senate that decides who wins in the event of a tie? Because if it did, Cheney would break the inevitable tie that would occur in the Senate. I'm probably wrong on this. My History teacher from last year would probably kill me if he saw this:D

Don

17. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The House of Representatives votes for the President in case of a tie.

18. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Then in that case it could tern out very badly for McCain if I'm correct in my assumptions. We'll see come the 4th.

Don

19. Queso macrumors G4

I really hope it doesn't go to the House. The last thing the USA needs right now is another four years of people talking about stolen elections and such. Leave all the division in the Bush era where it belongs.

20. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I agree with you on that. But I can assure, if Obama wins he somehow rigged the election (that's my opinion and I can't offer proof of it, so don't call me out on it!).

Don

21. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

This is whats going to happen! :D

22. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So if you can't prove it, get out of PRSI, because this forum doesn't like people who pull facts out of their arse like that.

And maybe Obama will win because more people want him as president. Ever think of that one?

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I advise you not to waste your breath on a teenager who thinks he's right. ;)

Or, as Mark Twain once said, "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

25. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

North Carolina may go to McCain, and I think it's too late for a state that was pro-McCain as late as last week to move to Obama. There's simply just not enough time as what we see it the candidates reiterating their own stances preaching to the middle.

Even if North Carolina goes to McCain, all the other swing states will go to Obama by a nice margin, and some by a slim margin.

The election will be closer than any pure landslide, but electoral vote-wise, it will be a landslide for Obama. While this has been tracked from last year, the swings every several days have been very mild, so being up 6-8 points in such a slow moving voting bloc, Obama is too far ahead statistically for anything normal to change the vote.

Obama would literally have to self-destruct with twenty-something days left in the race. It would be unlike anything any of us saw in our lifetime for someone with such a commanding electoral vote lead so close to the election to blow it. If Obama loses, it will be seen as one of the great 11th hour chokes in the history of electoral vote politics.