Let's sort out this name business once and for all

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rennir, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Rennir macrumors 6502

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting tired all of the iPhone 5 vs. iPhone 6 vs. iPhone whatever arguments popping up every time the next generation iPhone is brought up. First of all, does it really matter whether others refer to it as the iPhone 5 or 6? No one knows what the next iPhone will be called besides people working in apple, and any extrapolation based upon 5 previous models and their names seems tenuous at best to me. Everyone knows what someone is referring to when they say either iPhone 5 or iPhone 6 or iPhone LTE. The point of language is to communicate knowledge and as long as what people want to say is being communicated efficiently, I fail to see why we should be having arguments over the name. And for those that want to correct others just to be technically correct, despite your best rationalizations, you can't be sure that the next iPhone will be called the iPhone 6 either. So maybe you have a higher degree of certainty in your belief; that degree is marginal. It just seems like such a big waste of time arguing over the name of the next iPhone that could be spend debating on worthwhile topics instead. Thoughts? Will people that normally go around correcting others for using the name iPhone 5/6 share as to why they feel the need to do so?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you think starting this thread is going to stop people speculating on the name of the next iPhone, I've got some ocean front property in Iowa to sell you.

3. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

You made a thread about the name describing how you hate threads that deal with arguments over the name. Okay then.

4. Givmeabrek, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

It's either the 4S2, 4G, or maybe the 5G. Might even be the 7 if you count the stolen prototypes. Or maybe the iPhone SJ for obvious reasons. I heard they would skip over the 6. :D

5. Rennir thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it can't hurt to try can it? Worst case scenario is that nothing is solved, and I waste my time. Call me idealistic if you like.

I made a thread in order to prevent people from arguing about the name from here on out. Naturally, to be germane to the topic, my post had to talk about arguments over the next iphone's name. My thinking is that if I can use logic to convince people that it's pointless to argue over the name, people would stop arguing over it. Maybe my original post didn't convey that very well? If so, would you mind giving suggestions for better diction to use?

6. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

The arguing won't stop. That's the nature of forums.